Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sticky Chinese Chicken

This is one super easy, delicious dish! Zoe, my baking buddy is hosting a blog-hop, "Cook Like A Star", featuring Donna Hay as the celebrity chef for the month of March. This is the second recipe of Donna Hay's that I've tried and so far I liked them both.


This is an easy dish to prepare. Just marinate the chicken with the ingredients and baked it in the oven, that's all. Be sure to taste your marinade before marinating the chicken. After whisking the ingredients together, try for yourself how sweet and salty you want it to be. I find that 1 tablespoon of brown sugar is not enough and added about 2 tablespoons more. And adjust the soy sauce according to your taste. The mixture should be sweet and salty. 


I did as what the recipes says, baked it in a covered baking dish for one hour until tender. I covered it with aluminium foil since my dish do not have any tight-fitting cover and when one hour was up, the chicken is not brown and sticky! It is all cooked up and tender, but not brown and sticky, so pale looking and does not look so appetizing! But it does smell wonderful, the fragrance from the star anise and five spice powder. I moved the dish up a level in my oven, remove the aluminium foil and grilled it for about 3 to 4 minutes, I can see that it is  turning brown, but definitely not sticky, in fact it looked so soupy, as in the picture above!  I then remove the dish from the oven, the gravy is really bubbling hot! I added in some cornstarch solution (dissolved some cornstarch in water first), stir it in, coat the chicken pieces with the gravy and return it to the oven to grill for another 3 to 4 minutes.


Wow, what a transformation! It is all brown and the gravy has thickened! Looks so delicious! 


And it is delicious! I'm really glad that I've tried out this recipe. We had an enjoyable chicken dish for our dinner. Even the last of the gravy was mopped up with a piece of bread!  :)


I'm linking this with "Cook Like A Star" blog-hop featuring Donna Hay as the celebrity for the month of March, hosted by my friend, Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids. Please drop by Bake For Happy Kids for the full details and join in the blog-hop!




 



Sticky Chinese Chicken
(source : Donna Hay, here)
1 small piece ginger, peeled and sliced (grated)
2 cloves garlic, sliced  (minced finely)
1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
3 star anise
1 tablespoon brown sugar (I use about 3 tablespoons)
1/2 cup (125ml) soy sauce (to taste)
1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
1/4 cup (60ml) oyster sauce 
1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
steamed rice, to serve

Preheat oven to 200C (390F). Place the ginger, garlic, five spice, star anise, sugar, soy, stock and oyster sauce in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Place the chicken in an ovenproof dish, pour over the ginger mixture, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 1 hour or until tender. Serve with rice. Serves 6.



30 comments:

  1. Love Sticky chinese chicken; thank you for sharing this great recipe; you can be sure i saved it.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. El pollo se ve muy rico. Un dia voy a hacerlo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The glaze/sauce looks so good on chicken. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how thick and yummy the sauce looks. Great idea to add corn starch when it remained soupy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE a good chicken recipe. And this one is just calling me to make it. It just looks so amazing. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good to see how you came up with such a beautiful finished sticky Chinese chicken. It does look finger licking good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This chicken dish is beautiful! DH is always a star making cooking looks so easy. Love the way you made this dish...just put everything together and bake. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh I can't wait to sink my teeth into this!!! wonderful recipe - thanks!
    mary x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking at the ingredient list I already can imagine how tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. joyce, our minds really think alike!! just posted a chicken dish today too! i'm glad that you did it your own way to get it sticky.Looks delicious, a finger licking dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing looking chicken. Thanks a lot for sharing this lovely recipe.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is really easy and I bet it is yummy too!Have a lovely day,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. eileen@hundred eighty degreesThursday, March 15, 2012

    Lena and you did chicken theme today ! How nice if I m served with a bowl of white rice and both of your dishes. Yours look delicious too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOUR chicken with rice... ahhhh delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one is new for me,,,looks yum,,,

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you came up with a solution to the browning. Your final dish looks wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love a sweet salty Asian marinade! This chicken looks fabulous...and I hope to make it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks yummy and i'm glad to know that it goes well with bread too ;p

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your chicken was a delight, that color is amazing.
    kisses and great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know I would love these! How delicious they look.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks really tasty! I d love some of this now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks a bit sweet for my taste, but then I can adjust the sugar. I would also dust it with black and white sesame seeds for texture. What a tasty meal.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I should 've read your post before. mine was also soupy :( but tasted great :)

    ReplyDelete