Wheat germ is full of natural goodness. It contains vitamin E, folate, phosphorus, thiamin, zinc and magnesium. The texture of this bread is not as fluffy but it is soft and it stays soft the next day too. Overall, this bread tastes really good. Definitely will be making this wholesome bread again. I omitted the raisins as I wanted a plain wholemeal bread.
Wheat Germ Raisin Bread
(adapted from "Magic Bread" by Alex Goh)
Ingredients A :
120gm bread flour
85gm boiling water
320gm bread flour
80gm wholemeal flour
80gm toasted wheat germ
120gm overnight sponge dough
20gm milk powder
9gm instant yeast
Ingredients C :
240gm cold water
1 nos cold egg
Ingredient D :
Ingredients E :
- Add the boiling water from A into flour, mix until well-blended to form dough. Cover and set aside to cool. Keep it into refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
- Mix B until well blended. Add in C and knead to form rough dough. Add in A and knead until well blended.
- Add in D, knead to form elastic dough. Let it proof for 40 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Mould it round and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Flatten the dough then roll it up like swiss roll. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Repeat this process one more time. Place 3 pieces of dough into a greased sandwich loaf tin (size : 20 x 11 x 11cm). Makes 2 loaves.
- Let it proof for 50 minutes or until 80% full. Cover with lid.
- Bake at 220C for 35 minutes. Remove it immediately from the tin when it is baked.
100gm bread flour
60gm water (room temperature)
1/4 tsp instant yeast
Mix water and yeast until well blended. Add in flour and mix to form dough. Let it proof for 30 minutes. Wrap it up and refrigerate overnight.
(my notes : there is no instruction when to add in the raisins. I guess Mr Alex Goh has missed this step! The usual timing will be at step 3)