Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Limoncello Cupcakes : TWD

This week at Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD), the selected bake is Limoncello Cupcakes. Of course, one of the ingredient is Limoncello, a lemon liquor. Limoncello has been on my list of to do for quite a while (have seen some recipes using it), and it still is on my list (.... too many "to-dos" on the list!). I have not seen Limoncello in the liquor stores around my area. I have however seen vodka with lemon, but it really is not the same, as Limoncello is sweetened by a simple sugar syrup. So I have substitute the Limoncello in this cupcake recipe with lemon juice instead. It definitely is not the same, but it works out fine.



The cupcake batter is pretty easy and quick to put together. The dry ingredients are mixed in a small bowl, the wet ingredients are mixed in a larger bowl by following the instructions which goes in first, then the dry ingredients are combined into the wet ingredients. The batter is then divided in muffin cups. According to Dorie, we can add marmalade to the centre of the cupcakes, put a large spoonful of batter into each cupcake mould, drop a teaspoon of the marmalade into the center of the batter and cover with the remaining batter. Or we can skip the filling altogether. I have decided to omit the filling. Bake the cupcakes for 20-25 minutes (mine was done at 23 minutes), until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. 

Prepare the simple sugar syrup while the cupcakes are in the oven. As soon as the cupcakes are done, brush them with the sugar syrup and let cool completely before frosting. I poked some holes over each cupcakes before brushing the syrup over.

The frosting is made by beating the confectioners' sugar and butter until the mixture comes together and lemon juice and limoncello are then added in, continue beating until smooth and fluffy. I have replaced the limoncello with milk. And the frosting is yummy! So lemony, not too sweet and it holds its shape really well. 



I made the full recipe and got 10 cupcakes instead of 12, maybe because I did not use any filling in the centre and made them as plain cupcakes. These cupcakes are really nice, moist, lemony, not too sweet and the frosting is just perfect for these cupcakes! I am not one who would usually frost my cupcakes, but I'm so glad I did for this!

To view the other bakers take on this cupcake, do stop by Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD), better still, get a copy of Baking Chez Moi, and join us!



and I'm sharing this post with :
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg


18 comments:

  1. Your cupcakes look so pretty Joyce, and you did a great job with the frosting, it's so creamy. I'm not much of a fan of any frosting but I did like the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious and great to know the Limoncello can be substituted in this cupcake recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed these, too! Such a pretty swirl of frosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. something fairly new for me... love to give this a go at some day...tks for all the tips ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I rmbr correctly, you might be able to get limoncello at Spasso Milano at Pavilion KL, they have it for sale there I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your frosting looks so perfect! Great idea to replace the limoncello with milk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce,

    I'm back!

    Very pretty cupcakes! I bet they must be very deliciously boozy and lemony too.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your frosting swirls are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cupcakes look so adorable and delicious! Lemon cupcakes are one of my favourites as it balances the sweet and sour in one dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lemony indeed!! The frosting looks great. These cupcakes must be a divine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joyce,
    I love lemony stuff ... so pretty cupcakes you've made. Yummy-licious too ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I love how you pair up with paper cups that has swirl pattern. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joyce , my to-do list is a mile long and getting longer ! I would like to try Limoncello cupcake myself , I'll hunt for this recipe online as the lib here don't have a copy of this book :D I don't know if you've seen this DIY Limoncello recipe @ The Kitchn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful little lemony swirls on top of these. So glad to hear you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joyce your Limoncello Cupcakes are so pretty! In spite of the fact that they do not contain Limocello, I am sure that they were delicious all the same. I love your piping!

    ReplyDelete