Sunday, May 8, 2011

Peppermint Twist Cupcake for Happy Mother's Day


HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY !


Something to ponder ! I have shared this last November,  now is a good time to share this again!


4 YEARS OF AGE Y My Mommy can do anything! 
8 YEARS OF AGE Y My Mom knows a lot! A whole lot!
12 YEARS OF AGE Y My Mother doesn't really know quite everything.
14 YEARS OF AGE Y Naturally , Mother doesn't know that , either!
16 YEARS OF AGE Y Mother? She's hopelessly old-fashioned.
18 YEARS OF AGE Y That old woman? She's way out of date!
25 YEARS OF AGE Y Well , she might know a little bit about it.
35 YEARS OF AGE Y Before we decide , let's get Mom's opinion.
45 YEARS OF AGE Y Wonder what Mom would have thought about it?
65 YEARS OF AGE Y Wish I could talk it over with Mom.




Made this cupcake for Mothers' Day. Here's to all Mothers!




I'm sharing this with
Sweets For A Saturday over at Sweet As Sugar Cookies
Cookbook Sundays over at Mom's Sunday Cafe
Sweet Tooth Friday over at Alli n Son
Bake With Bizzy over at Bizzy B. Bakes


Peppermint Twist Cupcakes
(adapted from "The Big Book of Cupcakes" by Betty Crocker)
Makes 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes :
 2-3/4  cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening or butter
1-2/3 cups sugar
5 egg whites
2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1-1/4 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
red paste food colour


For the Peppermint Frosting :
5 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
6 to 8 tablespoon milk


For Garnish :
red food colour
  1. Heat oven to 350F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
  2. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. In large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/3 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about 1/3 mixture at a time, add milk, about 1/2 at a time, beating just until blended.
  4. Spoon 1-1/2 cups batter into small bowl; stir in 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and paste food colour to make red batter.
  5. Into each muffin cup, spoon about 1 tablespoon white cake batter. Top with about 1 tablespoon red batter, then 1 tablespoon white batter. With table knife, draw an "S" in batter of each muffin cup to swirl batter.
  6. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to cooling racks to cool.
  7. Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat powdered sugar, butter, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and 6 tablespoons milk with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth and spreadable. Spread scant 2 tablespoon frosting on each cupcake.
  8. With tiny paintbrush, "paint"  liquid food colour in swirl pattern on frosting on each cupcake. (I just mix half the frosting with red food colour, put both the white and red frosting in a piping bag and pipe out a swirl pattern)

My Notes :
~ for half a recipe, I only got 9 cupcakes.
~ I use 100gm sugar for half a recipe for the cupcake, the rest of ingredients; just use half from original
~ for the frosting; half from the original



37 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is great looking cupcake. I haven't thought of what to cook for my mother.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy great cupcakes, mint is one of my favorites. I love the list, so appropriate for this post! Enjoy your day my friend and Happy Mother's day to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cupcakes are sooo sweet :) Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My beloved friend
    I'm coming back from holidays.
    Lovely words for Mother's day!!!
    I wish you all best for your family!
    Lovely cupcaces!!!
    Thank you for the recipe!
    Many greetings and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Happy Mother's day to you too. These would be the perfect dessert.

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/05/05/homemade-coffee-creamer/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hermoso cupcake se ve esponjoso y rico,lindo homenaje a las madres del mundo,feliz día de la madre que recibas muchos cariños junto a tu familia,en Chile lo celebramos mañana domingo.FELICDADES,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful cupcake! happy mothers day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What yummy looking cupcake. The pink and white on the icing is so cute :) Those look so cute and girly. I love your little what we think of mom through the years stuff. I'm going to have to email that to my mom! Hope you have a Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yout cupcake turned out wonderful, I love the swirl insidea :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cupcakes! Peppermint is one of my favorite dessert flavors and I find I hardly ever see it around. Glad to see it take center stage for such a special day :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy mother's day.... mom evolved tru the years... we too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok..we are dropping by yr hse today..lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. The beautiful pinky cupcakes with pretty swirls are perfect for Mother's Day!
    Enjoy the day!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that bit about mum at the beginning. It's so, so true! I'm 19 so just getting past that 'mum is way out of date part'. Lovely cupcakes too, I love the swirly pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved reading your post.. those wording were really touching.. you made me nostalgic..
    muffins looks awesome.. the frosting and the idea of usin both colors in piping bag is really great.. thanks a bunch for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll take one of these lovely cupcakes! so pretty! happy mother's day to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What gorgeous cupcakes! I love the pink swirls throughout the frosting and the cake. Perfect for Mom!
    And your poem is so very true! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the poem :) Happy Mother's day !
    These cupcakes are a stunner ~ the pink swirls are too good, so cute n girly!!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yum, these cupcakes look divine and I have been wanting one ever since I saw them on my sidebar and I will be making them soon! Thanks for sharing! Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very gorgeous and pretty looking cupcakes, Hope u had a wonderful Mother's day..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty absolutely perfect for Mother's Day!
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your wee anecdote about the stages of motherhood - so very true :-)

    These cupcakes look gorgeous, and I would love to have made them for my mum if she was still around.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and your lovely comment - it was so lovely to hear from you and your visit meant a lot.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. absolutely delightful cupcakes - The pictures are incredible can almost taste the frosting! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi everyone,
    Thank you for stopping by and all your lovely wishes! I hope that all of you had a wonderful and fun time celebrating Mother's Day with your loved ones. Wishing all of you a very good week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mom's would be glad if you give this cupcake as a gift for mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. No doubt it tastes as good as it looks!! I am a new follower of your blog and hope that you will visit ours soon!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the saying your started with - so true!

    What gorgeous and delicious-sounding cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very good!! I loved. Have a nice day. Kisses. Marta

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for this post, I am a Mum so I take a bite out of your lovely cupcake!

    Are you also a Mum?

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  30. These cupcakes are heavenly!! I love them! What lovely look! Hope you had a lovely Moms day gloria

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are gorgeous! I like the little poem too - so true!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's so sweet of you. Happy Belated Mother's day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my gosh! I love this. Perfect for a little girls birthday party too! I love the mom quote, very true.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is a beauty. How can your destroy the perfect look by taking a bite. I guess, I could just manage.

    Would you please link this up to Bake with Bizzy, a new linky, I just put up. What a recipe to start this off with.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What gorgeous cupcakes!! I adore peppermint and I would love these!! I love how you swirled the icing and how the cupcake has layers of pink and yellow! You couldn't ask for a more perfect cupcake to honor mom!! :)

    ReplyDelete