Friday, December 16, 2016

Onion Tart

Cook The Book Fridays, a group of lovely foodie bloggers are cooking their way through David Lebovitz's cookbook, My Paris Kitchen. The selected recipe for this week is Onion Tart (Pissaladiere).

I've only made Pissaladiere once before. And remember that my kids were asking where is the cheese! My kids' idea that as long as it is some kind of pizza, or looks like it, it must have their favourite ingredient, Mozzarella cheese, and lots of it, the more the better! So this time, when I make David Lebovitz's Pissaladiere, I reminded them that I am making Pissaladiere, and traditionally it is made with NO cheese!

The caramelized onions took about 50 minutes to cook till dark golden brown. A few whole sprigs of thyme are cooked together with the onions. Remove the thyme sprigs before assembling the pissaladiere. 

I've made only two thirds of the recipe, to fit the size of the baking sheet I had. The dough was easy to handle. Pull and spread the dough to fill the base of the baking sheet. Spread the caramelized onions on the dough and arrange some olives and anchovies on the onions.



The pissaladiere is baked for about 20 minutes, though I baked mine for 25 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned. 



Delicious especially when eaten warm.


According to David, Pissaladiere should be crisp and very thin, not thick and bready. This is thin and crisp, and very delicious! Especially good eaten while still warm. My favourite part are the sides where you get to bite into the crispy edges and the crispy bottom of the crust. The caramelized onions are delicious and sweet,  match perfectly with the salty anchovies. 

This is a delicious onion tart. I love the crust, it would make a fabulous pizza base, and would be great with other pizza toppings, and of course, with lots of cheese too! 

Stop by Cook the Book Fridays to see what everyone thought about this Onion Tart.

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful write up, and great results with the tart base. Hope your kids enjoyed it as much as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a hit at our home. We adore onions, esp. the caramelized onions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny story about the cheese part. They are so flavorful, cheese can wait. You followed the recipe closely. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this tart too. All the flavors blended together so nicely! I agree that the crust was great, and it would make a nice base for pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really was tasty, wasn't it. The crust was so easy to work with and baked up well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are such great flavours, yes! I loved this dough - so easy to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wondering how your kids liked this Pissaladiére. Sorta hard to adjust to the taste after having grown up on pizzas! Yours looks perfect and your photos of the slice are great. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This tart had so much flavor that I didn't even miss cheese, though I see why your kids might ask for it. It's more like a pizza than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny that you had to warn the kids to adjust their expectations! I love the way this tart makes the most of caramelized onion. As much as I love cheese on a pizza, it would just get in the way here. I agree this dough would be perfect for pizza toppings, too.

    ReplyDelete