Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Pfefferneusse

I've made Pfefferneusse, a cookie which I cannot even pronounce its name. This recipe is from Dorie Greenspan's latest baking book "Dorie's Cookies". Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD) is currently baking from two books of Dorie's, every Tuesday of the week. 

According to Dorie, Pfefferneusse, (the name is German for "peppernut"), are made with chopped nuts, lots of spice and citrus. And there are lots of different spices used in these cookies ; ground cinnamon, ground black pepper, grated nutmeg, ground cardamom, dry mustard, orange zest and pecans. 



The recipe yields 38 cookies for me, close enough to 40 as indicated in the recipe. As mentioned in the book, these cookies can be kept for weeks as they are dry and firm by nature. 



Either glazed the top with melted chocolate mixed with espresso powder, or just a dusting of confectioners' sugar. I glazed most of the cookies with the chocolate glaze and about a dozen with the confectioners' sugar. 

I have mixed feelings over these cookies. As you bite into them, you would first notice the dry texture, (though not overly dry!), the crumbly crumbs and the taste of the spices all blended into one, though the spices are surprisingly mild. At the end of it, when you have finished the whole piece, there's the taste of black pepper lingering in the mouth. These cookies are rather different and new to me, I have not made cookies with so many different spices combined together. When I first bite into these cookies, I thought that it was just OK, but I find it sort of grow on you. They tasted nicer when I ate the second and the third piece. While the ones with the chocolate glaze is nice, I prefer the ones with the confectioners' sugar, goes really well with these spiced cookies. "Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice"! 

Stop by TWD to see what everyone is baking this week.


17 comments:

  1. I cooked mine only 18 minutes and i think that worked well for mine. Love these . Yours look perfect. Bet the chocolate ones are super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was only half-hearted about these as well. I thought I would have liked to try the chocolate next... interesting that you thought the opposite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. One must eat at least three of any cookie to decide on its taste. Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are a must during the holiday season over here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cookies look beautiful! I'm looking forward to trying this recipe, but like you, I'm not used to using pepper or dry mustard in my cookies! I'm not even sure I can find dry mustard (oh well,...I won't cry if I have to leave that ingredient out!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking cookies.I absolutely agree that they grow on you and you notice different things as you eat more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well they certainly look lovely and I think you did the recipe justice...maybe sometimes a particular cookie is just an acquired taste so I bet you will enjoy finding these somewhere and tasting them and comparing them to yours. That's always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both versions look super delicious! Good job with these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce, when I try to pronounce it, it sounds like "pepper nose". I noted that the Germans are fond of this mixed spices. So are the Dutch. I was gifted with some spiced biscuits and on first tasting it was weird but somehow I couldn't stop eating because it stared to taste better and better, just like what you experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cookies definitely grow on you. I prefer the chocolate ones but all are good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joyce,
    I'm intrigued on the many mixed spices in these cookies. Very festive looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel similarly that these cookies can really grow on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, the cookies look awesome, I love all the spices in it...it would be great with a cup of tea.
    I hope you are having a nice week Joyce :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are one my husband's favorite holiday cookies but this recipe is certainly different from most. I've never seen dried mustard used before, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cookies look wonderful. I like the sugar-coated ones too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look good and I agree that the spices are subtle in this cookie. I love the mix - I've never used mustard powder in a cookie before!

    ReplyDelete