Saturday, October 15, 2011

Apple Butterscotch Bundt Cake

Another addition to my ever increasing collection of cookbooks, "Cake Simple" recently released, is now on my bookshelf. Authored by Christie Matheson, who co-authored together with Joanne Chang in best selling cookbook "Flour". The first thing that caught my attention is that this book is all about bundt cakes. I love baking bundt cakes, as it looks pretty elegant either plain or frosted. Mostly I prefer them plain as most frostings are sweet. As soon as I received this book a few days ago, this recipe was bookmarked. It is not a very big book, but it is a beautiful book, about 42 recipes printed on thick glossy paper with beautiful photograhps every few pages of so.



There's a whole lot of apples in one cake, 4 cups. I use a mixture of Granny Smith and Red Delicious Apples. When I mixed them into the batter, looks like the batter is barely enough to cover the cake. But not to worry, it bakes up rather nicely. 




While the cake is baking, "cinnamon is in the air!".  Your neighbour would know that you are definitely baking something!  




Overall, this is a nice cake. If you love apples and cinnamon, then you would like this. The butterscotch icing is nice, even though it is very sweet as most icing are, it makes a good icing for this cake. I did reduce the sugar in the cake and when eaten on it's own, the sweetness is just right, but really sweet with the butterscotch icing.



The texture is moist, soft and there's apple chunks in every bite!

I'm sharing this with
Bake with Bizzy at Bizzy B Bakes
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage


And I'm bringing this to a Cookbook Party, hosted by Louise of Months of Edible Celebrations. Louise is celebrating her Blogoversary by throwing a Cookbook Party, and October being the National Cookbook Month! There's a whole list of food celebrations just for the month of October! For full details, hop over to Months of Edible Celebrations. I'm submitting this cake under the list "Apple Month"!



Apple Butterscotch Bundt Cake
(adapted from "Cake Simple" by Christie Matheson)
Serves 12-14
Melted butter for greasing the pan
3 cups (360gm) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the pan
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I use 1 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups (360ml) canola oil
1 cup (200gm) granulated sugar (I use 140gm)
1/2 cup (110gm) packed brown sugar (I use 80gm)
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups (500gm) diced peeled apples
1 cup (100gm) walnuts, toasted and chopped


Preheat the oven to 325F (165C/gas 3). Brush the inside of a 12-cup (2.8L) Bundt pan thoroughly with the melted butter and dust it lightly with flour. (Use a pastry brush to help distribute the flour and tap out any excess).
Whisk the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the canola oil with the granulated sugar and brown sugar on medium-low speed until thoroughly combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the oil mixture, whisking until blended. Stir in the apples and walnuts by hand.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until a cake tester inserted near the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then invert the cake onto the rack and let it cool completely. Drizzle the cooled cake with the icing and serve. The cake will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.




Butterscotch Icing :
1/2 cup (110gm) packed brown sugar
1/3 cup (80ml) heavy cream
1/4 cup (57gm) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (93gm) confectioners' sugar (I use 60gm)


In a small nonreactive saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the brown sugar with the cream, butter, and salt, and heat gently, stirring until the sugar and salt have completely dissolved. Transfer the butterscotch mixture to a small bowl and let it cool to room temperature. Whisk in the confectioners' sugar until the icing is smooth.





27 comments:

  1. Yum! This cake looks delicious with all the apple bits. And the glaze looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cake, so fruity! I would eat it without the sauce too to make it more healthy:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last shot got me salivating...

    ReplyDelete
  4. o boy..the cake looks stunning and I love the glaze too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i remember the butterscotch sauce in that hazelnut pudding that we baked, that was good, i guess this is just as equally good, yeah, must be sweet but nice sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful, absolutely delicious,
    a kiss and good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This apple butterscoth look delicious!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg, absolutely delicious, irresistible cake..

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so good, and I like the chunky style apple inside! Will experiment this one I think!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you owe me lots and lots of samplings! and this is one to be added to the list..:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, you had me at "butterscotch". Love the look of this. I've never actually made a bundt cake, but since I have a couple of granny smith apples to use up I should probably try this.
    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. con manzana que bueno.
    Un saludito

    ReplyDelete
  13. It must be delicious with the homemade butterscotch icing ! I can imagine how good this is...drooling ! Thanks for your tips on the chiffon cake I just made...I shall try out the method you suggested when cooling the cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My beloved friend
    Yesterday I picked from my garden 20 apples!
    I wanted to make apple pie and showed me the way!
    Very nice recipe, thank you very much!
    Many greetings and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joy,
    This is a beautiful cake that I can't wait to make. The butterscotch icing me drooling! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have had a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love both apples and cinnamon, and I think this cake looks wonderful! This is apple season, and I have lots of them in my pantry right now just waiting to be cooked into something delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recently got 2 new cookbooks too - The best of ATK 2012 and the 2011 copy that came free with it. They're not on my bookshelf though - no space!! This cake looks yummy. Butterscotch icing sounds so good, it's a pity butterscotch has to be so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I can see that you are a Bundt cake expert now! This looks super yummy! Now I'm tempted to buy this book too :p

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cake is awesome with... small bites of apple,super eye catching glaze and the cinnamon flavor....salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a perfect cake for fall. It looks beautiful and sounds delicious and you can't argue withthat :-). I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like a wonderful book and and a delicious bundt cake! I also prefer cakes without a lot of frosting so this looks perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love the butterscotch addition with the flavor of the apples! It looks moist and delicious and the perfect fall afternoon treat for me! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful cake! I am drooling and that butterscotch icing is over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think everyone has caught the baking bug. I see so many delicious sweet recipes on everyones blog and I have to save them all to try. I've also been baking like crazy. hehe This looks yummy though!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Joyce!
    I just posted the Cookbook Party Winners! Come see what you won!!!

    ReplyDelete