Monday, November 18, 2013

Lemony Chicken with Fresh Coriander : IHCC Potluck

"November Potluck" is this week's theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are currently cooking from Donna Hay's recipes. For this monthly Potluck theme, we are however, free to select any recipes from our previous featured chefs, and for this week, I'm cooking with Madhur Jaffrey.

Are you a fan of fresh corianders? I am. I really like eating this herb veggie, either used in cooking or fresh as a garnish, which I would usually use heaps of it. So when I saw this recipe of Madhur Jafrrey's, using fresh corianders, and lots of it, I knew that I just had to make this dish! Especially so when I read an excerpt from the recipe that says : 

"Taken from the expanded new edition of her classic best-selling book, Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking, this is the recipe that Jaffrey says took the spice out of a major city in England. As she explains it : "My new book was first published in England, by the BBC. Shortly after it came out, The Manchester Guardian ran a story which said that the city had run out of fresh spices : Everyone was making Lemony Chicken with Coriander"! 

Curiosity got the better of me, and I just had to try this popular dish!


Lemony Chicken with Fresh Corianders


A big bunch of coriander leaves and tender stems goes into the dish.


The roots with the bottom stems stills attached, do not waste these! These can be frozen, wash them clean thoroughly, dry them and place in a zip-lock bag, keep in the freezer. Great for Thai recipes, which uses these extremely fragrant roots in many of the recipes. I have one Thai recipe which I've wanted to try, and these will come in handy!


This is a fairly easy dish to prepare. Chicken pieces are browned in a little oil and kept aside. Minced garlic are sauteed till light brown, add the ginger paste, stir and add in the chopped corianders, cumin powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, chopped jalapeno, salt and stir for a minute. The fragrance of the coriander and the spices are extremely aromatic at this point. Add in the chicken pieces, some water and lemon juice to taste. Stir, bring to boil, cover pan, turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, turn chicken pieces over and simmer for another 15 minutes. 

Note : I have however used a little extra of all the spices, like I always do, as I love dishes like this with bold flavours and usually with a little more sauce or gravy.



The dish should be fairly dry with the chicken pieces coated with the coriander sauce.

Very nice eaten with white rice. This is a fairly mild dish, the amount of chiili or cayenne powder can be increased for a spicier dish. The next time when I make this again, I would skip the frying of the chicken and cooked it directly into the sauce instead, it's just that I prefer the chicken meat to be more tender and soaked up all the flavours from the spices. And yes, this is one dish that I would make again.


Lemony Chicken with Fresh Coriander
(adapted from here)
2 - 1" cubes fresh ginger root, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup water
2/3 cup water
1135gm chicken breasts - skinned (half a chicken + 2 drumsticks)
5 cloves garlic, minced
200gm cilantro, minced (250gm)
1/2 jalapeno, minced (1 whole jalapeno)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (1/2 tsp chilli powder)
2 teaspoons cumin powder (3 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon coriander powder (1-1/2 teaspoons)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (3/4 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice (juice from half a lemon)

Put the ginger and 1/4 cup water into a blender or processor. Blend until you have a paste.

Put the oil in a wide, heavy, preferably nonstick pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, put in as many chicken pieces as pan will hold in a single layer, and brown on both sides. Remove the chicken pieces with a slotted spoon and put them in a bowl. Brown all the chicken pieces this way.

Add the garlic to the hot oil. As soon as the pieces turn a medium-brown colour, turn heat to medium and pour in the ginger paste. Stir-fry it for a minute. Now add the fresh coriander, jalapeno, cayenne, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and salt. Stir and cook for a minute.

Put in all the chicken pieces as well as any liquid that might have accumulated in the chicken bowl. Add 2/3 cup water and the lemon juice. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover tightly, turn heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes.

Turn the chicken pieces over. Cover again and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is tender. If the sauce is too thin, uncover the pan and boil some of it away over a slightly higher heat.

********

This post is linked to I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). Do drop by IHCC to see what my friends are cooking for this week's Potluck Theme.


And I'm sharing this with :


24 comments:

  1. slow down slow down.. u r too fast for me... aahhh.... just love all your chicken dishes! cannot dish them out in time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce
    With your posting of dishes and your bakes, I can see that you are an excellent cook. All your dishes looking very delicious and inviting. Your family must be very blessed having you to cook new dishes for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, will certainly prefer your future method of cooking. Make it like a stir-fry dish. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lemon with chicken - or with anything - so this dish looks like a winner to me. I have this book.....I don't know how I missed this recipe but it's one I definitely want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce , what a delicious dish , another way for me to dry up chicken , thans for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always on the lookout for chicken recipes and this one sounds great. Thanks and have a good week, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This lemon chicken with all those herbs and spices looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce, this is the kind of flavors that I like…lemon and cilantro…sounds and looks so tasty!
    Unfortunately the cilantro that I but here do not have the roots…i know exactly what you mean by saving it…
    Have a wonderful week my dear :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummm, looks very inviting and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, I love lots and lots of coriander too! So this is a dish that I would be happy to cook. Thanks for the tip on freezing the coriander roots. I threw some away last weekend :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. This chicken dish must be so flavourful with all that coriander in them. Looks very yummy & delicious

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have chicken quite a bit at our house. I like the flavors lemon imparts when cooking with them whether you are pairig them with fish or chicken. Great menu here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you always use extra spices! I also like your tip for not wasting the roots. Spicy and practical!
    Thank you for coming by and linking, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm.... I wanna try this. Looks sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm...I smell lovely coriander chicken. Joyce, I here to join you. I love, love coriander.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joyce this dish looks wonderful. I love that you revisited Madhur Jaffrey this week and that you increased all the spices. Great tip for saving the coriander roots too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like coriander, usually put them in the soup as a final touch. Good to know a new way of cooking chicken with a bunch of fresh coriander. Your dish looks flavourful. Recipe bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love this dish! Will bookmark for the next time I get the urge for Indian ... what type of vegetable side might you make to accompany this dish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      I had this with steam white rice and some stir-fried cabbages. I love eating stir-fried cabbages with Indian curry dish!

      Delete
  19. Love her recipes, and this looks like a really good one. Nice process photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so love my coriander/cilantro. ;-) That sauce looks fabulous--especially good to have the rice to soak it all up with. Madhur is always a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I must say the description of this dish from the Manchester Guardian really sells it for sure! I am a big fan of MJ's chicken dishes and so is my family. I'm going to pin this one because it just looks fabulous! I have never used the roots of the coriander, but I have read about it and everyone says there is more flavor in the root. Apparently I have been missing out and need to use the root more in my cooking.

    Love that you add extra spices to your dishes. I do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never had fresh coriander but you are convincing me that this has to change. A wonderful chicken dish.

    ReplyDelete