Monday, May 14, 2012

Crisp Coconut And Chocolate Pie : Free And Easy Bake-Along #24 - Theme : Bake With 4 Ingredients

This may be a day late, but here's my wish to all you lovely mothers

"HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY".

******************

Interesting theme for our Bake-Along No. 24 - Bake With Four Ingredients, chosen by Zoe. I'm really curious to see what everyone else is baking for this Bake-Along. I have a couple of recipes that uses four ingredients that I wanted to try. Well I did try out one, they ended up in the rubbish bin, I overbaked them and they burnt! Haha! So without much time and did not want to try that again, I sourced for other recipe that I can make in a jiffy! I was always ready with all my bake-alongs and other bakes, sometimes even weeks earlier, but not this time, I only made this on Saturday, kept it in the fridge and was away for an overnight trip. Came back late evening today (Sunday) and quickly took some photos. 



A really easy and quick tart to make with only four ingredients. The coconut crust at the sides are supposed to be puffy and loose, I guess I pressed them a little too much while covering the sides with aluminium foil before baking. The crust are chewy with the coconuts and I find that it is a little dry, perhaps the next time I'll add more butter and process the chewy coconut just a little so that they are smaller in pieces.


The chocolate filling is delicious, well, what can you expect with chocolate and cream mixture! Overall, this is a lovely tart, albeit on the slight dry crust, but that is easily adjusted with a little more butter. I will be making this again, with adjustment, it is actually yummy! Some toasted walnuts at the bottom of the chocolate filling would be delicious!


I only made half the recipe, and it makes quite a lot of crust. I used two small 6" tart pans, one with crust at the sides, and enough for one more 6" pan with crust only at the bottom. 



To see what my baking buddies Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids and our baking friends who are baking along with us are baking, please visit them via the linky below. I cannot wait to see their four ingredient bakes!


Our next Bake-Along : Bake-Along No. 25 (29 May)
It's our Bake-Along 1st Anniversary! Yup, Bake-Along has been going on for a year now, so the three of us thought that it would be fun and wonderful to bake something special just to celebrate our 1st year at Bake-Along! We have decided on baking "layer cake"! Come and celebrate with us, bake any layer cake, join our blog-hop on 29th May for "Bake-Along 1st Anniversary Layer Cake"!


Photobucket



Crisp Coconut and Chocolate Pie
(source from : Martha Stewarts's New Pies and Tarts)
Makes : One 9-inch Pie
For The Crust :
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
11 ounces (about 6 cups) sweetened shredded coconut
For The Filling
1-1/4 cups heavy cream
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), finely chopped

  1. Make the crust : Preheat the oven to 350F. In a food processor, process butter and one-third of coconut until mixture forms a ball, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Sprinkle remaining two-thirds coconut over mixture, and combine with your fingers.
  2. Place a 9-inch pie plate on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Press coconut mixture into bottom and up sides of pan to form crust, leaving top edges loose and fluffy. Place a foil ring over edge to prevent burning. Bake until center begins to brown, 10 to 15 minutes; remove foil, and bake until edges are browned, 4 to 6 minutes more. Transfer crust to a wire rack to cool completely.
  3. Make the filling : Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan, pour over chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Let sit 10 minutes, then stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is 
  4. combined. Pour into coconut crust. Refrigerate until filling is set, 1 hour or up to 1 day.

Join our blog hop, click on the link below :
get the InLinkz code


30 comments:

  1. Hmm interesting with coconut pie...it still looks pretty to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. usually you're the first to post. This morning when i was about to post, didnt see your post and thought, your bakes got burnt again! hahaha! How simple it sounds, just by using these 4 ingredients, you can come up with such lovely dessert! cant wait to see the rest. You must be really tired, rushing for this post. So today is sleeping day for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very good to me too. Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. chocolate chewed together with coconut, sounds delicious, Joyce :)
    my 4 ingredients bake is in the oven now LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great! I love the combination of chocolate and coconut. It is one of my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved it
    http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pie looks great joyce. you are right, can never go wrong with chocolate and cream :D
    M waiting for my camera to upload my pics :(. My MIL have it for her friends get together. Will post till noon (i.e., Indian noon :D)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the coconut crust on the side of the pie! Beautifully presented & what a great combination! My hubby is gonna love this pie with his favorite coconut & chocolate! I really must try this & what I like was the fact that you only used 4 ingredients!! Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just mention to Lena that I almost forgot that I have to post this bake-along post today... Suddenly, I remember. *phew*

    I can see that you are great fan of the coconut and chocolate combination and this tart looks amazing and I can't tell that it has only 4 ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The crust is made from shredded coconut? Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish to have a slice rite now,irresistible pie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely mouthwatering!Have a lovely week,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow just 4 ingredients for such a fab dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truly delicious, what with the coconut crust and the chocolate filling..

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow. this is such a rich dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joyce,speaking of this 4 ingredient theme, I think I've seen a couple of books that cook with just 4 ingredients & the authors are Australians. If I'm not mistaken the authors behind this series of book cooks have now gone separate ways & wonder what happen to them now!

    Back to your dessert, I like the chocolate filling of this recipe as I just love chocolate so much, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a irresistible pie looks so rice and yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how this coconut crust sounds and looks...together with the creamy chocolate cream...yum!
    Thanks for this easy recipe and hope you have a wonderful week Joyce :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks sinfully delicious and I can't wait to try it! Thanks for the great recipe and have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chocolate and coconut is a match made in heaven! That cookbook (Martha Stewart) is on my wish list. I have her "Cookies" cookbook and her "Cupcakes" cookbook. I'd love the Pie and Tarts one too. Pretty amazing there's only four ingredients. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had a hard time searching for 4 ingredients recipes so passed on this round of Bake Along, will try the next one on layered cakes, (hopefully, lol! I am a procrastinator)Your chocolate pie does looks delicious with the coconut crust, very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy. Look at the choco filling!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is decadent and delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a perfect combination , chocolate & coconut!! just delicious to go with tea!! sedap eh!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks wonderful, I love coconut and chocolate together. I am intrigued with that crust. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh la la...mimpi indah if get one slice.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What great ideas for only four ingredients! Your pie looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Does the chocolate ganache need any sweetening? I have read other reviews on this pie and alot of people said it was bitter. Some people used semi-sweet chocolate. Any suggestions, thoughts etc.??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I don't find it bitter, I like it. You could always use semi-sweet chocolate or milk chocolate if you prefer. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete