Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Apricot Crumble Tart

This week's selected recipe at Cook The Book Fridays (CtBF), is Apricot Crumble Tart. CtBF is an online group of bloggers who are currently cooking through David Lebovitz's cookbook, My Paris Kitchen.

Apricot Crumble Tart is a delicious tart, which has a base made with buttery dough, the filling with fresh apricot slices and the top is a crumble made with whole almonds, sugar, flour, butter, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon.

For the dough, I have reduced the amount of sugar by half, as I prefer my tart bases to be less sweet. With the reduced amount of sugar, the dough turns out really well too. Secondly, I have used canned apricots for the filling instead of fresh. I did not reduce the sugar for the filling, using the full amount of 3 tablespoons as mentioned in the recipe. Even though the canned apricots are soaked in syrup, I was very surprised to find that the apricots are very tart and not sweet at all and have even sprinkled an extra tablespoon of sugar. I have omitted the almond extract for the filling. (my seldom used little bottle of almond extract has expired!  oops...)

The crumble topping is made by processing whole almonds in the food processor along with flour, brown sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon until the almonds are broken up into very small pieces. Chopped cold butter is added in, and pulse until the mixture clumps together. Refrigerate until needed. 

I have omitted the salt for both the dough and the crumble topping since I've used salted butter.



The dough is press on the bottom of a greased 9" springform pan, covering a little less than halfway up the sides. Place the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes before blind bake by covering the dough with foil with pie weights for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and weights, then continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes until the dough is brown.

Add the filling to the baked shell evenly. Then crumble the topping over the apricots and continue to bake until the crumble topping is browned.



This tart smells incredibly delicious from the cinnamon, vanilla and the nutty almonds. I thought that this tart is really good! The base of the tart is buttery and tender. The apricot filling is tart and not too sweet, which is really nice. I love the crumble topping. It was fragrant from both the vanilla and cinnamon, buttery and nutty. The three layers are so perfect together! 



Served with a scoop (or two!) of vanilla ice cream! Yummilicious!

To view everyone's lovely tart at CtBF, the link is here. If you have the book or thought of getting one, please do, and join us! Full details here.



15 comments:

  1. Crumble or streusel coffee cake is always a favourite in our house. Yours look incredibly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful !!! I love apricots my favorite summer's fruit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one good looking tart and looks great with the ice cream. It is nice to know that canned apricots work too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crust is absolutely gorgeous and your tart looks beautiful. It's interesting to note that canned apricots work with this - that makes it a year-round option!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious, Joyce. Nice to know it works with canned fruit for the off season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tart turned out wonderfully! It looks really tasty and I'm glad to hear that canned apricots work just as well as fresh ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of a scoop or two (more likely three for me!) of ice cream to go with it! Ok, I see the chunky bits of whole almonds there in the crumble!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Interesting that you used canned apricots. Will have to remember that! Well done! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE adding apricots in baked goods. I would have the two scoops of ice cream on top please ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! We love apricots and this sounds like a perfect use of them. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your crust looks thick as well as delicious, probably the best photo I've seen of the crust. Mine was a little thin on the bottom. Didn't you love the crumble? I'll use it on other pastries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It look so yummy! I must try them one of these days! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yumm such a great combo crumble and a tart!. Have good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tart looks lovely, the crumble was great- wasn't it? It did need the ice cream too.

    ReplyDelete