Friday, March 4, 2016

Dukkah-roasted Cauliflower

Cook the Book Fridays, is a group of bloggers currently cooking from David Lebovitz's book, My Paris Kitchen. This week's selected recipe is, Dukkah-roasted Cauliflower. 

Cauliflower is one of my favourite, anyway it is cooked. Dukkah is a spice I have heard of, but have never tried it, and ages ago,  have seen it in a supermarket in the spice aisle and was tempted to buy a jar. Now I'm so glad I did not buy that jar of dukkah. DL has included in his fabulous book, how to make our own. Great!



Dukkah is an Egyptian Spiced Nut Mix. There's hazelnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, and salt. I have however replaced the hazelnuts with almonds since I have run out of hazelnuts. The nuts and spices are toasted in a dry pan separately, and when they are cool, either crush them in a mortar or use the dry mill. Process to a slightly coarse texture, not too fine. Use as directed in the recipe.



I made half a recipe and yields exactly one cup. This can be keep for about a month and it can be used in lots of ways, and can be made into a dip by mixing with some olive oil. I am looking forward to try the dukkah on some roasted chicken or meat. I took a pinch of the dukkah and tasted it. First came the nutty fragrant and taste of the nut and seeds, then I can taste the blend of spices in there. And something a little lemony in it, though there's no lemon used at all. Really nice!



These Dukkah-roasted Cauliflower is easy to make, and does not takes up much time. The cauliflower are sliced, toss with some olive oil, salt and pepper, then bake for 25 minutes, stirring once midway through. Scatter the dukkah over and mix them up well, so that the cauliflowder are coated with the spice and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes until the cauliflower are browned. While these are baking, it does smell really nice. My son especially love these! The cauliflowers are so creamy soft and very tasty, full of flavour from the nutty spice mix. We had these Dukkah-roasted Cauliflower with some Indian Meatball Curry, Tomato Salsa and plain basmati rice for dinner. It was a delicious meal!  


This post is linked to Cook The Book Fridays.




14 comments:

  1. I love dukkah and cauliflower happens to be my favourite veggie. This is perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The curry sounds like a delicious pairing. I think many of us now have a jar of "stuff" that we will need to figure out what to do with - not a bad problem to have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute jar to store your leftovers. I have mine in an old mustard jar:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post! I am also a big fan of cauliflower...and this was a winner with me! Loved the dukkah! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that this was a hit for you. The meatball curry sounds like an excellent match!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of adding the meatball curry- I am sure it went together well

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you chose to serve along with the cauliflower. I can imagine the flavours went so well together! I made a full batch of the dukkah and I'm sending some home with my mother tonight, but I think I could use it all up myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a winner. My first time trying dukkar and I loved it. Your cauliflower looks
    perfect, and I love that jar that you used for the dukkar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son loved these as well! I've always wanted to try dukkah too, I'm glad I waited and made my own, it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. An excellent dinner menu, your roasted cauliflower look evenly roasted and dukkah-coated! Great results!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are making me hungry! Is the recipe for the Meatball Curry on your blog?
    Good call on making half the recipe...I have a lot of left over dukkah to play with. I hope I can use it up before it goes stale.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, that meal sounds lovely! Your cauliflower looks absolutely delicious and perfectly cooked. What a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful menu to complement the dukkah cauliflower. I loved it. I think the lemony flavor is the coriander seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to come over to your house for some meatball curry. That's a new one for me. I have never heard of that. Your menu sounds as delicious as I thought the cauliflower and dukkah was. Glad you liked it. On to beef stew!

    ReplyDelete