Thursday, May 30, 2013

Braised Chicken with Taro and Mushroom


To submit your post to Bake-Along #45, Seeded Crackers, click here.

******************

Little Thumbs Up : Baking and Cooking event, selected ingredient for the month of May is "MUSHROOMS"

Little Thumbs Up, is an event organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids and Doreen from my little favourite D.I.Y. , where an ingredient is selected each month and everyone is welcome to join in by using the selected ingredient either in your bakes or in your cooking pot. I am the host for this month, and my selected ingredient is "MUSHROOMS". Please do join us, cook or bake any recipes using Mushrooms as one of its ingredient, post it in your blog within this month, (only new and current posts), and link to Little Thumbs Up, in the thumbnail linky which is provided at the bottom of this post. To find out more details on Little Thumbs Up, please click here.

While this month's theme is MAY : MUSHROOMS, the selected ingredient for June is Curry Powder or Paste and will be hosted by Everybody Eats Well In Flanders. Cook  or bake any of your favourite curry dish, and link that up in June which shall start on 4th June.

*****************

Hi friends, only two more days for the submission of Mushrooms at Little Thumbs Up. 


Mushroom For Today : Dried Shiitake Mushroom





Made this for dinner, eaten with plain white rice. This is a simple dish and quick dish to prepare, I have used chicken breast meat, though I think with boned-in pieces of chicken would be even better. 


I love eating taro, any way it is cooked, and with the addition of mushroom even better.


I'm linking this post to Little Thumbs Up event, hosted by Joyce, kitchen flavours, organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids and Doreen for my little favourite D.I.Y.


Little Thumbs Up


To join us, simply bake or cook any recipes using the ingredient for this month MUSHROOM.  Submit your post by linking to the thumbnail linky provided at the bottom of this post. 

  • Your submission must be a current and new post.
  • Mention Little Thumbs Up in your post, and submit your post to the thumbnail linky to the host of this month, Joyce from kitchen flavours, and link to Bake For Happy Kids, and my little favourite D.I.Y
  • Feel free to display Little Thumbs Up badge in your post.
  • Last date of linking will be on 31st May 2013.



Braised Chicken with Taro and Mushroom
(adapted from "Quick and Easy", Martin Yan)
6 dried black mushrooms
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thigh meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Sauce :
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon black soy sauce (my addition)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
5 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 Chinese sausages (2 ounces each), cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch thick slices
1 pound taro, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 green onions, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces

In a bowl, soak the mushrooms in warm water to cover until softened, about 15 minutes; drain. Discard the stems and cut the caps in half.
In a bowl, combine the chicken and cornstarch and turn to coat the chicken evenly. Let stand 10 minutes.
To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
Place a 3-quart saucepan over high heat until hot. Add the oil, swirling to coat the bottom. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the chicken and sausages and stir-fry until the chicken is lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, taro, green onions, and sauce, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the taro is tender, about 15 minutes. ( I have added in the white part of green onions along with other ingredients, and reserving the green parts until taro is tender, and added that last, just before serving).
Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.

#49/100

16 comments:

  1. I'm drooling over this dish that looks so sedaplicious! YUMMY! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is yummy, thanks for sharing. My mum always cook this but without the rice wine and chicken broth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love taro and together with braised chicken sounds absolutely delicious.
    Thanks for the recipe Joyce :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totalmente irresistible muy muy rico,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. braising chicken is one of the best ways to bring out the most flavor! this looks rich and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you believe I've never tried taro before? What a shame! This would be such a delicious way for me to start. I love braised chicken and mushrooms too. Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mushrooms and Taro sounds like a wonderful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce, another great dish that you've cooked again! I like eating anything that is cooked with taro.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks super yummy dish!!!! Like to bookmark this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's rare to find a recipe that uses taro! What a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce , another tasty dish with mushroom ! Love the taro addition , it makes the dish much more creamier :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. i wished i could submit more for this month...i'm short of time :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this dish with the addition of taros! Hou sek! I recalled my mum used to make something similar as yours with taro. Not really sure but I recalled eating all the taros from that dish! LOL Bookmarking this recipe again! YUMMY! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just tried this and eating it now and it's amazing! I just used more chinese rice wine and water instead of adding chicken broth. I also didn't include sausage. I'm surprised how much soy sauce is called for in the recipe, because I only added 1 tbsp of light soy sauce along with 1 tbsp of miso and it's pretty flavorful already. I'm assuming it would be way too salty with more soy sauce especially if you also use regular chicken broth. The farmer's market was selling the full stalk of taro root so I also included the stalk greens off the taro root and I'm so glad I did because it gave the dish some extra texture.

    ReplyDelete