Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cajun Spiced Braid

Over the weekend, my sister came for a visit and she brought over two tubs of frozen chicken stew for my kids, cooked by her. Yesterday, being a school day, I am undecided about what to prepare for the kids' after school meal. Her chicken stew came to mind along with a crusty fresh loaf of bread. I just need to make the bread and reheat the chicken stew, perfect, that would give me some extra time to 'spring-clean' my son's room, stuffs like clothes and toys that he has outgrown, will have to go to the recycle centre. I have been putting this off for so long now.


Her chicken stew is so delicious! I would have to ask her to cook this again, invite us over, and I'll bring the bread!



Found this lovely recipe from my current favourite bread making book, "Bread Machine".  Everything goes into the bread maker, let it do what it is best at, kneading, then take the dough out, punch it down, round it, and divide into three equal sizes.



Roll the three pieces of dough into long ropes, braid them together and place onto lightly greased baking pan, cover with lightly oiled clear film and leave to rise. Uh-oh, look at the braid, it rose so much that the braids has mis-shapen! It is definitely not a pretty braid!  Ha! Ha! Brush the top with some egg glaze and bake.



It is so good! It is crusty on the outside and soft inside. This is so good with the delicious chicken stew!


This bread is a little spicy from the paprika powder, cayenne powder and black pepper, but then my kids are not complaining. They love it! Between the two of them, they finished half the braid!


This is another winning bread recipe from Jennie Shapter!


Cajun Spiced Bread
(adapted from "Bread Machine" by Jennie Shapter)
Makes 1 loaf
1-1/4 cups (300ml/10-1/2 fl oz) water
2 tbsp (30ml) vegetable oil
1 tbsp (15ml) tomato puree (paste)
4-1/2 cups (500gm/1lb 2oz) unbleached white bread flour
1-1/2 tsp (7.5ml) paprika
1 tsp (5ml) cayenne pepper
1 tsp (5ml) dried oregano
1/2 tsp (2.5ml) freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, crushed
1-1/2 tsp (7.5ml) salt
1/2 tsp (2.5ml) sugar
1-1/2 tsp (7.5ml) easy bake (rapid-rise) dried yeast


For The Glaze :
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp (15ml) water

  1. Pour the water and vegetable oil into the bread machine pan, then add the tomato puree. If the instructions for your machine specify that the yeast is to be placed in the pan first, reverse the order in which you add the liquid and dry ingredients.
  2. Sprinkle over the flour, ensuring that it covers the liquid. Add the paprika, cayenne, oregano, black pepper and crushed garlic. Place the salt and sugar in separate corners of the bread pan. Make a small indent in the centre of the flour (but not down as far as the liquid) and add the yeast.
  3. Set the bread machine to the dough setting; use basic dough setting (if available). Press Start. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
  4. Once the dough cycle has finished, place the dough on a floured surface. Knock it back (punch it down) and divide into three.
  5. Roll the pieces into equal ropes. Put next to each other. From the centre, braid from left to right, working towards you. Press the ends together and tuck under.
  6. Turn the dough around and braid the remaining ropes. Place on the prepared baking sheet, cover with oiled clear film (plastic wrap) and leave in a warm place to rise for 30-45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
  7. Mix the egg yolk and water for the glaze together. Remove the clear film and brush the glaze over the braid. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden.



32 comments:

  1. Bread looks so soft and delicious.Thanks for drop in my Home made vegetarian recipes blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the spices and the fact it's a bread machine recipe. I'm always looking for new ones. I bet it was delicious with that yummy stew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear friend
    This beautiful bred, i will eat from your photos !!!
    I love so much the home-bred and chicken stew !!!
    Thank you
    Have a nice week !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...i love a little paprika in my bread as well. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect bake.The spice blend used here is exquisite..

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  6. This bread looks so heavenly and delicious! Love the spices and that it can be made in a bread machine. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum that bread sound good, and with a chicken stew even yummier! thanks Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. spices in bread sounds interesting! it's always nice to try different favours in bread!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the spices in this bread, sound so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love to use spices in my bread. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe and will bookmark for my future bake :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! Homemade bread is always best- I love the spices in this one. :) My bread machine is ready and waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. chicken stew and cajun bread...delicious combo !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bread looks lovely - particularly the plait design. I also love stew/soup with bread...so good! Do you have the stew recipe actually?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, Cajun spiced bread, what a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good to have a sis living nearby. And great to have a bread-making machine. I used to have one. Now since I seldom bake I just knead the dough manually. The cajun bread looks good.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  16. this bread sounds interesting with spices used! hope to try it out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The bread looks wonderful, as does your sister's chicken stew! (She needs to post her recipe :) Love fresh baked bread...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't baked bread in so long! urs looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bread is baked perfectly! Love it!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like a perfect loaf of bread. I've never flavored mine this way but it does sound wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. This bread sounds and looks wonderful. Looks like it went perfectly with your sister's chicken stew!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Una receta exquisita especial para hoy,un día muy helado acá,estas buenas comidas son las que me agradan mucho,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks delicious and fresh... Yummy!!

    http://ladyonaroof.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm always on the look for spices bread and here I found your recipe. I am a food traveler and love to cook. New to blogging and glad to find your page. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello friends,
    Thank you for taking your sweet time to stop by. Wish all of you a very lovely day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. my attempts to make bread ends in disaater always.. this looks super soft n tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hmm.. so soft and moist.. love the shape dear.. :)

    New to ur space n happy to follow u for more wonderful recipes..

    Do visit me when u get time dear .
    http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your spicy bread sounds delicious! Perfect alongside the hearty stew!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks comforting and nice with a bowl of stew.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Sis, I can definitely repeat the chicken stew only if you promise to bring the bread as you've suggested! you're on!!

    ReplyDelete