Friday, May 11, 2012

Mango Guacamole

I bought some avocados and they have been sitting on my kitchen counter for the past week, just waiting for them to ripen, I have no idea it would take that long for the avocados to get soft. I wrapped them up with paper to speed up the ripening process, and it takes a whole week of waiting! And this was supposed to be my post for last week's theme at IHCC. Needless to say, I did not submit anything for last week, blame it all on the avocados!! :o)  But it is worth the waiting! This is the first time that I've made Guacamole, and definitely this won't be the last time!


Green Avocados, could not find any ripe ones at the supermarket!


This Guacamole is so simple, easy and absolutely delicious! I have always wanted to make Guacamole, among one of the things on my list of to-do. I Heart Cooking Clubs theme for this week is "For Mom" since Mother's Day is end of this week. Well, I'm making this for myself, the "Mom", and am enjoying it to the max!


This is incredibly delicious! It is chunky creamy, with all the flavours from the avocados, the sweetness from the mango, the crunch from the onions, the mild spiciness from the chili, the wonderful fragrant from the cilantro and a light tangy sourness from the lime, with a little sprinkle of salt, it is PERFECT! 


 I served this with Cheezy Tortilla Corn Chips, YUMMY!


Want one?  
Guess what, after I had this, I went out to buy a couple more avocados, now wrapped up on my kitchen counter, could not wait for next week!  :)


To see other delicious recipes made for "Mom", drop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) where we are currently cooking from Rick Bayless's recipes.


Rick Bayless @IHCC button rounded


I'm sharing this too with :
Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Mango Guacamole
(source from : Season 6 of Mexico, Rick Bayless)
Makes about 2-1/2 cups)
Ingredients
3 large ripe avocados
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/2 to 1 fresh serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus a few leaves for garnish
about 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 medium ripe mango, peeled, flesh cut from the pit and diced
salt


  1. Cut the avocados in half, running your knife around the pit from stem to blossom end and back up again. Twist the halves in opposite directions to free the pit, and pull the halves apart. Dislodge the pit, then scoop the avocado flesh into a large bowl. Coarsely mash the avocado with a large fork or potato masher. Rinse the onion under cold water, shake off the excess water, then add it to the avocado along with the serrano, cilantro and lime juice.
  2. Mix in 2/3 of the diced mango. Taste and season with salt. If not using immediately, cover with plastic wrap pressed directly on the surface of the guacamole and refrigerate - preferably for no more than a few hours.
  3. When you're ready to serve, scoop guacamole into a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining diced mango and cilantro sprigs. Serve with tortilla chips, slices of cucumber or jicama.

30 comments:

  1. Love the brilliant idea of adding mango to the usual guacamole,stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds yummy and refreshing!I have to try this one!Have a lovely day,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea, can't wait to try this..

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting recipe. sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm just drooling here imagining that mango in your guacamole! last time i also made a simple pineapple guacamole and just love that too. i also had some avocados that just refuse to ripe, it's been weeks in the fridge..i tried to cut one and see..still so hard! i think those must have been plucked way way earlier before the appropriate days :((

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avocado...not my fav at all. Hope u can spare more nice recipes with avocado. Hope I able to follow and try to eat it. Lol wish u have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. err... I tried the guacamole from Chillis and not so keen on the taste...maybe adding the mangoes makes it more tasty huh! Avocados are very high in calories so I avoid them and also they are very expensive, so no love lost there lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This may be one of the prettiest guacs I've ever seen--and who would have thought to add mango? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I use it in fish tacos and it's delicious!!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm... I can only imagine how delicious this tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love guacamole & this is such a great idea with mango! Will try out this recipe with my friends whose coming over for appretif TONIGHT! They'll be amazed! Will let you know the feedback. But now I have to go & hunt those ripe avacados! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this looks luscious…I have to give it a try! We are huge guacamole fans!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mango is a favorite and you just can't go wrong putting it in a good guacamole.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one is on my to-try list - it looks so incredibly good. I know I'd have no problem polishing off that whole dish. (I probably shouldn't admit that, but it's true...)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, sweet and creamy. Great twist!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce,
    I wanted to make this for a long time.
    It's good to find a tested recipe at your place.
    I will try it soon...Can I try yours first??..:p
    Wishing you a very 'Happy Mother's Day'

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Mother's Day Joy!! I know what you mean about waiting for the avocados to ripen. I always have to plan so far ahead when I want to make a recipe using them. I've never had guacamole with mango before, what a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a delicious guacamole with the mango addition! That was a long wait but well worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have this one tagged to try as I have loved both Rick's guacamole recipes that I have tried so far. Love the pop of color. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice variation on an old theme! Will definitely have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of my favorite types of guac, looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a wonderful recipe, I just love the combination! Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made a pomagranate corn guacamole in July 2010 that was incredible! I just love the creaminess of the avocado against the tarte pomegranate seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - mango guacamole! I definitely have to try it. We love both mangoes and avocados, looks like a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wanted to make guacamole for a long time too. Simpan resepi dalam my resepi file book I think full of dust already ....hehehehe....looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great week end and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Waiting for avocados to ripen can certainly make you feel inpatient. My market just started selling them ripe and unripe and I really appreciate that. I love mangoes, but hadn't thought to add them to guacamole. I bet it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoy the mexican kitchen so far but guacamole is the best thing i made yet. This one with mango sounds heavenly and is another one that i have to bookmark. Avocados ripen sooner next to bananas;-)

    ReplyDelete