Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Mini Frittata with Leeks and Broccoli

"Goodbye Ellie", we are saying goodbye to Ellie Krieger, whose recipes we have cooked from, for the last six months. But like all the featured chefs at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), we will be seeing Ellie again in our potluck months. So to wish Ellie goodbye for now, and to thank you for all the delicious healthy recipes that she has shared, I've made one of her recipe from her latest cookbook "You Have It Made", which I have not yet own, (it's on my wishlist!), for our weekday lunch.


Originally, the recipe is called Mini Frittata with Leeks and Asparagus, but I have replaced the asparagus with broccoli instead. 


These are baked in muffin pans, be sure to grease your pans really well.  Leek, mushroom and broccoli are sauteed in a little oil until softened, about 5 minutes, then keep aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile mix the eggs and milk in a large bowl, then mix in the vegetables, cheese, salt and pepper to taste. (I fry about 1 tablespoon of the mixture to check on the seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if necessary). Divide evenly among the muffin pans, ( I got only 11). Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes at 375F.



These are delicious! Egg, cheese and veggies, what's not to like about these mini frittata! The great thing is, the leftovers can be kept covered in the refrigerator for 3 days. Simply reheat before serving.



We had the mini frittata for lunch with some green frisee and sliced tomatoes. Yum! And I had the leftovers again for breakfast the next day with a slice of toasted bread. Nice!

Mini Frittata with Leeks and Asparagus
(adapted from here, You Have It Made, Ellie Krieger)
Serves 6
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
1 bunch asparagus (1 lb), sliced on the bias into 1/2" pieces (2 cups) (I replaced with broccoli)
6 medium white button mushrooms, sliced (4oz)
7 large eggs
1/4 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

  1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
  2. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the leek, asparagus, and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 6 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
  3. Whisk the eggs and milk together in a medium bowl. Stir in the cooked vegetables, cheese, salt, and pepper.
  4. Distribute the mixture evenly into the muffin pan. Bake until set in the center, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
To Refrigerate and Reheat :
Allow to cool in the refrigerator, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Then transfer the frittatas to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Frittatas may be served at room temperature or reheated. To reheat, place on a foil-lined baking tray and warm in a 350F oven, uncovered, for 5 to 8 minutes, or place in a microwave-safe plate, cover with a splatter guard, and microwave for 30 seconds for a single portion.


Freezing is not recommended.



******************************

Here's some of our favourite recipes from Ellie that I've made over the last six months.











I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week,
Goodbye Ellie


We will be cooking from the recipes of our new selected featured chef for the next six months, Curtis Stone. If you would like to join us, please stop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) for more details.



6 comments:

  1. Love mini fritatta Joyce and thes elook delicious !!!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to comment on your mini frittatas, but I've become distracted by that hearty pork stew. Drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mini frittatas look charming. So are the other dishes with Ellie! I have not made frittata for a while, this recipe may just do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these mini frittatas--why does making things mini always make them so much better and more fun?! ;-)

    You cooked some fabulous Ellie dishes! I still want a slice of that yummy bread with its picture-perfect cinnamon swirl for my afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable. Taking your suggestion of using broccoli instead of asparagus (which is out of season here), these would be the perfect take along for a picnic on one of our lovely autumn days. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These frittatas are so cute! I wonder if I can "fool" my toddler into eating his greens by offering him these frittatas. Worth a try I guess. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete