Thursday, June 6, 2013

Classic Butter Crust Bread

The thought of having some plain white bread with homemade jam for a simple nice breakfast, finds me looking for a simple, fuss-free white bread that is very easy and quick to make. Of course, for quick and easy bread, I always find myself reaching out to one of my favourite bread machine books, "The Artisan Bread Machine". And again, this recipe from Judith Fertig is a winner. This book never fails to amaze me with the recipes that I've tried. They have all turned out great and this is one of them.


The recipe is meant for the bread machine, from the mixing right up to the baking. But I have always prefer to finish the baking in the oven, as I hate to have the bread machine paddle stuck into the otherwise perfect looking bread! So for this, I have done what I usually do, mix the dough using the bread machine, remove the dough after the first rising, shape it and leave it to rise in a greased loaf pan, and proceed with the baking in the oven. 


This is one lovely bread. It has a soft crust and the bread texture is so, so soft and very tasty, good enough to eat it on its own. The only changes I've made was to replace the buttermilk with full cream milk, and to reduce the salt slightly to 1 teaspoon (original is 1-1/2 teaspoon). 


Can you see how soft and moist this bread is?  Perfect when you need some plain simple white bread that is a breeze to make. It stays soft on the next day, and I finished the last two pieces on the third day, and it stays just as soft. Very nice eaten with homemade jam. A definite keeper recipe. Make one today, you would be glad you did! 


Classic Butter Crust Bread
(adapted from "The Artisan Bread Machine", Judith Fertig)
Makes one 1-1/2 lb (750gm) loaf
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt (I use 1 tsp)
1 cup lukewarm buttermilk (I use milk)
3 tbsp butter, softened
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I use bread flour)
1-1/2 tsp instant or bread machine yeast

Topping
2 tbsp butter, melted

To make in the bread machine
Add sugar, salt, buttermilk and butter to the bread pan. Spoon flour on top of liquid. Add yeast.
Select the Basic/White Cycle and the Light Crust setting and press Start.
Topping : After the final rise and just before baking, press Pause. Raise the lid, cut a 1/2-inch (1 cm) slash down the length or across the top of the loaf and brush with melted butter. Close the lid and press Start to continue the Cycle.

Kitchen Flavours notes :
To bake in the oven : Place sugar, salt, milk and butter to the bread pan. Spoon flour on top of liquid. Add yeast. Select Basic Dough Cycle, press Start. (which takes 1 hours 35 minutes inclusive of first rising). When machine beeps at end of cycle, remove dough and place on lightly floured work surface. Roll out dough to the length of the loaf pan, roll it up, tuck the ends under, and place in the greased 8-1/2"x4-1/2" loaf pan, cover loosely with greased cling wrap and leave to rise until doubled in size. Remove cling wrap, make a slash down the length of the dough, brush with melted butter and bake at 175C for 30 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.

#51/100

20 comments:

  1. Looks good, I don't like baking in the bread machine either...I find it very difficult to dislodge the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Joyce, looks like we can exchange bread today, hehehe! Using butter to brush on the top instead of egg wash, any difference from using egg wash except for the taste after cooling down?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The texture is very nice! I also prefer bread baked in the oven, though I get lazy at times and let the bread machine do everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bread , Joyce ! The texture looks nice indeed !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooi nice with home made strawberry jam?? Strawberries fr Cameron maybe?? Winkwink

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet this was delicious!! A classic with butter! Oh, I bet the house smelled so good when this was baking. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Se ve muy tentador y esponjoso su pan muy sabroso,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce, love your bread! I miss bread very much, especially sandwiches :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce, you are tempting me with your description on the bread, looks like I need to try this out. BTW the paddle/kneader of the bread machine can be removable? For me, I will remove it before the proofing, so the bread will be perfect without hole. But of course the external look not nice due to the shape of the machine baking pan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I can definitely see that this bread is soft and fluffy. Great texture!
    Thanks for sharing with See Ya in the Gumbo this week, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Picture perfect bread...the crumb looks divine. Perfect for that morning toast :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. me too, i dont like the hole that caused by the hook of the breadmachine at the base of the bread..! but cant deny that making bread in breadmachines is much easier than doing it manually. nice loaf, joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss baking, after 2 weeks of holiday ;) Your bread looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I rarely bake white sandwich loaves, but I could be tempted by this one.
    Like you, I never used my bread machine for baking, the shape was so odd, and the hole on the bottom ugly. Also, I didn't think it made a good crust. But for mixing and rising it worked really well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comMonday, June 10, 2013

    So classic and delish. Yummy to go with a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and have a wonderful week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a fabulous week and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete