Thursday, October 11, 2012

THB : Danish Chocolate Streusel-Swirled Coffee Cake

It's our 10th bake at The Home Bakers (THB) and Anuja from Simple Baking, our host for this bake, has selected Danish Chocolate Streusel-Swirled Coffee Cake, a great pick! Anuja has a wonderful site with lots of delicious bakes! If you have not had the pleasure of knowing Anuja, do stop by Simple Baking to say hi and make a new friend, you will be glad you did!



Danish Chocolate Streusel-Swirled Coffee Cake is one amazing bread, so soft and delicious! After my confusion with cake and bread in my previous bake for Bake-Along, here, once again, I'm calling this a bread instead of cake! 



I made half a recipe and use my stand mixer to mix the ingredients to a soft dough. Remove the dough, place on a working surface and knead until smooth for about 10 minutes, a process which I rather enjoyed doing, as the dough was a pleasure to work with, soft but not sticky. The only changes I made was,  I use bread flour instead of all-purpose flour. 



Place in a greased bowl, turn to coat and cover loosely with greased plastic wrap. Leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1-1/2 hours.



Punch down risen dough and turned out on a lightly floured surface, knead lightly until smooth.



Roll out dough to about 10-by-14-inch rectangle. Spread evenly with the prepared streusel, which are made up of sugar, flour, butter, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Roll up, swiss roll style, seam side down.



I placed two rectangular plastic dough scraper, one on either side, under the dough for easy transfer to the baking tray.


Use a scissors to snip the loaf at 3/4-inch intervals, cutting three-fourths of the way through the dough. 
Starting at one end, pull and twist each cut slice on its side to lie flat on alternate sides, which I barely managed, as there is not much space on my baking tray! It's a big loaf! (Note to self: make smaller or individual rolls next time!)
Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.



Brush with egg whites, sprinkle with flaked almonds and bake until golden brown. The oven is preheated at 350F and reduce to 325F when the dough goes into the oven.



These are so good, especially when eaten warm. I made only half a recipe and it is quite a big loaf! The texture of the bread is really moist and soft. The streusel filling is so yummy and I like the flaked almonds over the top too, a nice crunch with nutty almond fragrance. Overall review : Delicious! This is definitely a keeper!



It stays soft too on the next day, but then I reheated it for a short while as I like to eat it warm, just to enjoy the full softness of the bread and the wonderful smell of the almonds.



Please stop by Anuja from Simple Baking for the full recipe. And to see the rest of the members' bake,  do drop by The Home Bakers (THB).



Welcome to The Home Bakers


THB is currently baking from Coffee Cakes by Lou Seibert Pappas, if you would like to join in and be a member of THB, please email me at kitchenflavours@yahoo.com
Everyone's welcome!!


23 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,
    You are right, this recipe i yields HUGE loaves. I ended up with two giant sized loaves. Luckily my oven is big enough to accommodate the size :D. I think this is perfect for large family gatherings and get together.
    Your bread has beautiful golden brown colour. It looks so inviting. Totally drooling!!
    Thanx a lot dear for the sweet and encouraging words. Always a pleasure baking along with you guys. Mwaaaaah!!!
    xoxo
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how it tasted when it was warm...Love the upper crust...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce, I had trouble pulling the sides as well... and my turned out disfigured LOL but it was very delicious. Loved this recipe. It's a keeper. Will post mine up in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This definitely looks more bread than cake to me. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bake was delightful! Great results you got there Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From the look of that cake , I'm sure it taste delicious ! Love the chocolate filling ! I can see some toned arms ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, such a huge loaf and my tray also got problem accomodating this big one loaf! seems like everyone is confused with the cake and bread term for this bake, nevertheless it is still one good bake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to skip this month because of school and the holidays and I see, I missed a good one. Yours is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way you've shaped this bread! My sons said that mine looks like some kind of alien's lung! LOL This is indeed a delicious bread great for breakfast & coffee time. Another keeper recipe from this cookbook. Gosh! Am I hosting for the next bake? Panicking!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, I'm drooling now! This has to be delicious and I'm adding it to my list to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The shape of your bread/cake is very cute, Joyce & I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, looks like fun to make this bread/cake. I gotto to try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joyce,
    Love your step by step pics and your bake turned out great!! Am looking forward to baking this even though I am not a bread baking person - I'm too impatient to wait for the dough to rise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Estupenda receta me gusta,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesSunday, October 14, 2012

    Hi Joyce, this looks great. Yummy: )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce,
    I seen this in Zoe, Lena, Kit, Mich....blog
    The more I see the more I wanted to try.
    Must try this...:)
    The shape of your bread/cake look so nice. I like it too! Look so delish too!
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
  17. I must say this loaf looks really inviting and I love anything bread with cinnamon in it! I am going to bookmark this for future bakes:D Currently out of action so I can't join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joyce,

    This recipe is brilliant. My miniature version grew to be quite "big" too. Your giant loaf looks super-yummy too :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Joyce! When I first made this I halved the recipe and I ended up with too many bread. So I halved it again for my other tries... it's really a very huge bread! Haha. Your bread looks delicious! Can't wait for the next bake!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Joyce! Lovely bread!!! I was not able to make this one this month! I see I missed a great one :( But I still have the book and the recipe and I can make it sometime soon...very soon :)

    ReplyDelete