Saturday, June 4, 2011

Jamie's Fish Pie

What's for lunch? Jamie Oliver's Fish Pie and Evolution Green Salad with Yoghurt Dressing. This is the first time I've tried baking a fish pie and eat one too! I did make Chicken Pie a number of times but not Fish Pie. This Fish Pie is so easy to put together! You'll be eating it in about less than 1-1/2 hours from the moment you start with the first instruction! 


How does it fare with the family? My son loves fish, I can cook it in any way, he will just eat it all up. So I know that it will be OK with him.  My daughter, on the other hand,  does not really like fish, unlike it is fried, and she was kind of disappointed that I'm 'involving' fish for lunch, and that it is not fish and chips (which happens to be her favourite meal when it comes to fish!)


I wasn't sure whether she would like this, so I made only half a recipe, since there are just the three of us. Surprise, surprise, she loves it! She even complimented me on being such a good cook! I've got to thank Jamie Oliver for that one!  LOL!  




This Fish Pie is delicious, the mashed potatoes are so good, I even ate a couple of spoonfuls before I spread it over the veggies and fish! Shh....! I served this Fish Pie with a really simple Jamie's Evolution Salad with Yoghurt Dressing, using my own Homemade Yoghurt.

I'm linking this lovely Fish Pie with
I Heart Cooking Club "Something's Fishy" - Jamie Oliver
Cookbook Sundays - Mom's Sunday Cafe (link will open on June 5th)

If you are like me, who loves to bake and cook from the many cookbooks that are on the bookshelves, I would like to invite you to link your yummies to Cookbook Sundays, hosted by the lovely Melynda of Mom's Sunday Cafe. Cookbook Sundays is a great blog hop that encourages us to make use of our cookbooks, which otherwise will be left collecting dust on the bookshelves! So get that cookbook of yours, and whip up something, or if you already have done so, simply link to Cookbook Sundays, it is alway nice to see other recipes being linked and you just might find something that you have been looking for, you never know! You can cook and bake from your cookbooks as much as you want, and just linked them up.  Cookbook Sundays will be open on the first Sunday of each month and the link will stay open for a week! You can even linked up any favourite recipes from your previous posts.  Hope to see you there!



Fish Pie
(adapted from "Jamie's Food Revolution" by Jamie Oliver)
According to Jamie "You can use whatever fish you like, making this as luxurious as you want it to be. If you like your fish pie to be creamy, feel free to add a few tablespoons of creme fraiche or heavy cream to the fish."
Serves 4-6
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-1/4 pounds potatoes
1 carrot
2 celery stalks
6 ounces grated good Cheddar cheese
1 lemon
1/2 a fresh red or green chili
4 sprigs of fresh Italian parsley
10 ounces salmon fillet, skin off and bones removed
10 ounces finnan haddie or cod fillets, skin off and bones removed
1/4 pound large shrimp, raw, peeled
olive oil
optional : a good handful of spinach, chopped
optional : a couple of ripe tomatoes, quartered


To prepare your fish pie
Preheat the oven to 400F and bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Peel the potatoes and cut into 3/4-inch chunks. Once the water is boiling, add your potatoes and cook for around 12 minutes, until soft (you can stick your knife into them to check). Meanwhile, get yourself a deep baking pan or earthenware dish and stand a box grater in it. Peel the carrot. Grate the celery, carrot and Cheddar on the coarse side of the grater. Use the fine side of the grater to grate the zest from the lemon. Finely grate or chop your chili. Finely chop the parsley leaves and stalks and add these to the pan.

To cook and serve your fish pie
Cut the salmon and finnan haddie or cod into bite-size chunks and add to the pan with the shrimp. Squeeze over the juice from the zested lemon (no seeds please!), drizzle with olive oil, and add a good pinch of salt and pepper. If you want to add any spinach or tomatoes, do it now. Mix everything together really well. By now your potatoes should be cooked, so drain them in a colander and return them to the pan. Drizzle with a couple of good lugs of olive oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash until nice and smooth, then spread evenly over the top of the fish and grated veggies. Place in the preheated oven for around 40 minutes, or until cooked through, crispy and golden on top. Serve piping hot with tomato ketchup, baked beans, steamed vegetables, or a lovely green salad.

(my notes : I did not use any prawns, and for the fish, I used snapper fillet)

Evolution Green Salad
(According to Jamie, you can either have this salad plain with just lettuce, or may add pancetta or smoked bacon, pine nuts and strips of Parmesan cheese. I just had mine plain with some sliced round onions, we love onions!)
1 butterhead lettuce, washed, dried and shred to pieces
Yoghurt dressing

Yoghurt Dressing
Put 1/3 cup of natural yoghurt, 2 tablespoons of white or red wine vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil into a jam jar with a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Put the lid on the jar and shake well.

Just drizzle over lettuce when it is time to serve.

39 comments:

  1. this look so flavourful and delicious! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..lovely clicks,just wish to grab it!Thanx for sharing this recipe,very new to me..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning my dear friend and thank you for delicious recipe!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mouthwatering fish pie. Can't stop drooling over it so many miles away.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a comforting and delicious fish pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like the perfect comfort food dish--with those fluffy potatoes on top. The whole meal with the fish pie and salad looks wonderful. Great picks!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is like your daughter as far as fish goes so maybe I should try this on him. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are really good at this. Milka is really good with her wooden signs. I'm only good at admiring.

    Thanks for your votes. Some people complained they have trouble voting. Either they couldn't log into Facebook or they kept getting logged out before voting. I really don't want to cause so much trouble. I kind of regret playing this game but now must persist till the end. 2 more weeks to go. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is Jamie Oliver famous in Malaysia too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love mashed potatoes and fish too! Looks so good...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never tried a fish pie before! But I'm all about trying something I'd normally do with beef or pork and trying it with fish instead. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is real yum..:) absolute comfort food.. I love it..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joy, this looks incredibly delicious!!! I want to make this NOW! I've never eaten fish pie before, but it's on my "must make" list now. What an interesting, yummy way to eat fish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy!!

    I would like to have a bite of that!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joy what a dear woman you are to help me spread the word about Cookbook Sundays! Thanks so much and I can't wait to see you there. You are helping me see how many ways fish is used, enjoyed and eaten. Your a great teacher! This pie looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhh you know I love fish and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! I haven't had a fish pot pie before - looks really comforting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely and delicious meal! Fish and shrimp are my faves and that yogurt dressing sounds fab! have a great weekend, cher!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your fish pie sounds good! Another winner from your new cookbook? ;-) Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never tried fish pie yet, looks super delicious and irresistible..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  21. I ended up here from a mention by Marguerite at Cajun Delights and now happily following. I love Jaimies recipes and the pie looks knockout!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never had fish pie before but this sounds amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks absolutely delicious! Just love recipes like these.
    First time here..

    ReplyDelete
  24. The fact that both of your kids enjoyed this dish gives me hope that mine would too (they can be pretty picky at times). I think the fish pie looks and sounds amazing, as does the salad. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i know it's late now but i really dont mind having this right now! the potatoes topping sounds really delicious to add on to the fish filling!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've convinced me, looks really tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. D'oh! I just made my last piece of fish on hand. I'll have to pick up more to try this recipe. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've never had fish pie, but this looks good! I like "involving" fish for any meal.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This fish pie looks so yummy. My son will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear this fish is delicious,awesome recipe beautifully presented,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bookmarked to try very soon...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi friends,
    Thank you for stopping by and your lovely comments. Wish you a good and delicious week!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks delicious, we love chicken pie, and I am trying to get the family to eat more fish, this would do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Joy, thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe with Cookbook Sundays! I hope you are having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've never tried a fish pie, but it sounds wonderful! I'm saving this one for when I'm lucky enough to get some nice fresh fish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. The fish pie looks verry tasty, i've never had any either.
    Glad to hear you and your kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, I love a good fish pie, and this version looks particularly delicious. Great that your children enjoyed it too.

    Thanks so much for sharing with us :-)

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete