Sunday, May 29, 2011

Chocolate, Walnut and Prune Cake

This is the third recipe that I've made from "Cake Keeper Cakes" and is another winner! I've already tried a loaf cake, a round cake and now a bundt cake. They are all good. I'm glad that I've found this book at the local bookstore. I have never heard of Lauren Chattman before this, but I like simple cakes, and all 100 recipes in this book looks simple and good, so I decided to get this book as it was on sale, and keeping my fingers crossed that this will be a good book! Well, so far so good!



My new Wilton bundt pan sure makes baking easier. I'm on a bundt cake craze now!   : )




This cake is tender, soft and moist and if you are like me, and do not like overly sweet cake, I would suggest to follow the measurement of 1 cup of brown sugar, but reduce the white sugar to only 1/3 cup, though the original calls for 1 cup of white sugar.  I only use 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/3 cup of white sugar, and the sweetness is just right, it gets slightly sweeter the next day.


A slice of this cake is really good with a cup of warm spiced tea.




A bite into this cake, and you will taste the sweet tanginess of the prunes combines with the chocolaty nutty cake and the sweet lingering smell of the brandy. It tasted even better the next day, when the sweetness and flavours are more pronounced, especially the brandy, mmm, really good! Make this a day or two ahead, if you are serving it to guests, if it can last that long!



I'm wondering what I'll be baking next from this book, perhaps something from the "Snacking Cakes" chapter.

I'm sharing this with,
Sweets For A Saturday hosted by Sweet As Sugar Cookies
Sweet Tooth Friday hosted by Alli n Son
Bake With Bizzy 2 hosted by Bizzy B.Bakes
Potluck Sunday hosted by Mommy's Kitchen


Chocolate, Walnut and Prune Cake
(adapted from "Cake Keeper Cakes" by Lauren Chattman)
Serves  10 to 12
3 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar (I use 1/3 cup)
1 cup prunes, chopped
1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup Armagnac or brandy

  1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan and dust with flour.
  2. Combine the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla in a glass measuring cup and lightly beat. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
  3. Combine the butter and sugars in a mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice as necessary.
  4. With the mixer on medium-low speed, pour the egg mixture into the bowl in a slow stream, stopping the mixer once or twice to scrape down the sides.
  5. Turn the mixture on low speed and add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down the sides of a bowl after each addition. Mix in the prunes, walnuts, and Armagnac until just combined. Do not overmix.
  6. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake the cake until it is firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then invert it onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.
  7. Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.

35 comments:

  1. Don't you love when you buy a new cookbook and every recipe you try is a winner? I need to buy myself a Wilton bundt pan I think, your bundt cake is absolutely gorgeous! Mine doesn't come out quite as nice. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at the texture. so porous and soft. It has come out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake look amazing! I love it! xgloria

    http://canelakitchen.blogspot.com

    Problems with google again! I comment like anonymous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing, and I have some coffee and brandy prunes in my refrigerator, they will go great in this cake. I am making your Chocolate Caramel Banana Upside Down cake for today's Sunday Cafe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shape of your cake! I must get one of those Bundt pans.. :) By the way, does it matter if I use just an ordinary round baking pan?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a splendid cake for a Sunday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cake looks yummy.. love the color very much..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I just stumbled on your blog. That cake looks amazing. I've been thinking about buying a bundt tin for a little while now, and I think your recipe has just tipped me over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! That looks so tasty :) I like the sneaky cognac in the recipe. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhhh.. this looks so tastyyyy!

    Have a great weekend,
    Lucy,

    ReplyDelete
  11. The shape of the cake is so pretty...! I've never had chocolate and prunes combined together, but I can imagine perfectly well that they go well together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cake looks beautiful - chocolatey and delicious! Love the flavor combo too - would pair nicely with a glass of port - YUM! Looking forward to your next cake installment:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so decadent and delicious and your photos are gorgeous! I need a new Bundt pan, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Una combinación muy buena ,adoro el chocolate y sé que tu preparación es magnífica,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How perfect does your bundt cake look! Great post and recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bundt pan has been on my list ... now I have to buy one. :)

    Cake looks so yummy and moist.

    Vardhini
    VardhinisKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks beautiful! your right, that is alot of sugar. love when you find a great recipe book :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a stunner! A bundt pan instantly dresses up your cake without any effort right?
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  19. i want to get a bundt pan too! :D
    the cake look so fluffy, moist and chocolatey! im sure it taste yummy! (:

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the shape of your new bundt pan! I also love the looks of the cake you made in it. :) The texture looks perfect- I really could go for a slice (or two?) about now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice pan! I really love bundt shapes. And what a great recipe to start off with! Your cake looks really mouthwatering. Although, I'd take your advice and reduce the sugar a tad!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cake looks stunning,super spongy,moist and prefect, love to have a slice rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ooh the shape of the bundt pan sure makes the cake looks smooth and yummy. good investment!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks amazing. The prunes, no doubt added a lot of moisture to this rich dens chocolate cake. Beautiful.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  25. That cake looks so rich and delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE bundt cakes! Yum this sounds absolutely terrific : )

    ReplyDelete
  27. It was beautiful this cake, sensational! Have a nice week. Bye, Marta

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello friends,
    Thank you for stopping by and your lovely comments. Wish a very good week to everyone!

    Hi Food Glorious Food,
    I think that it would be OK to bake this in a loaf pan, though I think that you might need two pans for this, depending on the size of your loaf pans. Hope you enjoy trying this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My dear friend
    Thank you for this wonterful cake!!!
    I will make it the weekend, for my childrens!!!
    Many greetings and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very beautifully baked, looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a flavorful sounding cake. You definitely can't go wrong with chocolate. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is a great looking cake! you know what, i just ordered this book before i went for my holidays, shld be getting this in 2 weeks time!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the post.
    very knowledgeable blog.
    Prune and walnut cake

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, just wanna find out if I could opt OUT the cocoa powder as I do not like chocolate very much. Do I need to substitute with the AP flour then ? Please advice

    Thanks and regards
    Berry Berry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Berry Berry
      I have not tried with all AP flour, but I supposed you could sub the cocoa powder with AP flour with the same amount. I hope the cake would turn out well for you! Happy Baking!

      Delete