Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chocolate Cherry Slice : Free and Easy Bake-Along #12, Theme - Chocolate and Cherries

"Chocolate and Cherries" is the Theme for our Bake-Along. We are free to bake anything as long as there are chocolates and cherries. I wanted to bake a cherry pie initially but decided to bake Chocolate Cherry Slice instead. I'm happy that I did, these are so, so, addictive! 


These are so goood , stopping at one slice is so hard! The minute I took a bite, it reminds me of some Cherry Coconut Chocolate which a friend bought back from Australia decades ago! I have not eaten it since then, and this delicious slice truly reminds me of that!



As usual, I reduced the sugar to only half, and it is just right, as the milk chocolate is already sweet, believe me, you would not miss out on the other half of the sugar. I did add on about  1/2 teaspoon of orange essence, just so that it would smell nice and to cover the eggy smell, if any, as there is no vanilla extract required in the recipe. 


The only thing is, I would add on more cherries the next time I make this, yes, I will make this again! 1/4 cup of cherries are definitely not enough to scatter evenly throughout the pan. And my advise is to line the pan with aluminium foil with two opposite sides extended over for easy removal as once the slice is cool, the chocolate got stuck at the bottom and I have to reheat it in the oven for a short while to soften it before I could slice and transfer them out into a container.



Chocolate, Cherries and Coconut, they are so good together! Yummy!


I can't wait to see my baking buddies, Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, what they are baking for Chocolate and Cherries bakes. Let's hop over and pay them a visit.

And I'm happy to inform that there will be a linky for all our Bake-Alongs. Feel free to join in and link your bakes at the linky below, and don't forget to leave a comment. We will visit you right back. The linky will stay open for five days. We do hope that you will join in, everyone's invited.

For our next Bake-Along, we will be baking Key Lime Cupcake, from Bon Appetit Dessert cookbook. If you do not have this book, you may get the recipe here. Please do join us in our Bake-Along. We will however be taking a short break and will post it on 21st November. You may refer to my side-bar for our "UPCOMING BAKE-ALONG", this is to provide ample time so that you can bake them anytime and post it on the dates indicated, linking to our linky. 



Chocolate Cherry Slice
(adapted from "150 Delicious Squares" from Company's Coming Kitchen Workbooks)
Bottom Layer
8 oz (224gm) Milk (sweet chocolate), chopped


Top Layer
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I use 1/4 cup)
1-1/2 cups shredded coconut (medium unsweetened coconut)
1/4 cup chopped red glace cherries
1/2 teaspoon orange essence (my addition)
Icing (confectioners') sugar, for dusting


Bottom Layer
Heat chocolate in small, heavy saucepan on lowest heat, stirring often, until chocolate is almost melted. Remove from heat. Stir until smooth. Spread evenly in greased 20x20cm (8x8inch) pan. Chill until firm.


Top Layer
Beat eggs and sugar (and orange essence) in medium bowl. Fold in coconut and cherries. Spread evenly over bottom layer. Bake in 175C (350F) oven for about 25 to 30 minutes until set and golden. Let stand in pan on wire rack until cool.
Just before serving, dust with icing sugar. Cuts into 25 squares.

This linky will stay open until 25/10/2011.

24 comments:

  1. hi, am early today to post it up. There will be apower shit down in about an hour's time to 7 tonight !Love these choc cherry slices, infact this choc cherry slices are one of my choice too when thinking what to make, i guess the addition of coconut in there must be really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised that we are all very early today with our posting.

    Joyce, your chocolate cherry slice look so delectable. I'm admiring every single and angle of your slices...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops..power shut down..sorry..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes! It really looks addictive! I love the combinations lots but so sinful! Just give me a slice please, I promise I won't ask for more:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. look absolutely delicious!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great dessert bar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummm, these look divine! Love cherries, chocolate, and coconut and I'll be trying these soon! Thanks for the great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, only one word to describe your this creative masterpiece I have never seen not eaten before, "WOW"!
    I sure would love to just have one piece....but afraid might ruin my parentage and upbringing by asking for 2 more.
    Outstanding!
    You have a nice day and keep a song in your heart.
    Lee.
    ps I too was from Malacca.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate cherry slice looks to be amazingly delicious.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  10. The chocolate cherry slice looks delicious..no wonder you say it is addictive :) yum yum you guys are baking well...just went to Lena's place and saw her loaf. It looks good too :)Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one delicious looking slice! I love the combination! Were you talking about the Cadbury's Cherry Ripe candy bar? That was a favourite of mine too. It's not available in Canada either but you can find it in Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi Joyce,
    this looks so delicious!
    especially with the addition of coconut
    i want a slice pleaseeeee :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning and inviting slice..marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Las capitas se ven fenomenal y el color es muy bueno.
    Un saludito

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your chocolate cherries slices look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an irresistible combination! I never mix with coconut with chocolate but I need to fix that. These look so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so yummy. Chocolate and cherries go so well together, and the coconut just takes it over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I salivate while reading, this must be very yummy as what you have described. After making kuih, I will try to join the Nov bake along ^^

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks beautiful and delicious. I'm going to bookmark this cherry slice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! This looks fantastic- chocolate cherry and coconut- you have like my three favorite things all rolled up into one dessert! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some magic ingredients...those look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so appealing. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well done once again!! So when can I have a taste!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oohh...looks like a cross between Mounds and a chocolate covered cherry. Delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete