Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Mini Croques-Monsieur

"Fromage S'il Vous Plait!" (Cheese If You Please), the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). I've made Mini Croques-Monsieur, which according to Jacques Pepin, these mini sandwiches can be prepared ahead and baked as needed for a large party or wedding reception. Well, I made this for our afternoon light lunch.


Ham slices and cheese are sandwiched between two slices of white bread, which is buttered and toasted till brown and crispy.  I've used yellow cheddar cheese.


Cut into mini squares to serve. My kids rather enjoyed these cute little mini sandwiches.


Mini Croques-Monsieur
(adapted from "More Fast Food My Way", Jacques Pepin)
makes 6 mini sandwiches

Arrange 2 thick slices white bread next to one another on the counter and cover 1 slice completely with slices of cheese. Add 1 slice ham to cover the cheese and then add another layer of cheese and ham before finishing with the other slice of bread. Spread about 1 teaspoon butter on each side of the sandwich and arrange it on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for about 12 minutes, or until the croque-monsieur is brown and crusty on both sides. Cool for about 5 minutes. Trim off the crust if you like and cut into 6 small rectangles. Serve hot with toothpicks.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week 
"Fromage S'il Vous Plait!" (Cheese If You Please)


12 comments:

  1. My kids eat ham and cheese sandwiches very often, I shall try out your method too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce I love croques monsieur and these look yumm!
    I would eat someones:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce,

    This is my kind of fast food!!! Nice that they are not just hand-y but also finger-y to eat :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to make these too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce,
    Yummy! Before my small toaster bid farewell few years ago, I used to make toast bread ham + cheese mini sandwich. Hmm ... can use oven. Thanks for sharing ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a simple and delicious sandwich! Perfect treat to go with a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, these are adorable and I can imagine they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find for some great tasting and easy to prepare recipes for a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These mini sandwiches are fantastic for my afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ham and cheddar - yum. Baking the sandwiches is a such a great way to make a large quantity to feed a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the perfect treat for kids and adults too! Love how cheesy your little sandwiches are. That melting cheese makes my mouth water:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My fave sandwich is a grilled cheese. Pepin has made it even better!!! Love this.

    ReplyDelete