Friday, April 6, 2012

Chillied Peanuts and Pumpkin Seeds

I Heart Cooking Clubs is currently cooking from Rick Bayless recipes every week for the next six whole months, starting from this week, with a different theme each week. Ever heard of Rick Bayless? I did, but have never tried his recipes before. I have always wanted to try Mexican food, but some ingredients is not easily available over here. Looks like I do have to substitute certain ingredients, I'm sure it would not be the same, but hopefully close enough. I will try to join in as often as I can.


For this week, the theme is Bienvenido Rick! (Welcome to IHCC Rick Bayless!) anyone is welcome to try out any recipe of Rick Bayless's . Since I am sort of busy this week, I decided to start off with a simple snack.


I have some peanuts (lots actually!), which I wanted to clear, and this snack seems perfect. This recipe calls for roasted peanuts which so happens, I have a cup that I have roasted several weeks before. I only did half a recipe as the rest of my household are not overly fond of peanuts, so I'll be snacking on this alone. The roasted peanuts are coated with about 1 tablespoon of lime juice, and sprinkled with ancho chile powder, since I do not have ancho chili powder, I used smoked paprika chili powder instead. These nuts are then roasted in the oven for about 20 minutes at 220C, I turned the peanuts every 5 minutes, until the chili powder has formed a light crust on the nuts. Salt are then sprinkled over the nuts. Meanwhile, toast the pepita (pumpkin seeds) in a skillet over medium heat, until pumpkins have popped and plumped up. Mix the pumpkin seeds with the peanuts and leave to cool. 


Once cooled, simply enjoy these as snacks to munch on. These spicy and salty snack would go well with a glass of cold beer! I'm not a beer person but I'll be munching on these while browsing for more of Rick Bayless's recipes to try! 

If you are interested to expand your horizon in trying out Mexican food, hop over to I Heart Cooking Clubs for more details and to see other delicious creations using Rick Bayless's recipes. 


I Heart Cooking Clubs



Chillied Peanuts and Pumpkin Seeds
(source from : rickbayless.com)
2 cups roasted peanuts (preferably without salt)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons ancho (or guajillo) chile powder, plus a little arbol chile powder if you like it spicy
salt
1 cup hulled pumpin (pepita) seeds

Turn on the oven to 250 degrees and position a rack in the middle. In a medium bowl, toss the peanuts with the lime juice until all have been moistened. Sprinkle evenly with chile, then toss until the chile evenly coats the nuts. Spread the nuts into a shallow layer on a baking sheet. Slide into the oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the chile has formed a light crust on the nuts. Remove from the oven and sprinkle generously with salt, usually about 1 teaspoon.

In a large skillet over medium, heat, toast the pumpkin seeds; spread the seeds into the skillet and, when the first one pops, stir constantly until all have popped from flat to round, about 5 minutes. Scoop on top of the peanuts, toss the two together, then scoop the mixture into a serving bowl.

24 comments:

  1. Wonderful looking snack. Very colorful preparation.

    Deepa
    http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.in/2012/04/open-faced-sandwich.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me gustan como los hiciste.
    Un saludito

    ReplyDelete
  3. i will snack on these non stop. YOur family not fond of peanuts, i am. Beer also i sapu, get ready, i'm coming over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I m not very fond of peanuts but love the pumpkin seeds, I'll help you eat those:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great introduction to Rick! And they look just wonderful. I am a beer fan and I know I'd love munching on these while sipping a beer! Adding to my "list"! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, chilled peanuts. That's different!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This guarantee will be the guys fav snack, imagine cold beer+spicy nuts, the guys will say "yummmm!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed a spicy introduction to Rick Bayless and his amazing Mexican recipes! Your substitutions are also inspiring Joyce. I'm saving this!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like an awesome snack!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great peanut recipe! Thanks to kitchen flavours for the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you make me a jar of these, please? Please, please pretty please...??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this recipe and almost made it. Looks great and I bet it tastes great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds famillair, a lot of ingredients aren't available overhere either.
    But we will make the best of it, don't we;-)
    The nuts sound yummy

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look delicious! Perfect bar snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great snack! I like this as a start to cooking with Rick Bayless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun snack to kick of cooking with Rick. I love the lime-chili combo. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you'll be joining us for Rick Bayless. I love to make spiced nuts for snacking on. These will definitely be on my radar during our 6 months with Rick. They look addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this kind of seeds! How I wish I live nearer. haha....
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, nice munchies, have to try the pumpkin seeds..

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great snack...they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete