Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kai Yat Sai (Stuffed Omelette)

There are days when I looked through my many cookbooks, and there are dozens of recipes that I would love to try all at once, well at least at that very moment! And there are days when I am at wits end about what to prepare for dinner! This is one of those days that my mind just went blank when it comes to the menu for dinner! I have some chicken meat in my freezer and it is a little too late to thaw them, so that leaves me with about less than a cup of minced pork which I thawed the day before in my refrigerator and still have no idea what I am going to do with it!

So, cookbook to the rescue! I began browsing for some recipes and found this, perfect! Kai Yat Sai (stuffed omelette) is a simple Thai egg dish that I'm sure my kids will love. Besides I have all the ingredients on hand. I have made a similar stuffed omelette using prawns before, one of my older post, here, and I know that they will definitely love this as well.


A simple, easy and quick dish to make. 


The filling is made up of minced meat, frozen vegetables (peas, carrots and corns), chopped garlic, chopped onions and tomatoes, season with fish sauce and ground black pepper. I made 4 separate servings, one egg per serving. Beat one egg lightly, season with a little soy sauce, fry in lightly oiled saucepan in a thin layer, coating the base of the saucepan with the eggs over gentle heat until the omelette is cooked. Place some filling in the centre of the cooked omelette.



Fold the omelette into a parcel with the filling inside. Fry for a minute more, and scoop to a serving plate. You could make a big omelette parcel at one go, but I think the kids would like a little individual parcel of their own.


My kids are certainly happy that they each have one parcel to themselves! Mommy knows best, right? :)


The filling can even be served on a piece of green veggie, like salad leaves or lettuce. You can actually add anything you want to the filling, like mushrooms, beans, bell peppers or just about anything.



Make some of this for your kids, and see their delight when served with a parcel at meal time! Enjoy!


I'm sharing this with :
Cookbook Sunday hosted by Couscous & Consciousness
Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage


Kai Yat Sai (Stuffed Omelette)
(source from : Stylish Thai in Minutes by Vatcharin Bhumichitr)
1 tablespoon oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
110gm minced pork
50gm onions, finely chopped
50gm carrots, finely diced
50gm green peas
1 tomato, finely diced
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
pinch of ground black pepper

For the omelette :
2 eggs
1 tablespoon oil

Heat the oil and fry the garlic until golden brown. Add the minced pork, stirring well. Add all the remaining ingredients in succession, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and set aside.

To make the omelette, beat the eggs. In a wok, heat the oil, turning the wok so that the oil coats the entire inner surface. Pour in the eggs and turn to spread evenly. When the egg has cooked, pour the pork filling into the centre. Fold in the sides of the omelette to make a square parcel. Cook for a moment longer, then lift carefully onto a dish to serve.

25 comments:

  1. This reminds a lots of omu rice but of course without the rice and plus lots of Thai flavours. My family will love to eat this... Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good! I'll definitely try this for my picky little one, the parcel will surely tempt kids! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! My family love this in fact:D You wrapped yours so well! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, they sure look good and cute too! What a great way to get goodness "stuffed" inside the grandkids, a sure keeper, Joyce!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Estupendos omelette muy tentadores absolutamente bellos y contundentes,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh now I know the Thai name for nasi Pattaya.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow..this looks so tempting..wonderful recipe!!
    Spicy-Aroma

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love eggs for dinner around here. :) These omelets look so good, and I know everyone would love the individual servings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a simple yet filling dish. Your pics always come out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at the filling, it is delicious! Like to have this for dinner too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay I like this.. we don't eat pork so will substitute with chicken... nice clicks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow perfect..you know who will only eat this with rice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum yum,stuffed omelette makes me hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that looks amazing! I'm definitely going to have to brush up on my omelette making skills . :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want it now! haha! do you think the courier guy will accept this special 'parcel' for delivery to me? LOL!this is a cute idea..bring the parcel on the table and ask the kids to guess what's inside!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a beautiful Omelette, I just love the combination of ingredients for the recipe. Hope you have a wonderful Easter Celebration and thank you so much for sharing at Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your omelette is delicate and delicious-looking.
    The proposal for the filling is fantastic
    kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is simple and tasty. My son sat beside me, he said....mummy make for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. yum yum, wat a super tempting recipe dear.
    maha

    ReplyDelete
  20. love omelette and this look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Visiting from Cookbook Sundays, what a gorgeous dish your stuffed omelette is! I love the little parcel shape and bet my picky husband and kids would really enjoy this recipe, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love these, Joyce. The stuffed omelette is often one of my favourite choices when we go to a Thai restaurant, but I've never thought to make it at home.

    Thanks for the inspiration and thanks for sharing at Cookbook Sundays.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the recipe. When I lived in Thailand, this omelette was always served over rice, but interestingly no recipe I find calls for this.

    ReplyDelete