Sunday, April 8, 2012

JO's Bacon and Mushroom Cream

I cooked this a couple of weeks ago when my daughter requested for some pasta with creamy sauce. This recipe, from "Jamie's Food Revolution" immediately came to mind as I have been meaning to make this for quite some time. A simple recipe which does not call for a long list of ingredients and quick to put together. Jamie uses Portebello mushrooms, but I used a mixture of fresh Shiitake mushrooms and Oyster mushrooms. 


Bacon makes everything tastes better! I sauteed the garlic and the bacon together, even though garlic is not used in the recipe, but I like the aroma of stir-fried garlic, especially with the bacon, smells even nicer! This recipe does not use any other liquid other than cream fraiche or heavy cream. But since I intend to have this together with pasta, I added in about 1-1/2 cups of homemade chicken stock and additional cream for gravy. It's all up to individual taste, I did not follow the measurements exactly, just taste and adjust as you cook.


These mushrooms would release a little of their own juices during cooking. 


A bowl of creamy Bacon and Mushroom Cream is good on its own. 


This would be lovely with some homemade crusty bread!


Bacon and Mushroom Cream with spaghetti. My kids enjoyed this for their afternoon lunch.

I'm sharing this with :


Bacon and Mushroom Cream
(adapted from "Jamie's Food Revolution" by Jamie Oliver)
olive oil
4 slices of smoked bacon, preferably free-range or organic
1/2 -1 fresh red chile, to your taste
1/2 pound portobello mushrooms
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
sea salt and freshly grated ground black pepper
1/3 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream
1-1/2 cup chicken stock (my addition)


Put a large pan on a medium heat and add a good lug of olive oil. 
Slice the bacon into small pieces and add to the pan.
Fry for a couple of minutes until golden  and crispy.
While the bacon is cooking, seed and finely slice the chile, thinly slice the mushroom, and pick the thyme leaves off the stalks.
Add the chile, mushrooms, and thyme leaves and continue to fry for a couple of minutes. 
Season carefully with salt and pepper.
Add the creme fraiche, bring the sauce to a boil, and let it bubble and simmer for a minute or so.
Serve  hot, to top a piece of fish, like skate, or with some roast chicken, or stir into hot cooked pasta.

34 comments:

  1. What a beautiful soup and spaghetti. Just gorgeous. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this is awesome dear....luv bacon and mushrooms...need to try this....thnks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are a thing of beauty! I love spaghetti this way - thanks for the nudge - I need to pick up Jamie Oliver's cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I sure love this! Have always loved bacon. Especially bacon and eggs breakfast, done over easy.
    You sure know how to make one hungry looking at this dish.
    Well done....
    Have a nice day.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep coming across bacon recipes this morning and it's making me so hungry! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. eileen@hundred eighty degreesSunday, April 08, 2012

    I am sure I will love this. One bowl please....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anything with mushroom. A very appetizing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want some for the dinner! A comforting soup is always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, I absolutely love Jamie Oliver's recipes!! And I agree, bacon makes everything taste nicer ;) I haven't seen this recipe before, definitely keeping it to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Easter Day to you & your family!Kisses from Greece,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can just imagine the taste; looks wonderful. Happy Easter to you and your family Joyce.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  12. This photographed so well and looks SO good! What a good idea putting it over spaghetti :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love that bacon and mushroom cream with some crusty bread. Happy Easter Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my heaven's, Joyce. Your creation looks amazing!!! And, I'm stuffed from dinner, lol...

    I am so saving this! Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that bacon and mushroom cream. It looks so creamy - I feel like slurping ....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Easter Joyce!
    I must make tis! Our favourite! The added bacon will be perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wahhh looks delicious! creamy and rich! u-know-who 'john wayne a.k.a cowboy' will SURELY love this!!!! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice on a cold wet day, a bowl of that in front of me would be so lovely now:D It's wet and cold right now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks delicious....creamy and divine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would love to have this yummy cream with rice..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh dear, you had me drooling here. Who could resist such a hearty meal.
    Hope you're having a great week ahead.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of my sons favorite combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this looks good, nice to be with pasta, bread and even meat. Great dish, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your Bacon and Mushroom Cream looks so creamy and rich. We would really enjoy this recipe. Hope you have a wonderful week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  25. That does look like a beautiful cream sauce for pasta! I love Jamie's pasta carbonara too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Joyce this creamy sauce looks wonderful - bacon & mushroom is a pretty hard combination to beat. I can well imagine this with roast chicken or pasta, and I can definitely see this being a real crowd pleaser - especially with children.

    Thanks for sharing this at Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't eat bacon but this does look wonderful! Beautiful looking pasta dish!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have read that we know very little about mushrooms compared to some other foods. So I am sure there are tons of benefits that we have not even discovered yet. psilocybe cubensis syringe

    ReplyDelete