Friday, December 23, 2016

Gingerbread

This month at The Cake Slice Bakers, the four selected recipes from the book which we are currently baking from, World Class Cakes by Roger Pizey, are :

Coffee and Walnut Cake
Paul A. Young's Torta Gianduja
Caribbean Coconut Cake with Rum
Gingerbread

Members can choose any one of these recipes to bake. My choice is Gingerbread.



This is a simple and easy bake. I've made half a recipe, bake in a 8-1/2x4-1/2 inch loaf pan. The only changes I made was to use Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of dark corn syrup, and brown sugar instead of superfine sugar, as indicated in the recipe. 

From the photo in the book, the cake is beautifully decorated with a lace pattern using royal icing. Of course, the frosting can be spread over the cake instead, but I've decided to omit the frosting.



The gingerbread turns out moist, soft and tender, though the colour is not as dark as other gingerbread. And the taste of the ginger is rather mild. I was thinking that some chopped crystallized ginger mixed into the batter would be nice.



Overall this is a nice moist, soft cake. Great with a cup of warm tea.




8 comments:

  1. Your Gingerbread looks heavenly Joyce. Thank you so much for sharing your tips and the recipe:)

    As you know, I haven't been blogging much lately. Although, I did do an update to my blog last night. I just had to pop by to tell you how wonderful it has been having you as a blogging pal through the years. I learned so much from you and I will always cherish the memories of the Picnic Game. Thank you Joyce. Stay well my friend...I hope you have a glorious blogging future!!! ~Louise~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the mild flavor of this gingerbread. It was nice to have with a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look moist! I bet it's delicious with a cup of tea! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the crumb of the gingerbread! Yes, lovely with tea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is a mild gingerbread, but I agree, its perfect with a nice cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! I can't get enough of gingerbread anything these days :-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce, with or without the royal icing, this gingerbread of yours is perfect with a cuppa tea. Enjoy !
    A blessed Christmas to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a big fan of golden syrup, so I love that you used it in your gingerbread. I really like that you can make a half recipe in a loaf pan, so I am looking forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete