Saturday, June 11, 2011

Citrilicious Cake

What a delightful name, Citrilicious Cake! This cake has the flavours of three different citruses. Oranges, lemons and limes! I just love citrus! Don't you?



Just as the name sounds, this is delicious as in citri-licious! The cake is moist, soft and all the citrus flavours in one cake! When I read that the recipe calls for only 3/4 cup sugar, I was totally surprised, as most recipes usually calls for at least 2 cups of sugar and I would always reduce the amount of sugar calls for, but not for this. The sweetness for me is just right. This is my kind of cake!

The citrus buddies ; oranges, lemons and limes.


Seeing that the amount of sugar should be just right, I went ahead with the glaze. I'm glad I did. I only did half of the lemon glaze recipe as I wanted to drizzle on the cake, not coat the cake completely. The sweet lemony glaze goes well with the not-too-sweet cake. If you really like your cake sweet, then I would suggest to make the full glaze recipe and completely coat the cake instead.


The orange, lemon and lime zest all in a slice of Citrilicious Cake.


Citrilicious Cake
(adapted from "Kiss My Bundt" by Chrysta Wilson)
2-1/2 cups flour
2-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
zest of 2 medium oranges
zest of 1 medium lemon
zest of 1-1/2 limes
1 teaspoon pure orange extract (optional)*
1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract (optional)*
1-1/4 cup whole milk


* The natural extracts are optional but will intensify the citrus flavours of the cake.
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Sift flour and baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
  3. Beat butter until soft, about 2 minutes.
  4. Slowly add the sugar. Mix for about 2 minutes.
  5. Crack eggs into a separate bowl and add to batter one at a time. Then beat on medium speed for an additional 2 minutes.
  6. Add zest and extracts.
  7. Beginning and ending with the flour, mix 1/3 of the flour into the wet mixture, then 1/2 of the milk, alternating until all ingredients are mixed.
  8. Transfer batter to cake pan, that have been coated with a baker's cooking spray that includes flour (or greased and floured), filling until cavity is about 3/4 full.
  9. Bake cake until an inserted toothpick or cake tester comes out clean - about 40 minutes for a big bundt.
  10. Invert cake onto a cooling rack or serving plate. If cake resists, cool in the pan for 15 minutes before inverting. (If cake still resists, cool an additional 15 minutes in the pan). Cool completely before frosting, at least 1 hour for a big bundt.

Lemon Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
juice of 1-2 lemons
  1. Put sifted powdered sugar in a small mixing bowl.
  2. Using a whisk, add lemon juice to powdered sugar, 1 tbsp at a time until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is just thin enough to pour over cake.
For Lime Glaze : Just substitute juice of 2-3 limes replacing the lemon juice)

(my notes : I just make half of the glaze recipe to drizzle over cake. If you want to cover the whole cake, then make full recipe).

43 comments:

  1. I too love citrus flavoured cakes dear!!! This looks super cool and delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - I know I would absolutely love this cake - I love anything citrusy, and this beautiful moist looking cake is right up my alley - I defeinitely have this bookmarked to try.
    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the citrus flavour in baking goods...This cake looks moist and tempting

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  4. the flavours, shape and the glaze ..all are so tempting.. luscious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, love the name of this cake. It just SOUNDS good! And secondly, how could it not be delicious with all that beautiful fresh citrus in it. I love bundt cakes too. Looks wonderful Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake looks delicious and the glaze is perfectly drizzled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am truly in love with this cake! I love anything baked with citrus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The word "citri-licious" should go to the food and beverage dictionary. :-)))
    The cake looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Te quedo muy bonito y seguro con un saborcito...
    Un saludito

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joy,
    What a wonderful name for this cake. It looks like a Citrilious dessert. I can't wait to give it a try, it is going to be so good! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look delicious, this is my type of Cake, Je aime!! xxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks utterly delicious...love your excellent clicks dear..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  13. Citrilicious for sure! That looks so tasty :) Perfect with a glass of really cold milk. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful cake my dear friend!!!
    I love it!!!
    Many greetings and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cake sounds wonderful with the three types of citrus. Have a blessed weekend!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks heavenly and very pretty, too.! I love citrus desserts and will put this one on my "must try" list! Thanks so much for sharing and have a lovely weekend, cher!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The title looks superb..Yummy yum yum cake as well..absolute soft n moist,would like to take a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love citrus! sounds very inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sure this cake smells beautiful! I love citrus/lemons in cakes, thank you for sharing the recipe :).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like you, I am very surprised at how little sugar there is in this recipe. Sounds like a winner to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do love all that citrus! The sweet and the tart together is delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes I definitely love citrus! I feel like cirtus usually makes a light but moist cake. And I love the fun name of this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi There, This is looking Gorgeous. A very well made post with beautiful pictures. Loved the new combo of ingredients and the recipe is so nicely made and presented. Its always fun to see ur appetizing recipes.Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Have a great day….Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Citrus is great now that it is getting hotter outside. Citrus is cooling and I love what you have in this cake. I am glad you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds super citriousy! Hehe. Really, I would love that with a cup of warm Chinese tea too, the texture looks really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can imagine how nice it smells. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh sounds great! three citruses at once! i love lemon cake~ i bet this is the bomb..

    ReplyDelete
  28. If it isn't chocolate, then citrus is my next favorite flavor! This sounds like a moist and delicious cake. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love citrus flavor !
    love the pics

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is rea citrusyyy!! and the glaze makes it look gorgeous! Very nice cake!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Delicious cake dear,looks gorgeous superb presentation,l love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Joy what a delicious cake to share with Cookbook Sunday, I love citrus and using all 3 would be super tasting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. yummy!!!! and my jalapeno plant has 2 flowers! I always think of you when watering it~hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi friends,
    Thank you for all your visits! I really appreciate them! Wish all of you a great and wonderful week!...and a yummy one too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The texture, flavor of that cake is driving me nuts ~ so bright, summery n bold! I want a slice NOW!:)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love lemon cake, really sounds delicious!
    Hugs;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nothing beats the flavours of citrus zest / fruit in a cake to bring all the flavours out...looks amazing

    -Shilpa

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks delicious or citrilicious! I'd love for you to share this recipe on my Summer Dessert linky at Cajun Sugar Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This cake looks incredibly moist and I love citrus flavors in desserts...fantastic cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Every time, I visit, I go back to this recipe. Why haven't I made it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  41. We like this food, and we like to invite you to upload your unusual delicious & unexplored recipe on http://www.tummyrats.com/ , Lately, I have been using this site - TummyRats - with the help of which I intend to try all this 'unusual' dishes in Ahmedabad.

    Since you ALSO love food so much, thot of forwarding you this site - Find best dishes at restaurants in Ahmedabad

    ReplyDelete