Thursday, May 9, 2013

THB : Mulberry-Almond Cake


To submit your post to :
~ Little Thumbs Up, Mushroom event, click here.
~ Bake-Along #44 : Celebration Cupcakes for BA's 2nd Anniversary, click here

************************

The Home Bakers (THB)'s selected recipe for this week is Marionberry-Hazelnut Cake, chosen by Janis of The Kitchen Is My Shrink. A word of thanks to Janis who has not been blogging much lately, but has find the time to bake and host her selected recipe. 

I have heard of marionberry, but have never seen the actual berries before. I'm not even sure if we can find it over here. Even if we can get it here, these berries would be extremely expensive! The good thing about using berries, we can substitute with just about any other berries. Since marionberries are not available in my part of the world, I have substitute with frozen mulberries, as I have a few cups of frozen mulberries in my freezer.
There's a variation in the recipe to use either hazelnut or almonds.  And I have chosen to use almonds.


I made half a recipe and baked in a 7" round springform pan. The batter is made up of ground almonds, some flour, and the usual butter, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon powder. I have reduced the sugar slightly to a scant 1/4 cup each of brown sugar and caster sugar. It works out fine, not too sweet, just right.


The frozen mulberries are scattered all over the batter. Slivered almonds are mixed with some brown sugar and cinnamon powder, then these are sprinkled all over the mulberries and cake batter. Bake at 350F, it took about 38 minutes.


This cake has a moist and soft texture. I love the tangy mulberries and the almonds! This is one lovely and delicious cake! A keeper recipe!



For the full recipe, please visit Janis from The Kitchen Is My Shrink and to view other members' bake, drop by The Home Bakers (THB).



Welcome to The Home Bakers


We are a group of home bakers who are currently baking from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas, until each recipe from this book has been baked. This is our bake no. 18 and we have 42 recipes more to go. If you are interested to be a member and join in our bakes, you may drop me an email at kitchenflavours@yahoo.com.

#41/100

23 comments:

  1. Sounds like a marvelous cake! No marionberries around here, either, but I think your substitute is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake looks SO good! I have never even heard of a mulberry.. Need to look this up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce, your cake texture looks beautiful! I can't wait to post mine up tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be a busy month for you juggling between 2 blog events, Joyce! Superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've never eaten mulberries but I do know that they are quite easily available here. Bookmarking this to try soon! I love how moist it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I've never seen marionberries before too. Nevertheless, mulberries are pretty rare too and I must say, they do look a hint like blueberries in terms of colour. Your cake looks moist and juicy. It's high time I got down to making mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even get hold of mulberries not to mention marionberries lol! Great looking cake and I am pretty sure it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome cake ... I have not seen mulberries and wonder how it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful cake and the flavors sound delicious together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, the cake looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't even know that there's this berry called marionberries until now :D It seems that your mulberry tree is thriving ! The cake looks moist and so yummy :) Love the mulberries and almond combo .

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a luscious nutty cake! I love the flavours, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joyce, your cake looks moist and delicious. Too bad, I don't think mulberry is always available at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  14. have not baked this yet and hv not even posted the previous one yet. will do it soon! happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesSaturday, May 11, 2013

    I will try to bake this next weekend. There's still a big cake in the fridge waiting to be consumed :) .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cake looks delicious & berrilicious too! I used almond meals too for this cake & greed that this is another keeper recipe that I'll surely bake again . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I knew I would have to sub also. I have not baked yet. Have been offline for a few days. I hope to make mine tomorrow. Yours is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi Joyce, I dun even know that there's such thing as marionberry LOL
    I will make this cake using blueberries most probably :)
    and of course, almonds :P
    your cake indeed looks real moist!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oi!??? tot I left a comment much earlier?

    Envy you the mulberries and a perfect cake!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Joyce,
    You cake looks so pretty!! I really love the pattern the batter and berries have created as the batter rose and encased some of the berries. You cake looks very delicious and moist.

    ReplyDelete