Thursday, April 12, 2012

Paletas (Mexican Fruit Pops) : IHCC

Hi to all you lovely Senoritas!!  Second week of Mexican yummies with Rick Bayless at I Heart Cooking Clubs, with this week's theme "Sweet Tooth"! So I made Paletas!, otherwise known as Iced Fruit Pops!



The word "paleta" translated means "blade" or "stick". Mexican Paletas have been called Mexican Popsicles or frozen fruit bars. Whatever names they are called, they are refreshingly yummy! I'm sure that most of us, at some time or other have made our version of Popsicles. Well, for this post, I'm sticking with the name "Paletas", it sounds more Mexican and  "sophisticated" since this is a post on Mexican cuisine (in this case, dessert!) after all! And saying "Paletas" makes me feel a little bit closer to Mexico! LOL!


I used two ripe mangoes for these, you may use any fruits you want. No exact measurement, simply taste and adjust to your taste.


You may follow the instructions as per the recipe below, or just follow what I did, pureed EVERYTHING in the blender, then pour into paletas mould and freeze.



I only have one set of 4 popsicle moulds, so I froze the balance in long plastic that was meant for our local ice cream. The difficult part is the waiting! Yup, the Paletas takes a couple of hours to freeze!


Just cut them up in equal lengths, still in the plastic, poke the stick gently right in the middle about halfway through and remove the plastic! It will be easier to do this when the Paletas are almost frozen. Cut them up, insert the stick about halfway through and continue freezing until hard.


Surprise the kids with these after their afternoon meal, when they are back from school, hot and hungry! Will definitely bring a smile! They did mine, and they are asking me, "Mommy, what flavour are you making next?" !!!


This post is linked to I Heart Cooking Clubs where the theme is "Sweet Tooth". Please do visit IHCC for other delicious Mexican desserts!


Rick Bayless @IHCC button rounded



Paletas (Mexican Fruit Pops)
(source from : fronterafiesta, Rick Bayless)
Makes 8, 2-ounce popsicles
2 scant cups coarsely pureed peeled and  pitted fruit (for really thick purees, like mango, you'll probably want to use 1-1/2 cups of fruit and a 1/2 cup of water, with looser purees, I wouldn't add any water)
1 to 4 tablespoons superfine sugar
1/2 to 2 tablespoons lime juice (I use lemon juice)

In a medium-size bowl or in a 1-quart measuring cup with a pour spout, combine the fruit with the minimum quantities of sugar and lime. Taste and determine what your fruit needs. Remember : when the mixture is frozen, flavours will be slightly muted, go for slightly sweeter and slightly tarter than you'd normally like. Stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved completely, then fill your moulds, leaving about 1/4 inch of head space to allow for expansion. Set the lids in place and insert the sticks through the holes, leaving 1-1/2 to 2 inches exposed.

Freeze until firmly set (this should take a couple of hours, though feel free to make them several days ahead if that's more convenient). To remove the pops, first remove the lids, then squeeze the sides of the mold, twisting them slightly, to dislodge the pop. (If necessary, rinse the molds under hot water first). These look festive and fun set out for your friends in a chilled bowl, all the sticks poking up.

34 comments:

  1. This is something to thrill the thirst! I like the one you filled in the long plastic bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour and I know, for sure, my kid would love it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel like relishing some, looks super refreshing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mango is one of my favorite flavors and I have a major weakness for popsicles/paletas. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. want to grab one.. it is hot here :)
    Reshmi
    Noel collections

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mango Popsicles, love to have one now, very nicely done, and I like the name, paletas..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious, more than molds I like the shape in plastic cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to use this idea for my upcoming kids party at home. They will love it !! thanks for posting this

    ReplyDelete
  9. i certainly love your mango paletas and also the ice cream potong!!also love the mango-y COLOUR!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fruit pop in long plastic as well as the one using stick to hold up one:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mango popsicles, so yummy!! ...sorry, paletas!! I watched Rick Bayless on a reality cooking show before, that man's good! :)
    Sorry I haven't been commenting on your posts as frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so cute & so delicious looking! i LOVEEE mango! I have a friend who is allergic to mango & i think that's just the saddest thing in the world! glad its not me :)
    xo,
    mini baker

    ReplyDelete
  13. My girls are crazy for mango and ice cream.
    Perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious!
    Love this
    http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yum! Mango sounds like a perfect choice for ths treat. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  16. eileen@hundred eighty degreesFriday, April 13, 2012

    Set! I will try this..since I have 'plenty of mangoes in the fridge, and at the same time can try out the popiscle mould bought a year ago. Sounds like killing 2birds with 1 stone...:) Actually yours look too tempted to resist..weather is getting very hot..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun! Those mango fruit pops sound tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Joyce, I've learned a new word today! Eating iced pops from the long plastic bags was once I used to do when I was young! Ah, it has brought back so much of good memories to me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. yum! We can't get enough paletas in the hot months - ESPECIALLY mango! Beautiful job :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will have to make these when it gets scorching hot here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look refreshing and yummy!Hugs from Greece,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want I want, sound refreshing and cool..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi friends,
    Thank you for stopping by and your lovely comments! Wish everyone a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love paletas - they're so refreshing - and mango is one of my favorite flavors :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful! I'd be thrilled to come home to those too. Great idea using the plastic bag moulds.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mango paletas are my favorite. There is a local company here that makes a mango-habanero paleta that I just love. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are very good at making cold desserts, love this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I see paletas in our future...all summer long!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look great and I adore mangoes...perfect warm weather treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved what you did with the plasic bags! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum! Mango paletas are a warm weather favorite at our house! Yours look absolutely refreshing and delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete