Saturday, June 8, 2013

Apple Fritters : IHCC

"Something Sweet", our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are currently cooking from our featured chef's recipes, Yotam Ottolenghi, until September. Since we are having a two-week school holiday break, I have been making some snacks on some afternoons and have chosen YO's apple fritters for one of our afternoons tea-time munch.

According to YO, the recipe was obtained from Yammi's (his partner) friend's mother. And just like he says, this is sweet, sour and comforting. 



I like it that there isn't any sugar used for the batter, but I did make a few changes. Firstly, the batter is really thick, I supposed it was meant to be thick. I fried a few pieces to test and find that I prefer the fritters to be more on the lighter and softer side. So I have added in another half cup of milk to the batter and another half teaspoon of baking powder along with a pinch of salt. The fritters came out better and it was soft and very nice. 

I've made only half a recipe for the sugar and cinnamon mixture, and it actually is enough for one  full recipe of the fritters, with a couple of tablespoons left of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. 


I have used 3 small Gala apples.



Lovely fritters. They may look very sweet with all the sugar coating on the outside, but these are not overly sweet at all, because there is no sugar in the batter. The cinnamon-sugar coating on the outside is very fragrant and with just the right amount of sweetness, with the slight sourness from the apples and sweet sultanas. These fritters are a total winner with the kids! And me too!  My son, after munching on the first fritters, asked me, "Where's the tea? This is very nice with a cup of tea"!!!  OK, son, one pot of hot tea coming right up! And he's right, this is wonderful with a cup of warm tea!



IHCC Ottolenghi Leek
Badge resized


Please do stop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) to view what my friends have made for the theme of this week, "Something Sweet", and if you are interested to join us, please find out more details from IHCC.

I'm sharing this with :


Yolanda's Apple Fritters
(source from here, Yotam Ottolenghi)
Serves 2-4
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk (used in total 1 cup)
2 eating apples, peeled and chopped
a handful of sultanas, about 40gm
1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
grated zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking powder (used in total 1-1/2 tsp)
2 cups plain flour

Mix in a plate :
1 cup caster sugar (used 1/2 cup)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon (used 1/2 tbsp)
vegetable oil for deep-frying

In  a bowl, mix all the ingredients well, apart from the sugar and cinnamon and set aside for 20 minutes. In a separate flat plate, mix the sugar and cinnamon.

Heat the vegetable oil well. When hot, use two spoons to drop dollops of the mix into the hot oil, turning them frequently, until golden. Lift the fritters from the oil onto kitchen paper. While they are still hot, roll them in  the sugar and cinnamon mix. Eat at once.

22 comments:

  1. Ha ! I just love apple fritters (as banana fritters !) but I'm scared about boiling oil ... I'm stupid, don't you think ?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Apple Fritters look delicious! My daughter loves apple anything so I am always on the look out for good apple recipes! We will have to try these out. (I am allergic to apples so unfortunately I can't try it but she will love them).
    Stopping by via Full Plate Thursday. http://www.easylifemealandpartyplanning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce these apple fritters look really amazing!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm..reminds me of donuts. eh..you sound like a maid to your son! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were my favorite fritters growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing like a homemade fritter, and I love to hear that these aren't too sweet. Thank you so much for sharing them with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comSaturday, June 08, 2013

    This is something interesting n yummy. Would like to give this a try. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, Joyce, these fritters sound amazing - apples, raisins, fennel and lemon just sounds like the most wonderful flavour combination, and I like that there is not too much sweetness going on. I definitely need to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, these sound so delicious! I really do need to get a deep fryer to do these kind of snacks....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! apple fritters sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce , I've had banana fritters but not apple ! They look pretty delicious and love how crispy the batter is !

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look AMAZING !!
    My non used to make something similar and I loved it
    Thanks you for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would be tempted to sell my soul for a warm little fritter like these! ;-) They look so wonderful and I love that they are not overly sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joyce, these apple fritters sound delicious especially with cinnamon and sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never had apple fritters with fennel seeds - but I know that anything from Ottolenghi must be amazing. definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your apple fritter looks so yummy to me. Something new to me actually. Who's care? As long as it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look delicious! You can't go wrong with fried food, especially if it involves apples and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really appreciate how you altered the recipe to suit your tastes. That is a sign of a good cook who knows exactly what she/he likes! I must say, I've really been craving an apple fritter lately and these look perfect:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stop it! I certainly want to be coming round to your place for afternoon snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. your version of the fritters look so nice and airy and with the cinnamon sugar must have been so delicious

    ReplyDelete