Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Veal & Olive Ragu with Pappardelle

One of our pasta nights with Rachael Ray's Look + Cook. Sometimes the mind goes blank just thinking about dinner! Pasta to the rescue!







So, I decided to cook Olive Ragu with Pappardelle for our dinner. This recipe calls for Ground Veal, Pappardelle and Pecorino Romano Cheese.  I do not have these three ingredients, I substituted with what I have, Ground Pork, Tagliatelle and Parmesan Cheese. I substituted the Beef Broth by using Homemade Chicken Stock. 


The family really enjoyed this tasty pasta meal. 


And I'm bringing this to a Cookbook Party, hosted by Louise of Months of Edible Celebrations. Louise is celebrating her Blogoversary by throwing a Cookbook Party, and October being the National Cookbook Month! There's a whole list of food celebrations just for the month of October! For full details, hop over to Months of Edible Celebrations. I'm submitting this Pasta under the list "Pasta Month"!

I'm sharing this with "Saturdays with Rachael Ray" at Taste and Tell.

Veal And Olive Ragu with Pappardelle
(adapted from "Look + Cook" by Rachael Ray)
Serves 6
salt
1 pound pappardelle or other wide, flat pasta
2 tablespoons EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
1 tablespoon butter
1-1/2 pounds ground veal
black pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 springs of fresh rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
1 cup pitted large green olives, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup beef broth
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (a generous handful)
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for passing at the table

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, then add the pasta, cook to al dente and drain.
While the pasta is cooking, in a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the butter to melt, then add the veal and season with salt and a little pepper. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until it's no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and rosemary and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the olives and heat through for 1 minute.
Stir in the wine, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan for 1 minute. Stir in the beef broth and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley and lemon zest.
Add the drained pasta to the sauce and stir in the pasta and 1/2 cup of cheese. Serve hot with extra cheese.

22 comments:

  1. Wah! I see rosemary on the top. My rosemary plant has remained the same size for the last one year. Maybe it is fake. :)

    I've been cooking pasta and will add some of your ideas. So far, I've not added tomato paste nor parsley nor rosemary...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My beloved friend, good morning!
    Lovely plate!!! Congratulations!
    Many Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this is very flavour and delicious! My favourite dish too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pasta looks so tempting with so much ingredients in it, with dry white wine in the pasta I bet this plate is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look so delicious, must prepare this for one of this day for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to cook with veal and I never have. Not sure why- just something I don't think about doing while shopping but you have my attention with this pasta. It looks amazing and so flavorful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks super delicious,eventhough i dont eat veal,ur clicks tempts me a lot..

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have made some good substitution here, drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great dish for the cookbook party! And, thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pasta to the rescue indeed. I'm in heaven just feasting my eyes on your lovely dish, Joyce. I can't wait to share it at the Cookbook Party!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehe pasta is my save-the-day dish as well! i like the flavors of this pasta - reminds me a little of chinese cooking for some odd reason!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear, this pappardelle look absolutely nice! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're not souch into pasta these days; you know, those visicious carbs! But this sounds like it would be delicious on greens instead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'd have to use all the same substitutions :) looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, thanks for the comment on the blog and I'm sorry the delay in responding is that I had very full days here. This mass is very good with a look very appetizing right, I love pasta is my favorite meal. It was perfect. I hope your week is being maravilhosa.Um big hug, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see why your family enjoyed this dish...I know I would too! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sub out ingredients often too. I never have veal and my husband hates Romano so I always replace it with Parmesan. Anyway, it looks delicious! I love making pasta. It's quick, easy and it gives me the opportunity to get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can only imagine how flavorful this dish is! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, pasta is usually my solution too when the mind goes blank! :) The pasta looks delicious. Hope you'll have a great weekend, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pasta is definitely my go-to meal! I love how easily you substututed ingredients here - it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete