Saturday, January 29, 2011

Milk Chocolate Ice Cream

Another creamy ice cream from David Lebovitz. This ice cream uses milk chocolate and I added in the chocolate chips, which is an option. Well, with kids in the house, this is not an option but a MUST! ^..^





This ice cream is really creamy and the taste of the chocolate is rather mild, as expected with milk chocolate, so if you intend to make this, do not skip the chocolate chips, they make this rather mild ice cream more chocolaty. The next time when I make this again, I'm going to try with bitter chocolate. 



I'm sharing this lovely dessert with :
Full Plate Thursday over at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Sweets For A Saturday over at Sweet As Sugar Cookies
Recipe Swap Thursday over at Prairie Story



Milk Chocolate Ice Cream
(adapted from "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz)
Ingredients :
8 ounces (230gm) milk chocolate with at least 30 percent cocoa solids, finely chopped
1-1/2 cups (375ml) heavy cream
1-1/2 cups (375ml) whole milk
3/4 cup (150gm) sugar (I use 1/4 cup, which is actually quite sweet!)
Big pinch of salt
4 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons Cognac
3/4 cup (120gm) cocoa nibs or semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (optional)

Combine the milk chocolate and cream in a large, heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is melted, then remove the bowl from the saucepan. Set it aside with a mesh strainer over the top.
Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scrapping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer into the milk chocolate mixture, add the Cognac, and mix together. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. During the last few minutes of churning, add the cocoa nibs, if using.

23 comments:

  1. Looks great! Cognac and chocolate chips are a nice addition to deliciously rich chocolate ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy,
    I want that Ice Cream Cone...it looks sooooo good!
    What a great combination for ice cream. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful ice cream with us here at Full Plate Thursday. You have a great week end and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy and so beautiful !!!
    I will du it in the summer for childrens...
    Have a nice weekend !
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel like relishing some rite now...yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great snap! Your icecream looks delicious. I find that icecream is even better when it has a filling such as choc chips, because then there is a texture contrast. Yum :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emmmm...yummmy! Not only kids love your creamy icecream with chocolate chips, I definetly going to love slllurppp. it too! Too bad I dont have the iceream maker, will have to look for them in the supermarket today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, actually yum with chocolate chunks! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yumm yumm boleh cuba resepi ni tapi without Cognac.Tentu sedap ni:)..selamat tahun baru cina untuk anda sekeluarga:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It may be winter here and snowy, but I still crave ice cream. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious...I love ice-cream...doesn't matter if it's summer or winter! :) Yes, I love dark chocoate too for the bolder flavor. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made ice cream yesterday. My family LOVES ice cream. I usually make plain ol' vanilla, but I really need to branch out and try different recipes. This one looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ice looks so creamy and smooth. Must be very delicious with chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always looking for new ice cream recipes as I am absolutely in love with my ice cream maker. :o) I haven't made a chocolate ice cream yet as it's not my favourite, BUT this looks perfect as you say it's not TOO chocolatey. Thanks for sharing Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so good. I've never had a bad recipe from DL, so I know this tastes every bit as good as it looks. I hope you have a fabulous day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chocolate chip is always a winner in my book! And homemade ice cream is such a treat! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi friends,
    Thank you for your visits! Ice cream are always an all-time favourite! Either homemade or store-bought, they are always welcome! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. MMM!!! the ice cream looks delicious but the cone looks even more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This ice cream looks so delicious and I love the bit of cognac here :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. My kid will love this. Because of my fussy husband, I got to think some modifications to make this ice cream without egg yolk.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel cold looking at it now but I know I am going to really like this when summer comes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. That ice cream looks super creamy and delicious. I hope you'll be able to join in again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This chocolate ice cream looks wonderful - I would like to try it with bitter sweet chocolate too - and I agree the chocolate chips are "essential".
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete