Thursday, June 20, 2013

THB : Cranberry-Pecan-Orange Coffee Cake

It's time for our bake at The Home Bakers (THB). This is our bake #20. We have already baked a third of the total recipes from this book, we started in April 2012, and that is a little over a year ago.  Thank you fellow bakers, for keeping up with the bakes at THB! 

Our bake for this week, Cranberry-Pecan-Orange Coffee Cake  is chosen by Maria of Box Of Stolen Socks, and this is another lovely recipe.  


I had a slice while still warm, yum!


This cake is baked in a tart pan, so it is actually just as high as the pan. I have used frozen cranberries for the batter. For the pecans, I have used it only for the topping, omitting it from the batter as I do not want a very nutty cake. The streusel top is made up of flour, butter and sugar. As usual, I have reduced the sugar for the batter from 1/2 cup to a scant 1/3 cup, and for the streusel only 2 tablespoons from the original 1/4 cup.  

Another interesting ingredient is frozen orange juice concentrate. I have seen lots of other recipes using this ingredient, and have not seen the frozen ones before. So I have used Sunkist Orange Juice Concentrate (sold in bottles), I guess that they must be same. Both are orange juice concentrate.  :)


I would prefer the streusel to be more brown in colour, but the top of the cake was already brown and the cake was done.  Rather than overbaked the cake, I removed it from the oven.


This cake has a light texture. It is not as moist as other cakes that I've baked from this book, but it is definitely not dry either. The first bite would first give you that crispy lovely topping, yes, even though the colour of the streusel is rather pale, it is so crispy and yummy! And the pecans are deliciously nutty. Next you would get the light orangy texture of the cake and the tangy cranberries! Those cranberries are really tangy! A slice of this lovely cake would give you sweetness from the streusel, nuttiness from the pecans, sourness from the cranberries and the light orangy flavour from the cake. The cake is a little crumbly the next day, but it still tastes great.


Another keeper recipe. A slice is perfect with a cup of warm tea.


For the full recipe, please visit Maria of Box Of Stolen Socks and to view other members' bake, drop by The Home Bakers (THB).



Welcome to The Home Bakers


We are a group of home bakers who are currently baking from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas, until each recipe from this book has been baked. This is our bake no. 20 and we have 40 recipes more to go. If you are interested to be a member and join in our bakes, you may drop me an email at kitchenflavours@yahoo.com.

#55/100

21 comments:

  1. Indeed this cake looks moist and not dry at all. I will attempt this very very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great for snacking and breakfast! Love the color of the cranberries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the colours of cranberries, this cake just looks like pie to me! so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an unusual and lovely recipe! Thank you for sharing it. I just love cranberries so I'm sure this would be a winner at my house. I hope you have a blessed end to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love a slice of this cake too! Looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce,

    This recipe is great! I reckon that this is the best THB cake that I ever baked! *BIG SMILE*

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce! I loved this recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So colourful and looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce , I just checked our local lib online catalog but no listing of that book :P.....The cake looks great ! Loads of wonderful flavors and textures in that yummy cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen a few versions of this cake now and am feeling very tempted to make one myself. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce look absolutely delicious!

    I wanna participate in Cook your books but I think will be the next recipe because that I m posting I dont have idea where I find:)) but the next yes.!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks absolutely delicious!!

    I will look into how to participate....this looks like fun.

    Blessings dearest. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love to have a huge slice..stunning cake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cake looks lovely & I love this recipe too. I've added cherries in mine instead of cranberries . YUMMY! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake looks lovely!! I enjoyed making... and eating it... very much! It was so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cake looks so good Joyce, I wish I could nibble on it right now, for some reason I'm terribly hungry tonight, for a snack that is:)

    I never make streusel the right way. Most likely I would have left it in the oven and burned the entire cake! I wonder if it had something to do with the size of the pan. How could the topping have enough time to brown in such a shallow pan?

    I think it looks delicious and I'm sure eating it while still warm was a baking bonus!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce, I love the contrasting colours! From your description of the cake, I am sold!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sedapnya..kalu ada lagi, besok bawak.

    ReplyDelete
  19. just came over from zoe's blog and i might follow her to use orange juice instead of concentrate..i dont hv those concentrate at home..

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an unusual and lovely recipe! Thank you for sharing it. I just love cranberries so I'm sure this would be a winner at my house. I hope you have a blessed end to your week !

    Regards
    Finn Felton

    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks nice in a tart pan too - love those pecans on top.

    ReplyDelete