Saturday, November 9, 2013

Gaeran Mari (Korean Rolled Egg Omelette)

I made these Gaeran Mari (Korean Rolled Egg Omelette) for dinner, as one of the dishes to eat with rice. Very simple and easy dish to prepare. It is an onion and carrot omelette rolled with a sheet of roasted Korean seaweed. We love eating roasted Korean seaweed as a snack, especially the kids, though we do not eat it that often as most of the ready-to-eat roasted seaweed are rather salty.


Carrots and onions are chopped finely and mixed into the beaten eggs. Recipe says to use 1 tsp of salt for 3 eggs, which I think is way too much! I have used only about 1/8 tsp, adjust according to your taste. The omelette is cooked over very low heat, and when it is almost set, place the sheet of roasted seaweed over the omelette. The recipe says to roll it in the saucepan with the help of a spatula, but my omelette is a little too thick, oops... making it difficult to roll. So I have slide the cooked omelette onto a cutting board,  and then roll it. Be careful, as the omelette is very hot. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, slice to 1" slices and serve.

If you are making this, you might want to cook the omelette in two batches for a thinner layer, so that it is easier to roll them up.


It looks very nice when arranged on a plate. Makes a nice change from the regular omelette. The roasted seaweed has softened from the heat of the omelette, but it is still very good.

Gaeran Mari (Korean Rolled Egg Omelette)
(source from : koreanfood.com)
3 eggs
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 small carrot, finely chopped
1 sheet Korean Roasted Seaweed (Gim)
1 tsp salt (I use 1/8 tsp)
dash of pepper

  1. Mix eggs, with whisk or fork, and add onion and carrots until well combined.
  2. In a lightly greased saute pan, pour egg mixture and heat slowly over low heat.
  3. Heat slowly for a few minutes until almost cooked through, then place seaweed sheet on top of omelette.
  4. Roll omelette into a tight roll by lifting side with spoon or baking spatula.
  5. Let omelette rest for a few minutes to cool.
  6. Slice into 1 inch pieces and serve.


I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #37 : Korean - Feast of Hansik (Nov 2013) hosted by Grace of Life Can Be Simple




20 comments:

  1. Mmm, so tasty ! Wish I am at your dinning table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed it look nice and presentable on the plate; look so easy to cook too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggs are so versatile, you certainly prepared a very creative dish here. Healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Se ven muy deliciosas su relleno me encanta linda presentación.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look very tasty and appetizing, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not knowning Korea has such egg rolls. Love that it contents vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce , I can just taste them , thanks for sharings:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce,
    Yum! Yum!
    My kids would love this kind of egg dish. Can Aunty Joyce pass a few pieces over .. LoL
    Have a wonderful Sunday:)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, nice korea food ya! Give me some please :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not really into Korean food but this I know I will like because I love eggs:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so ready for Korean now ! Rubbing hands gleefully!,!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This omelette is very different from the chinese style and sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. a very attractive pretty egg dish! at least this is easier than making tamagoyaki :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My eleven year old niece just told me she LOVES seaweed. I'll have to make this for her soon! I'll win some major auntie points ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joyce, what a fancy and tasty omelette!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joyce, this snack looks so simple but yet pretty to the eyes. I haven't made this before and I'm already thinking it might be a feat to roll up the omelette. Anyhow, bookmarking this! Thanks for linking up with AB!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce, this reminds me of my lunch boxes my mom used to make for me in Korea. Gaeran mari is one of the common items in Korean lunch box =). If you want to learn more about Korean food, check out my Korean cooking show HungryGopher at www.youtube.com/hungrygopher

    ReplyDelete