Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Recipe rewind because some things are too good to miss

"Recipe rewind because some things are too good to miss", 
Recipe rewind, because in the beginning there is a blogger who has no readers. She still posts great food in hopes that the readers will come ....


How true that is! That was written by the lovely Melynda of Mom's Sunday Cafe. I was reading about her Recipe Rewind posts and found how true that was for me too! I remembered when I first started my blog, the only readers and commenters are my sisters. Over the months that followed, the numbers of readers and commenters increased very, very slowly. But I still post recipes, in the hope that the readers will come.....! Sounds familiar?  :)

So I'm joining Melynda at Mom's Sunday Cafe for her Recipe Rewind this week by sharing one of my family's favourite again, as what Melynda says "some things are too good to miss". I have posted this previously here, on 29th April 2010, to be exact!

Hop over to Mom's Sunday Cafe and see Melynda's Recipe Rewind for this week, she has a lovely Prune Cookies which I have bookmarked to make!

My Recipe Rewind : Steamed Chicken with Gravy
A simple and easy dish to prepare for dinner. It's delicious, very tasty and it doesn't take much time to prepare. I like to steam the chicken till well done where you won't find any traces of slightly red or pinkish meat meaning that the meat is slightly undercooked. And if you are serving it to children, then it is advisable to cook it till well done. After steaming, there would be some steaming liquid in the steaming tray, this is the liquid collected from the chicken during steaming and very tasty. It is then used to cook the gravy and pour over the chicken. Delicious! Try out this simple, easy and tasty Chinese dish. Enjoy!


This photo was  from my previous post.







I love this dish as the natural sweetness and tastiness of the chicken all comes together without any addition of bottled sauces. My son would really look forward to his meal when he knows I'm cooking this for dinner. I've added more spring onions (about 1 cup chopped spring onions), harvested from my garden, as everyone in my house loves spring onions, and it really goes well with this chicken dish. You may use fresh coriander leaves instead. 

Make sure the chicken is really fresh and you will be rewarded with a tasty dish!
Steamed Chicken with Gravy
Ingredients for steaming
one half of a large chicken
1 tbsp ginger juice
some salt, about 2 tsp, or to taste

Ingredients for the gravy
2 tbsp chopped ginger
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp chopped red chilli
2 tbsp chopped spring onion, or more
some cornstarch solution (2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp water)

Method :
To steam chicken :

Clean chicken and put on steaming tray. Rub ginger juice and salt all over chicken half. Steam on high heat about 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken and keep aside to cool. Retain liquid from steaming tray. Keep aside. When chicken is cool, cut to bite sized pieces and arrange on a plate.

To prepare the gravy :

Heat about 1 tbsp oil. Saute chopped ginger and garlic till fragrant and slightly brown. Add in chopped red chilli and stir for a minute. Pour in the steaming liquid retained from above and let it simmer for about 1-2 minutes. Test for saltiness, add salt if necessary. Add in chopped spring onion and some cornstarch solution. Stir and pour gravy over chopped chicken. Serve hot. 

24 comments:

  1. This Recipe Rewind is such a great idea! It is so true that some of our best recipes in the "earlier" days did not get the "airing" they deserve and should be showcased again.

    Your steamed chicken looks very tasty. I would love to have this for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea, look yummy, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally agree! good and never forgotten recipes! i shall now take a look at your tested recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colorful garnish on top!l

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this dish will be yummy, as we cook steamed chicken with ginger and scallions.

    I was thinking of writing at some point my most yummiest dishes I have made over the two years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooo tempting! Great with rice and top with the wonderful gravy... yummmy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. I Never steamed chicken before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel like finishing that whole plate, simply irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joy, I love doing recipe rewinds too. We all started off with no readers, but great recipes, lol. You were right to bring this one back, looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Divine found Tthis recipe, wonderfulL. Must be very delicious. have a graet weekend. HUGS, Marta.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I carve my name just came out a letter. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember this post from the first time around. It is definitely worth a rewind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks absolutely delicious and the spring onions are a nice finish! I have some awards for you over at my place! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was here and Im again, I love these recipes! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are too kind! I am linking you now, before we can't again LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Una receta estupenda contundente .se ve deliciosa y muy linda,me encanta,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I am genie. Close my eyes tight and this dish appeared on my dining table.

    Thank you for your time and effort in voting for Onenezz. It has definitely made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi friends,
    Thank you for your visits! As you know, there has been some interrupted service over at Google these two days. Post have been temporarily removed and when it came back on, the comments are all missing! So thank you to all of you who have commented but it does not appear here! I know who you are! :) Have a lovely weekend everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Joy,
    I lost my comments in "The Blogger Storm of 2011", I am just grateful to have my blog and that you still have yours. Your Steamed Chicken with Gravy look delicious. I just love the oldie but goodie recipes, sometimes they are the best ones. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My dear friend
    Thank you for so beautiful recipe !!!
    All blogs has problems, some people lost his posts
    and comments....
    I'm ok and you.I'm happy for that:)
    Many greetings and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm...totally worthy of a rewind! Great steamed chicken :) Glad to see most of your blogger problems are sorted...I'm still waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Steamed chicken looks tender and succulent!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's my day for a blog hop, I'd love it if you came over and shared one of your great recipes at savory sunday!! Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea to rewind :) This is such a hearty looking dish, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete