Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Chocolate-Cherry Brownies (TWD)

Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD) is currently baking from "Baking Chez Moi", by Dorie Greenspan., and the selected recipe for this week is Chocolate-Cherry Brownies.  

This recipe uses dried cherries which is boiled in a mixture of a couple tablespoons of red wine and water until the cherries has soaked up most of the liquid, then left to cool before using. I do not have any opened bottle of red wine, so I have used kirsch instead. 


Moist, plump dried cherries after it has soaked up all the kirsch and water, smells really nice.


Just like most brownies, they are really easy to make, without the need of a stand mixer. Everything is mixed in a bowl. I used dark chocolate, most of it is melted together with the butter, and the balance is chopped to fine pieces to be mixed into the batter later. One interesting ingredient is the usage of ground black pepper. Though I can't taste it in the baked brownie, it is an interesting ingredient to be added to a brownie! I've reduced the sugar slightly, used  only 120 gm and have added a teaspoon of vanilla extract even though it is not stated in the recipe.


According to the recipe, the brownie is baked for 27-29 minutes until the top is uniformly dull. Mine took a little longer, as the centre is still shiny, soft and not cooked. It was done at 35 minutes, when a thin knife inserted in the centre come out almost clean, and the top of the brownie is dull and crisp.



I made these brownies in the evening and left it to cool in the pan overnight. They were sliced on the next day. They were easy to slice, though the next time I would cut the cherries in half, as they were quite big and plump!



These brownies are so yummy! With a layer of crisp top, the insides are moist, fudgy and so chocolaty delicious, with the melted bits of chocolates in it! I love to bite into the moist, plump cherries, which I could detect a faint fragrance of the kirsch. Chocolate and cherries, they are a perfect combination! 

I'm linking this post with Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD). 


and
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg




21 comments:

  1. Adding Kirsch to the cherries -- what a great idea! Would definitely pump up the cherry flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were good, weren't they. Mine took around 35-40 minutes to cook as well - before that, they were so gooey in the middle that the testing hole filled back up with batter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved these. I also had to bake them a little longer than Dorie, and that is a first. Usually Dorie likes her goodies almost over baked in my oppinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce! How lovely that this brownie contains cherries. I bought a packet of dried cherries before and they were so sour! Interesting to note that this recipe contains black pepper though you couldn't taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Mine would not cut straight due to the cherries in them. I thought they were delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo…the Kirsch sounds heavenly! I baked mine 10 minuets longer than the recipe called for. These were a big hit with my family. Yours look luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great idea of adding cherries in brownie batter and it turned out really great, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I baked mine longer too. You were able to get such straight lines haha! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kirsch, what an inspired idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy I made me a half recipe of a gluten free version (used cranberries), but did make the full recipes with cherries which I would love. Yours look great! Mine were just right after 28 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good call with the kirsch. I'm sure it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look perfect, Joyce! And they must have tasted fantastic with the kirsch-soaked fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nicely sliced. ... this chocolatey Chocolate-Cherry Brownies definitely tasted good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your use of kirsch! I, too, baked mine longer than the recipe called for. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I baked mine for 29 minutes, and they were a little underdone, but I don't mind the extra gooey-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see you actually cut your brownies into 25 pieces. I would want to eat more than just one:) Looks like they came out just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce, cherries with kirsch are a real treat with brownies. I like this combi alot!! The brownies look super moist, just the way I love mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kirsch! I should have done that since I have a bottle on hand! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. they look so fudgy--yum! and kirsch is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kirsch sounds like it worked great with this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kirsch sounds perfect! Very cherry! I used cassis, for that is what I had on hand. These were tasty, weren't they?!!

    ReplyDelete