Friday, November 1, 2013

Kai Haw Bai Toey (Chicken Wrapped In Pandanus Leaf)

Kai Haw Bai Toey, which we usually called this dish simply as, Pandan Chicken, is a dish that I would often order when we eat out at Thai restaurants. Step into any Thai restaurants, chances are, you many expect to find this dish on most tables. This is a popular and delicious dish, and a favourite among adults and kids.

Pandanus leaves are used to wrap the marinated chicken fillet. These wonderful leaves act as both a wrapper and a flavouring in this dish. The aroma when the wrapped parcels are deep-fry in hot oil is just so fragrant. 


Kai Haw Bai Toey (Chicken Wrapped in Pandanus Leaf), all wrapped up and ready to be deep-fry.

Chicken breast fillet are first cut to small pieces. The roots of fresh coriander are used here, and some of the coriander stems as well. Coriander roots are a common ingredient that can be found in most Thai recipes, it really is very fragrant, even more so than the leaves. The roots and stems of the coriander, garlic, white pepper powder and salt are pounded in a pestle and mortar to a paste, which smells incredibly wonderful! Marinate the chicken pieces with the paste, keep covered in the refrigerator for a few hours, before wrapping. 

You will need large pandanus leaves for easier wrapping. Wrap one piece of chicken meat using the pandanus leave. I did not take any photo as there are nobody around, and it is not an easy task to wrap and photo-taking at the same time, with my messy hands! 


Deep-fry the wrapped pandanus chicken in hot oil about 7-10 minutes until chicken are cooked. Drain on paper towel.


Serve whole with the leaves still on, it will be a fun way of eating at the table, when everyone gets to remove their own pandanus leaves! And it is really fragrant!


The chicken meat is so fragrant with the coriander roots and aroma from the pandanus leaves. The family just love it! 


Kai Haw Bai Toey (Chicken Wrapped In Pandanus Leaf)
(adapted from "The Food Of Thailand")
5 coriander (cilantro) roots, cleaned and roughly chopped
4-5 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (I use 1/2 tsp)
600gm skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into 25 cubes
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1-1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
25 pandanus leaves, cleaned and dried
vegetable oil, for deep-frying
plum sauce, or chili sauce to serve

  1. Using a pestle and mortar or a small blender, pound or blend the coriander roots, garlic, white pepper and salt into a paste.
  2. In a bowl, combine the paste with the chicken, oyster sauce, sesame oil and flour. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
  3. Fold one of the pandanus leaves, bringing the base up in front of the tip, making a cup. Put a piece of chicken in the fold and, moving the bottom of the leaf, wrap it around to create a tie and enclose the chicken. Repeat until you have used all the chicken.
  4. Heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan over a medium heat.
  5. When the oil seems, hot, drop a small piece of leaf into it. If it sizzles immediately, the oil is ready. Lower some parcels into the oil and deep-fry for 7 to 10 minutes or until the parcels feel firm. Lift out with a slotten spoon and drain on paper towels. Keep the cooked ones warm while deep-frying the rest. Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with plum sauce or a chilli sauce.

Lena from frozen wings is hosting Asian Food Fest (Thailand) for this month, cook any food from Thailand and submit your post to Lena. Drop by Lena's for more info about joining in this delicious event.





" I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Thailand ) - November Month hosted by Lena of frozen wings

19 comments:

  1. I just know I want to join this event, Joyce. I will definitely try as I told Lena too:) Thai food is a favorite of mine. I've been enjoying it for so long and not once have I ever made anything at home. I will try:)

    I hope I can find pandanus leaves in my grocery. I would love to add this dish to the list of Thai food I would like to make myself. It's so unique and I bet it tastes delicious!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Joyce. Your description of the fragrance was making me hungry, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce
    It sure to be full of fragrance....and a very tasty dish. Love to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pandan chicken, this looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a lovely dish... i have some extra pandan leaves at home. but cooking ah... hmmm... heh heh.. pass ah... i rather have an expert like you cook for moi wooot ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look lipsmackingly delicious, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Joyce, i'm so bad, i thought this is a nyonya dish as I have seen this frpm a few friend's blogs b4. This dish must be so full of flavour. I was just thinking abt this dish(a simplier version) a few nights ago, hahaha, coz this year my inlaws will come to my house for x'mas celebration & i want to do a malaysian theme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this - the pandan really gives a lovely fragrance to the chicken. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, sedap nya and wanginya..bila can taste?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure smell heavenly with the herbs and pandan leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, this is one of my favourite dishes that I usually order whenever I eat Thai food outside. You made it look so easy to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi joyce, i made this too...you know lazy me hvnt even drafted the post yet..the pandan leaves that i got was of average size...so not too bad. You got them nicely wrapped! thx for your support yaa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like such a fun and delicious meal! My family would love to unwrap their dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joyce,
    This a favorite dish in our house too.
    You wrapped your pandan chicken so nice and neatly.
    I would love to try our your recipe :)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes i love that... especially wrapped with pandan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sus envueltos de pollo están maravillosos y original una comida buenísima,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joyce, this is one of my favorites at the Thai restaurant too! But I find it just too troublesome to cook at home. Lazy me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If only I can get hold of pandan leaves right now *sigh* :D I just can imagine the aroma and the flavor as you unwrapped those tasty morsels .

    ReplyDelete