Monday, November 11, 2013

Chicken and Leek Pot Pie : IHCC

"Are You Calling Me A Tart?", the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are currently cooking from Donna Hay's recipes. This week is all about tarts and pies, sweet or savoury. So for this week's theme, my choice is Chicken and Leek Pot Pie, since it has been quite sometime since we had any chicken pie.


Using store-bought puff pastry definitely saves a lot of time. This is really quick and simple to make. I made half a recipe, and used 400gm minced chicken meat, as there are only three of us having this for lunch. Leeks are thinly sliced, sauteed with minced garlic until softened which takes about 5-6 minutes, then the minced chicken is added in, cooked for about 6-8 minutes, stirring and separate chicken minces until they are cooked through. A tablespoon of flour, some chicken stock, salt and pepper is added to taste. Cook until thickened, about 2 minutes and stir in chopped parsley. 

I have made these potpies into 4" ramekins for individual servings and got 4 servings. Divide the chicken filling evenly among the four ramekins. 



The puff pastry that I used is 4" square, so I have rolled it a little bigger so that it covers the top of the ramekin. Cut out a small hole in the centre for the steam to escape. Pinch the edges to seal, brush with egg wash and bake at a preheated oven 200C for 20-25 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden brown.


Serve warm. Delicious! The next time time when I make this, I'll add in more leeks. Very easy to make, and in less than an hour, you'll be enjoying this delicious pie!


Chicken and Leek Pot Pie
(adapted from donnahay.com)
50gm butter
200gm leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
700gm chicken mince
2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
1-3/4 cups (435ml) chicken stock
sea salt and cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
375gm store-bought puff pastry block, thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 200C (390F). Heat a deep-sided 2 litre-capacity, 20cm frying pan over medium heat. Add the butter, leek and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the leek is soft. Add the chicken, breaking any lumps with a wooden spoon, and cook for 6-8 minutes. Stir in the flour, add the stock, salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Stir through the parsley. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until 3mm thick. Use a sharp knife to cut out a 24-cm round and a small hole in the centre of the round. Place on top of the pie and press the edges to seal. Brush with egg and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Serves 4.



To see what my friends are making this week, drop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC).

IHCC Donna Hay Badge resized


And I'm sharing this with :


28 comments:

  1. U will not believe this... My stomach growled when I saw this.... Been a while since I had pies.... Now u r drawing me into this

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too.....I have not been baking pies for quite awhile now. It sure to be delicious because you baked yours looking so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estupendo pie se ve rico y bien hecho aplausos a la cocinera,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pie looks delicious, Joyce, and perfect for the type of weather we're having here now. I love that minced chicken is used instead of leftover cooked chicken and stock instead of cream.....makes for a lighter version than so many other recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! been a while since i last bake pies too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather is Sydney has suddenly plunged down to mid 10C, feel like winter is back again. Your pies will come just in time to welcome the change of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummmmm! This has to be delicious! It's snowing now and it would be perfect! Like DH too! Thanks for the recipe I will be trying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce , wish I could reach in the screen and take one , they are gorgeous , thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh your photo is amazing, now all I want is a chicken pot pie that looks exactly like this one. I guess I could make one now, couldn't I? I hope mine looks as good as yours. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm looks yummy! would love to have this for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Joyce the look of this pie looks awesome, the light puff pastry on the creamy chicken and leek just sounds perfect. I could have this at anytime…
    Have a great week and yes, I am back :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, I miss chicken pie! This looks quiet easy and I hope to give it a try sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy, I would love to dig into one of your chicken and leek pies! I love leeks and they work well in a pie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joyce, your pies look utterly delicious. That chicken and leek filling sounds wonderful, and your pastry looks so gorgeous and flaky. Sure wish I could come to your house for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joyce,
    This is like a pot pie that we always had in a cafe. Looks very appetitzing!!
    Would definitely make this for lunch tomorrow!!
    YUM!!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a perfect lunch dish! I love the height of that puff pastry crust and the filling ... tasty! It's chilliy and a bit snowy here today. Your little pot pies are looking very good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks wonderful! I love using puff pastry - so easy and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. its finally getting cold here and this is the perfect welcome dish to the fall/winter. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think chicken pot pie is one of the most warming and comforting things you can eat. Plus, my daughter loves them so that's a big plus! This one looks really easy to make and I think I actually prefer the puff pastry crust to the normal pie crust. The puff pastry puffs up so flaky and delicious. It's hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is perfect for the cold weather we are having and the puff pastry makes it easy enough to make. You always make the best food. Now, I am yearning for a pot pie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. pot pies are one of my faves ..great choice for this week's theme

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Joyce. This looks like it was much more work and took much more time! I like the use of puff pastry instead of traditional crust. Thank you for linking this delicious pie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Chicken pie with puff pastry , best choice! The pot pie looks so delicious, I've got to bake one for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love making pot pies. I usually use left overs from stew or something. Using puff pastry makes it look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Joyce, your pastry looks just fab - aren't chicken and leeks such good buddies! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks fabulous--chicken and leeks are a wonderful combination and you can't beat puff pastry! ;-)

    ReplyDelete