Sunday, March 18, 2012

Ham, Green Onions and Cheddar Buns

I made some savory buns from my latest favourite bread machine cookbook, "The Artisan Bread Machine" by Judith Fertig. Each bread that I've tried so far have turned out fantastic!




I have lots of spring onions in my garden. Harvested some of them, most of it goes into my simple stir-fry noodles for our lunch, and used some of it for this fantastic buns. The original recipe is baked as a loaf bread, and there's a variation on making these into a boule. But I wanted these to be small pan-buns, so that's what I did. However, I did not have any bacon, I substitute with sandwich hams instead, which I pan-fried lightly and chopped into pieces. Also I did not have any blue cheese, have not tried blue cheese before actually, but I always have some cheddar cheese in my freezer, so that is what I used. Since both the ham and cheese are already salty, I reduced the salt to 1/2 teaspoon, and it turns out not that salty, so I think the full 3/4 teaspoon would be alright, but I would stick to 1/2 teaspoon if you are watching on the salt intake, it's all a matter of preference. I added in about 1 teaspoon of dough enhancer.


As usual, I let the machine do the kneading for me, set at Basic Dough cycle. The top picture is the first rise in the bread pan just before the end of cycle. The second picture is when the dough is 'punched down' by the bread machine just before it beeps, signalling the end of the cycle.



Remove the dough from the bread pan to a lightly floured bowl, divide the dough to 8 round balls as follows, 7 balls of approx 80gm in weight and 1 bigger ball at approx 140gm in weight. Place them in a round 9" greased baking pan with the bigger ball in the centre, as pictured above. Cover loosely with oiled cling wrap and leave to rise for about 45 minutes.


Bake in preheated oven for about 18-20 minutes until done. Brush top of  hot buns with melted butter for a shiny and soft crust. Leave to cool till slightly warm.


 Lovely buns!


Lovely buns! Did I mention how lovely they are?  :o)  I made some tea while waiting for it to cool a little! 


 So soft, I love doing this!  :)


The bits of ham and spring onions, the cheese got melted in.


 Couldn't resist, we ate this about 20 minutes after baking. Yum!


We love the bits of ham and the spring onions.


The texture is soft and fluffy, very tasty, good enough on its own with a cup of tea!  Or tear it open and spread a generous serving of butter! A keeper recipe that I can see returning to my kitchen! 


I'm sharing this with :
BYOB - Bake Your Own Bread hosted by Girlichef


Bacon, Green Onion and Blue Cheese Bread (Ham, Green Onions and Cheddar Buns)
(adapted from "The Artisan Bread Machine" by Judith Fertig)
Makes one 1-1/2 lb (750gm) loaf
1-1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp instant or bread machine yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110F/43C)
1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2-3/4 cups bread flour
3/4 tsp salt (I use 1/2 tsp)
1/3 cup finely chopped crispy cooked bacon (I use sandwich ham)
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (I use cheddar cheese)
scant 1 teaspoon dough enhancer (my addition)

  1. Add sugar, yeast and water to the bread pan. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast starts to bubble.
  2. Add green onions and oil. Spoon flour on top of liquid. Add salt, bacon and cheese.
  3. Select the Basic/White Cycle and press Start.

kitchen flavour's notes :
~ the changes I made to the ingredients : I use sandwich ham which I pan-fried lightly, I use Cheddar cheese instead and I reduce the salt to 1/2 tsp as the cheese and ham are already salty. I added 1 scant teaspoon of dough enhancer to the flour.
~ follow step 1 and step 2 above. Select Basic Dough Cycle.
~ at the end of Basic Dough Cycle, remove dough and divide into 8 round balls, 7 balls about 80gm weight and 1 ball about 140gm weight. Arrange moulded round balls in a greased 9" round cake pan, placing the bigger ball in the centre and the smaller ones all around. Cover loosely with a greased plastic cling wrap and leave to rise for about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 180C.
~ remove cling wrap and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until done. Transfer buns from cake pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Brush top of hot buns with melted butter for a soft and shiny crust.

34 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this one when I get home; it was on my list of Must Try; picture perfect! Love that book.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! another lovely bread, you are very good in baking bread:) I just linked up my ciabatta just in the nick of time! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. todAll the breads I sawn today are beautiful, waht nice, I love these cheddar buns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your bread. I think I must start to make mine soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How delicious looking! I love how they're baked all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the bread is fantastic, the core looks like a cloud, that delights!
    Thank you for sharing kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, they are beautiful...they looks so soft. I made "the original" version in loaf form a while back. I want to make your version in bun form - they're so mouthwatering. Lovely! Thank you for always sharing your wonderful breads w/ BYOB =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, they look so soft and fluffy. I don't ham but I'm sure they'd be great with just the onions and cheese :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So soft..Delicious.
    Do visit my new blog
    http://www.foodydelight.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. simply superb..you have made them so perfectly!!
    Spicy-Aroma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Green onion and cheddar...one of my favorite food combinations. And all that lovely, shiny melted butter! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great. I wanna try it with my bread machine too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The buns look so soft and nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting flavour of buns! Thanks for sharing!I've baked some bread myself this morning but it's a shame that I can't post it yet coz my laptop is broken & need to send for repair. Now using my sister-in-law's computer to send this message!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shall I give you a heads-up on our next visit?? 2 loafs please!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These buns must be soooo good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the flavours in these buns. And they look so soft and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me encanta estos panes con un rico queso lucen esponjosos y bellos,ricos ,ricos,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi Joyce,
    i never try putting in green onions in buns...wondering how it tastes
    but ham, cheese and green onions are best friends, so i guess it just makes the buns tastes yummier huh?
    bookmarked, thks :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. eileen@hundred eighty degreesMonday, March 19, 2012

    Love your bread! So soft!

    ReplyDelete
  21. dip this bread in mushroom creamy soup, must be very good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh that bread look so good I would love some for breakfast right now. Love the photo where you are pulling apart the buns.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute buns looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I can't describe how delicious they look! They have to be fantastic! I'm drooling and in misery after seeing them as I'm trying to lose a few pounds. this is a great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm tempted to pick a bun from my computer screen too! These buns are first class and made too with your home grown green onions! I'm sold :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. good morning joyce, i would very much like to have your savoury buns for my breakfast now..! looks like another book that worth the investment!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are a fabulous baker and you know, I think these buns are simply the best. They are being featured, this week, at Bake with Bizzy. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Its wonderful using your own fresh home-grown into your cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  29. These buns are just gorgeous...so fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Joyce, I love all these breads you've been making from this book - every single one of them has looked wonderful. I especially love your presentation of this one, with the "pull apart" buns.

    Thanks so much for sharing these at Cookbook Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pinch back once or twice before setting out, thus promoting compact, bushy growth.
    lettuce seeds

    ReplyDelete