Monday, April 23, 2012

Garlicky Mashed Potatoes : Rick Bayless

"From The Earth" is this week's theme at I Heart Cooking Club, where we are currently cooking from Rick Bayless's recipes. This is our first month with Rick Bayless, and we are starting the second month next week, how time flies by in a jiffy! For this week's theme, my plan was to make a vegetable salad, but somehow find myself making Garlicky Mashed Potatoes instead! I guess that potatoes are perfect for this theme and I have some homegrown chives, direct "from the earth"! (wink!!)


Chives in my potted garden. There are only two clumps but enough for my garnishings, omelettes and stir-fry noodles. And these plants are about eighteen months old, I grew these from seeds. Once the leaves are cut, they grow back really fast, I've been enjoying the leaves from the same plants for 18 months now. I have another pot of seeds that I've sowed two weeks ago and now have just sprouted some tiny little cute plants! :o)




Newly sprouted chives


 Young and tender leaves, great for garnishing.



My kids loves mashed potatoes, and I made this Garlicky Mashed Potatoes for their after school meal, as a side, together with some baked ham and eggs and some fresh cucumber and tomatoes.


Of course, this is a winner, they love it! The potatoes and garlic are first boiled till tender and mashed with warm milk, butter, season with salt and pepper. I did remove half the garlic before I mashed them up as the taste can be quite strong. Garnish with some chives and more coarse black pepper, yum!


Garlicky Mashed Potates


Do stop by I Heart Cooking Clubs and see what the others have come up with. If you would like to join us for some Mexican fiesta cooking from Rick Bayless's recipes, you can find out more details from IHCC.


Rick Bayless @IHCC button rounded


Garlicky Mashed Potatoes
(source from : Frontera Kitchen, Rick Bayless)
Serves 4 to 6
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks (I use Russet, peeled)
8 to 12 large garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup warmed milk or half-and-half, or more as needed
4 to 6 tablespoons softened butter
about 1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, optional


Put potatoes and garlic cloves into a large saucepan with salted water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low; cook until potatoes and garlic are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.


Drain and return potatoes and garlic to the pot. Set the pot over low heat and add the milk or half-and-half, butter and salt. Mash with a potato masher until as smooth as you like. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Transfer to a warm serving dish and sprinkle with chives.

34 comments:

  1. Love garlic and these potatos look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have never actually made garlic mash even though i love it, will have to give it ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will the gralic smell is very strong? I usually make the normal mashed potatoes with butter...my son fav.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angeline, I remove half the garlic before mashing, it has a light garlic aroma and taste, you could however remove all the garlic before you mashed the potatoes. It is nice, I took a couple of spoonfuls, the rest finished by my two kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey babe, there is some award for u on my blog. Hope u like yeah ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very flavorful, shud have tasted divine..

    ReplyDelete
  8. These garlic mashed potatoes look wonderful! Who can say no to this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your baby chives, Joyce! I didn't plant any this year but I think I still have time:)

    Garlicky Mashed Potatoes are my very best favorite and yours looks dee...lish...ous! You are really having fun cooking with Rick and so am I enjoying all this goodness.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce,
    My SIL cooks the garlic with the potatoes too, I usually oven roast mine with garlic and sea salt. This recipe sounds a lot easier, though. I like that you indicate milk first...much less fat than the cream.
    Eva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum..best with some roast chicken and some bread..eh..how come i sounded like taking KFC?? bet yours are much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds delicious and removing half the garlic is very wise! ;) I admire your garden herbs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wish to have this flavourful mashed potatoes from my dinner tonite..delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm amazed how chives are such a hardy plant. I cut them down to the ground every fall at our garden in Maine and as soon as the snow melts they are popping up green shouts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joyce,very flavorful !!!
    It is perfect I love it!For me is well-known these flavors!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great recipe and I can imagine how delicious it is. I love Rick Bayless and his restaurants here in Chicago too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i hated mashed potatoes growing up but I figure if I would have had yours I would have grown to love then sooner rather than later. I just started liking them a few years back! Great dish

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your kids are so lucky to come back to home cooked meals, my son has to cook his own instant noodles, does that count as home cooked too lol! Mashed potatoes is also his favorite side dish, he always eats mine whenever we are at a certain chicken fast food chain!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Joyce, wish I am your neighbour, ha ha. I bring durians for you, then maybe get invited come for dinner.
    One thing I will say, but not as a bachelor.
    Women who can cook like you are dangerous to bachelors....ha ha ha. They tend to bring home the cook show mummy, habis cherita! Mummy will say, 'so? When...'? Ha ha ha.
    Have a great weekend. Keep a song in your heart.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your mashed potatoes look really creamy and with all those garlic, I am sure it is very tasty too. I like the idea of garnishing it with chives.

    ReplyDelete
  21. these sound super delicious with all that garlic and chives! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow...mashed potatoes....absolutely my favorite !!!!loved the idea of garnishing with chives...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awww...your chive babies are so cute!
    Oh how I'd love this as an "after work" meal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah, Rick Bayless can do no wrong here in Chicago. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm pretty sure I could make a meal out of these- YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oo..bestnya..looks so creamy. want some.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always add garlic to my mashed potatoes, but not this much... next time I'll add more. Beautiful plate for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just love mashed potatoes! And garlic is an extra plus for me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mmm - garlic mashies! Delicious. And I love your mini chive garden. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. One of my husband's favourite treats; makes hime very happy. We still have a while to go before it's herb time around here.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  31. Garlic and pototoes are always a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love me some garlicky mashed potatoes! ;-) I just bought a variegated chive plant for my herb garden. I'm not sure if there is any difference in flavor but they sure look pretty. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those potatoes look like comfort food to me! With the garlic and chives, they're so full of flavor. I'd love to come home from school to that lovely meal. :)

    ReplyDelete