Thursday, May 16, 2013

Fettuccine with Spring Onions and Soya Bean : IHCC


To submit your post to :
~ Little Thumbs Up, Mushroom event, click here.

************************


"Use Your Noodle" , our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are cooking from Yotam Ottolenghi's recipes until September. There are a couple of recipes that I've listed down to try and finally chose this "easy and comforting" pasta meal, so says Ottolenghi. The original recipe uses dried wide rice noodles and can be substitute with fettuccine instead. I've decided to use fettuccine since I have a packet in my pantry and some frozen soya beans in my freezer which is one of the ingredients used.


This dish uses lots of spring onions, I have no problem with that, as we love spring onions in my house, and usually when I cook any dish with spring onions, I will use lots of it! I have some green jalapenos in my fridge and use that to replace the green chilies.  Some sesame seeds are toasted to be mixed in later. Seasoning used are some sesame oil, rice-wine vinegar, salt and lemon zest. Fettuccine are cooked till al dente. The spring onions are sauteed in a little oil together with the sliced jalapenos for about 2 minutes, add in the soya beans and pour over the drained fettuccine,  the seasonings are added in, and mix well to combine.


Top with some lemon zest before serving. This dish is just OK me. I would not say that it is entirely not tasty, but a little plain if eaten as a meal. It would be OK if served as a side dish alongside some roasted meat, but to eat it as a meal by itself is pretty much boring in my opinion. I made this for my kids' after school lunch, and not sure they will like this, so I have jazzed it up a little. I pan-fried some chopped bacon, along with some leftover sausage filling from my Portobello Pizza, and toss the bacon-sausage mixture with the fettucine, with some black pepper.


Bacon and sausages never fails to add flavour to a dish! Tastes so much better. My kids ate this without complaints, even commented "Wow, with bacon, very nice!" 


IHCC Ottolenghi Leek
Badge resized


Please do stop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) to view what my friends have made for the theme of this week, "Use Your Noodle" , and if you are interested to join us, please find out more details from IHCC.


Fettuccine with Spring Onions and Soya Beans
(source from : here, Yotam Ottolenghi)
250 gm dried wide rice noodles (or fettuccine)
3 tbsp sunflower oil
32 small spring onions, trimmed and cut diagonally into 3cm slices
2 green chillies, thinly sliced
250 gm frozen soya beans, blanched for two minutes, refreshed and drained
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1-1/2 tsp rice-wine vinegar
2 tbsp chopped coriander (optional)
salt
grated zest of 1 lemon

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the noodles for four to six minutes, until al dente. Drain, wash off the excess starch with hot water and set aside in a large bowl with half a tablespoon of sunflower oil stirred through. Keep the bowl somewhere warm, covered.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining sunflower oil in a large wok or saute pan and add the spring onions and chilli. Cook for two minutes on high heat until the onions soften a little, then add the soya beans and heat them through for 30 seconds.

Pour the contents of the wok over the warm noodles, followed by the sesame oil, sesame seeds, vinegar, coriander (is using) and half a teaspoon of salt. Stir and serve at once, sprinkled with lemon zest.

16 comments:

  1. What I like the most about it - because it's something I don't usually use with pasta but now really made me think about doing it - is the sesame seeds. Regardless of how you feel about it, you made a beautiful dish out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these fettuccine look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, I agree anything tastes good with bacon! This is actually a nice noodle dish and you were right in adding bacon and sausages to make the flavours more robust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess as a vegetarian meal, this would be pretty nice. Maybe add some mushrooms to give it some (fake) meaty flavour ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Joyce! How many events are you involved in? :D

    Amazing energy level!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, very creative of you for making a fusion pasta with spring onions & soy beans inside!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i put soybeans in like everything but never pasta so I am loving this idea! so flavorful and fresh

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks really delicious! I would love it very much but my sons would love it more with bacon!:P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color in this--it looks like a great spring dish. A good idea to add more flavor with the sausage and bacon too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This pasta dish looks great, Joyce. I would want to try cooking spring onions with pasta, it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same here - even chopped spring onions and ginger with oil makes me happy :D Want a plateful of your refreshingly delicious pasta ! Bacon and ham makes everything sublime :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Se ve muy bien absolutamente delicioso un hermoso plato,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! This looks delicious! I love that there is some good green protein and hot spicy chile! I imagine this tasting great too, as a cool pasta salad-type dish! Am I crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am crazy about spring onions--borders on addiction. All the shades of green against the pale pasta is inviting. But I can see how this might be better as a side dish. Maybe too much of the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  15. bacon is tasty! hehe...but just curious about soya beans..never tried eating soya bean!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the sound of this, but then I am a big fan of quite simple pasta...especially at this time of year, Autumn here in NZ & that always puts me in the mood for comfort food :) However....bacon does always make things better!

    ReplyDelete