Thursday, November 7, 2013

Seeds and Coconut Oatmeal Crisps

These cookies are full of nuts, seeds, oats and coconut flakes. There is no flour in the recipe. Yup, that's right, no flour at all.


The seeds and nuts can be varied to whatever you have in your panty. I have replaced the flax seeds with sunflower seeds, and have used walnuts in place of the pecans. According to the book, toasted wheat germ that is sold in bottles, has a nice nutty flavour and crunchier texture. I have however use the regular wheat germ, toasted them till light brown. And as usual, I have reduced the sugar slightly.


For chewy cookies, bake them about 10-12 minutes, and longer for crispier cookies.


I baked these cookies till they are really brown and crisp. These are rather addictive, very crispy and fragrant from all the different textures of the ingredients. But these cookies stay crispy on the day they are baked, on the next day, they became chewy. Though I do not mind eating them chewy, as it is like eating a flatter version of muesli bars! Very nice! 


Seeds and Coconut Oatmeal Crisps
(adapted from : "Bake Something Great", Jill Snider)
Makes about 2-1/2 dozens cookies
2 eggs
1 cup packed brown sugar (I use scant 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I use walnuts)
1/4 cup wheat germ (toasted till light brown)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
3 tbsp flax seeds (I replaced with pumpkin seeds)

Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
Cookie sheet, greased or lined with parchment paper
  1. In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, beat eggs, brown sugar, oil and vanilla until blended. Stir in oats, coconut, pecans, wheat germ, and sesame, sunflower and flax seeds. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
  2. Drop dough by tablespoons (15ml) about 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Using an offset spatula or the back of a spoon, press until thin and flat. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes for chewy cookies until golden around the edges or 14 minutes for crisp cookies, until golden overall. Cool for 10 minutes on sheet, then transfer to a rack and cool completely. 

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up, organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids and Doreen from My Little Favourite D.I.Y, hosted by Vivian from Vivian Pang's Kitchen

Photobucket


I'm sharing this post with :

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

20 comments:

  1. Looks yummy and very healthy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hungry now... yum yum :-P Btw, kitchen flavours, the sweetened flaked coconut is expensive right? I I remember seeing it selling at Grocer, quite ex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these cookies are packed with goodies. Sure to be yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these reminds me of those homemade chewy bars that we grab and go... just like what you said... flatter version of muesli slice... i'm gonna love these

    ReplyDelete
  5. These coconut crisps look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such crispy crisps, can i have one piece?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coconut crisps sound yummy! Is a great recipe to clear stuff from pantry too :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these crunchies and they can addictive too, in fact, very!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply awesome looking crisps. Looks great.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely treat - it reminds me of a seed bar I used to eat many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Realmente una delicia me gustaría probar se ven muy saludables,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely cookies , I am at the door pass me a few , thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joyce , I've seen wheat germ here but it looks golden brown already but will check it out again next time :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce,
    A healthy cookie. Love the crispy and fragrant from all the different textures of the ingredients.
    Thanks for sharing this to LTU.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are some well packed cookies, Joyce! I need all the healthy goodness I can get these days. I've been on a junk food kick for weeks now:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the crisp!! I'm Imagining the fragrant from the coconut, sunflower and sesame seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. morning joyce, seeing this reminds me of the tuiles that we made! love the loads of seeds and nuts in it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joyce, this is definitely addictive! How not to resist? Hee...hee...

    ReplyDelete