Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Calamari with Lemon, Garlic and Piri-Piri

To submit to our Bake-Along : Fresh Strawberry Cake with White Chocolate Chips, click here.

****************************


It has been many months since I last cooked a Tessa Kiros dish, and I Heart Cooking Club is saying farewell to Tessa Kiros, this week being the last week that they are cooking from Tessa Kiros's recipes. There are many recipes of Tessa Kiros's that I have bookmarked to try, somehow time flies ever so fast, and without realizing it, 6 months of cooking with Tessa is already up! So for the final potluck, I have chosen this delicious calamari dish that I will be cooking again and again!


This dish is somewhat similar to our local Nyonya dish, where we use tamarind paste for the tinge of sourness and coriander leaves for the fragrance, here Tessa uses lemon juice, dried oregano and parsley. There's only one word to describe, YUMMY! We love it, the only thing that I regret when cooking this is, I only used about 500gm of squids, the next time I'm gonna double up the amount! 


I'm submitting this to I Heart Cooking Club, where this week's theme is "March Potluck! Goodbye Tessa, And Thank You". Definitely, this won't be the last dish of Tessa Kiros that I'll be trying. I have tried several of her recipes, and all are delicious! 

I Heart Cooking Club will be going all out with Mexican food with another chosen chef for the next six months, Rick Bayless. Please visit I Heart Cooking Club for more details.


Calamari with Lemon, Garlic and Piri-piri
(adapted from "Piri-piri Starfish" by Tessa Kiros)
400gm baby calamari
30gm butter
1 scant teaspoon dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
a pinch of ground Piri-piri
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
salt to taste

  1. To prepare the calamari, firmly pull the head and innards from the body and wash the body well. Cut off the head just below the eyes, leaving the tentacles in one piece if they're small. Discard the head, pull the transparent quill out of the body and rinse out the tube. Peel off the outer membrane and slice the tube into three or four rings.
  2. Put the butter into a hot pan and heat until it sizzles. Add the oregano and cook for a moment until it smells good. Add the tubes and tentacles and cook on the highest heat until all the liquid evaporates. Sprinkle with salt and a little pepper and, when it's all turning golden, turn with a wooden spoon and scrape up any bits tuck to the pan.
  3. Add the garlic and turn through until you start to smell it. Add the lemon juice and however much piri-piri you like. Let it bubble up, check the seasoning and stir in the parsley over the heat for just a moment longer. Add a touch more butter and lemon juice to the pan if you like more sauce. Serve hot in the pan with bread.



*****************************



Welcome to The Home Bakers 

The Home Bakers will officially start their first bake on 3rd April. To find out more about joining in and be a member, visit The Home Bakers for more details!!

22 comments:

  1. I love piri piri; this must be so good! I have never cooked Calamari.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love calamari! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds DELICIOUS - I would love it, too! Even though I cooked something from her every single week for the past six months, I STILL have recipes that I want to try but haven't. Ha! This one's going on that list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds appetising, hot and sour..yum! like kerabu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very delicious..

    http://www.foodydelight.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks amazing. never cooked a squid before but now i think lsurely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't eat calamari very often & if I do, will either be the "salt & pepper" calamari or the deep-fried calamari rings. This recipe is somehow very different from the others! Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks delicious!Never heard of piri piri before!Have a lovely day,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm..I'll eat this if someone cooks it for me. I don't like the cleaning part, eeee....! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your piri piri! Looks very delicious and love to dip with some chilli sauce too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious!!! Would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this. Thank you for coment in my blog , I loved. Kisses. Marta.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so delicious. I love how you have it nestled in the lettuce in the picture. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only eaten calamari fried...would love to try this! Great choice for the farewell week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this sound new..but iam sure tastes delicious.......nice one.
    maha

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg, looks divine...spectacular and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, wonderful! I have never made fresh calamari before.
    What a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks light and fresh. Will have to try this one! Looking forward to Rick Bayless for the next 6 months!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really don'tlike calamari, glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks amazing! I've never made fresh calamari before either and this looks sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've always wanted to try making calamari at home. I'm curious about the piri piri spice too. Looks like a gorgeous dish. So happy to hear that you enjoyed cooking along with Tessa's recipes.

    ReplyDelete