Sunday, October 30, 2011

Orange Popsicle Ice Cream

It has been more than two months since I last posted  an Ice Cream recipe. I have made Ice Cream a couple of times since then, and they are all repeats, the same ones which I have made earlier. I made Dragon Fruit Ice Cream one weekend, when my nieces and nephew came for a visit. I made some Peach Ice Cream when my daughter's friend planned to come over to spend the day with her, in the end, she could not make it and we finished the ice cream ourselves! And I made some Mango Ice Cream when my neighbour gave me some big juicy mangoes from her tree. These ice cream are all worth making again. I figured it's time to try out a new flavour.



 I have some oranges in the fridge which I thought of making some ice cream with and found the perfect Orange Ice Cream recipe. David Lebovitz did it again with this delicious, creamy, orangy ice cream.


Instead of using the blender, I  mix the sugar and the orange zest by hand! Wow! Smells fantastic! I almost did not want to wash my hands! : o ) My son happens to come back from school at that time, the minute he walked into the house (not the kitchen!), he goes, "Wow, smells nice, oranges!" 


 Yum!


 Yum!


 Yum!


This is is a delicious, creamy and refreshing Ice Cream bursting with the tangy, citrusy taste and the fragrance of the oranges! Simply a beautiful fabulous ice cream! There will definitely be a repeat of this delightful ice cream, for sure! 


And I'm bringing this to a Cookbook Party, hosted by Louise of Months of Edible Celebrations. Louise is celebrating her Blogoversary by throwing a Cookbook Party, and October being the National Cookbook Month! There's a whole list of food celebrations just for the month of October! For full details, hop over to Months of Edible Celebrations. I'm submitting this delightful Ice Cream under the list "Dessert Month"!



Orange Popsicle Ice Cream
(adapted from "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz)
Makes about 1 quart (1 liter)
2/3 cup (130gm) sugar (I use about 1/2 cup, depending on the sweetness of the oranges)
grated zest of 3 oranges, preferably unsprayed
1-1/4 cups (310ml) freshly squeezed orange juice (from 4 or 5 large oranges)
1 cup (240gm) sour cream
1/2 cup (125ml) half-and-half (I use whipping cream)
2 teaspoons Grand Marnier or another orange liquer (I omit this)


In a blender, pulverize the sugar and orange zest until the zest is very fine. Add the orange juice, sour cream, half-and-half, and Grand Marnier and blend until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.



26 comments:

  1. How nice to have an ice cream maker at home huh! I would make ice cream every day if I have one too lol! Definitely look refreshing and yum! yum! yum!:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I am amazed by your talents... salute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. although oranage is such a common fruit, i actually havent tried an orange ice cream! just wonder why never thought of that..that is actually a nice flavour!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow you are an expert in making ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have oranges in my fridge..can you come over and make some for us??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kitchen Flavours I love this recipe and I love make Ice cream! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. at first i thought the first photo show the scoops of ice cream. i thought to myself "wow so round just like oranges". hehehe. looks like i will be trying this recipe soon since no egg custard version!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does look like fantastic ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, one more delicious recipe for ice cream, I was salivating just looking at your ice cream is perfect!
    Kisses dear;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi kitchen flavors, wow- the ice cream looks so pretty and must be delicous to eat. i wonder how the dragon fruit ice cream taste,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exquisito y aromático me encanta,abrazos grandes,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To be honest I've never had orange flavoured ice cream...what a shame because it looks incredibly delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea for an ice cream flavour! Yum for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lipsmacking...love your perfect version n excellent cliks..;)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it reminds me of growing up. We used to always get the orange popsicles with the cream inside! Oh heavens- I am craving one now- this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum yum, feel like grabbing that bowl and having rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks yummy! I need patience to make ice cream, I'm tempted to just buy it but I'm sure homemade is super delicious and can't be compared to store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Kitchen Flavours I saw your message about you are interesting in The cake slice, I m only a month ago there. The person you have to talk or mail here is the link, mail her and said you talk with me!LOL you are an amazing baker!
    anything mail me to
    gloriadelpilar_1994@yahoo.com

    the link


    http://appleandspice.blogspot.com/2011/09/cake-slice-september-2011-chocolate.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. This look awesome, look so refreshing....beautiful pictures!
    Hope you have a wonderful week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So very refeshing n devourable! Love the pics!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd have stayed a sticky, smelling orangey mess as long as I could :) Sounds lovely! This ice cream looks amazing too. I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your ice cream sounds delicious! Good job with the pictures too! Ice cream is one of the hardest to take pictures of as they melt so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Es estupendo este helado por dios .Preciosas las fotos. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are certainly the queen of frozen desserts and I'm so glad I finally made it here to oogle your gorgeous Orange Popsicle Ice Cream. I can only imagine the tangy sweet taste.

    Thank you so much for joining in on the party, Joyce. It sure was FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete