Saturday, June 22, 2013

Crispy Curry Fried Chicken : The Picnic Game

I am "going" on a picnic and I'm bringing some delicious food beginning with the letter C, ....  for Crispy Curry Fried Chicken. For those of you who are familiar with Louise, the lovely lady from Months of Edible Celebrations, would know about this on-line picnic called, The Picnic Game, that Louise is hosting each June, with the final round-up on 1st July.

And I'm "going" on a picnic with Louise and all the lovely ladies who has joined in the fun.  This is the second time that I've joined The Picnic Game. June 18th is International Picnic Day and Louise has invited us for a picnic game for the month of June. The game is played by selecting a letter and you are supposed to make some food beginning from your chosen letter, to the picnic. The chosen letter will be confirmed and assigned to each person by Louise, like in my case, I chose the letter C, and it is for Crispy Curry Fried Chicken. And that's not all, each of us must list what the other persons before your letter, are bringing! It is a fun on-line picnic game!




I'm going on a picnic and I'm bringing ............
A - Aloo Gobi
B -
C - Crispy Curry Fried Chicken


Yums!


The combination of curry spices.  

I love the usage of lime zest for these, first time I added to a spice for fried chicken! Half of these spice mixture are mixed with some yoghurt. The chicken pieces are then coated with this yoghurt-spice mixture and put aside for a couple of hours in the refrigerator. The rest of the spices are mixed with some flour and just before frying, the chicken pieces are coated with this flour-spice mixture. Bring the chicken out from the refrigerator about 20-30 minutes before frying , bringing it back to room temperature.

I have used chicken drumsticks, which take quite awhile to fry to ensure that the insides are fully cooked. The next time, I would use my favourite part of the chicken, the wings. I love eating chicken wings, especially when they are fried till really crispy, yum! 


These are really crispy and delicious when eaten hot. And just wonderful for a picnic! I'm sure everyone will be reaching out for one of these crispy drumsticks!


Now, who wants to sit next to me, or rather, next to my Crispy Curry Fried Chicken at the Picnic Table?  Better hurry......, or they'll disappear real quick!!!  Hahaha!


To see what's in the picnic basket, don't forget to visit Louise from Months of Edible Celebrations on 1st of July, where she will do a round-up of all the delicious food that everyone is bringing to The Picnic Game


And I'm also sharing this post with :
See Ya In The Gumbo hosted my Ms. enPlace
Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Little Thumbs Up event where the theme for his month is Curry Powder/Curry Paste, hosted by Everybody Eats Well in Flanders, organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids and Doreen from my little favourite D.I.Y.

Little Thumbs Up


and ....

"Cook-Your-Books #1" hosted by me, Kitchen Flavours. Cook or bake any recipes from your cookbooks or magazines and link them up at "Cook-Your-Books"full details from here.

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg


Crispy Curry Fried Chicken
(adapted from "Look+Cook" by Rachael Ray)
Serves 4
2 tablespoons curry powder, such as Madras
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon celery seed or ground cardamom
1 tablespoon grated lime zest plus 8 wedges of lime
1 cup whole-fat plain yoghurt
1 whole chicken, cut for frying into 8 pieces
salt and pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour
vegetable, salflower or peanut oil for frying

In a small bowl, mix together the curry, chili powder, onion and garlic powders, poultry seasoning, celery seed or ground cardamom, and lime zest, and set aside.
Combine half of the spice mixture with the yoghurt. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with the yoghurt. This can be done as much as 24 hours ahead. Keep the chicken aside, covered, in the refrigerator until about 30 minutes before you are ready to cook it.
Place the flour in a large brown paper bag, add the remainder of the spice mix to it, and shake the bag. Add 4 chicken pieces and shake to coat. 
In a large pot at least five inches high, heat 2-1/2 to 3 inches of frying oil over medium to medium-high heat. Insert the handle of a wooden spoon in the oil. If rapid bubbles come out and away from the handle, the oil is ready. Fry the 4 pieces of coated chicken for 12 minutes, turning once. Coat the remaining chicken while the first batch fries up. Cool the chicken on a rack and sprinkle with a little extra salt. Allow the oil to heat back up for a minute or two, then fry the second batch. Serve with the lime wedges to squirt over the crispy curry chicken.

#56/100

26 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce!

    Oh isn't this going to be such FUN!!! And what's a picnic without Crispy Curry Fried Chicken??? I could almost dive into the ingredients alone!!! I can't wait to nibble on some of that chicken. I'll be setting up my blanket right next to you!

    Thank you so much for playing the Picnic Game, Joyce. "See" you there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I order one piece of crispy curry drumstick, please?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crispy Curry Fried Chicken? What a delight!! I would never pass this up for anything at all, Joyce. It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow! Crispy chicken? Like Louise, I'll gonna set up my blanket next to yours before all the chicken are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guys , get away from that crispy curried wings , I've seen it first lol Joyce , what a flavorful and SCRUMPTIOUS dish you've got there ! I'll seat beside you during the Picnic Game , okay ? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce, I think I had this recipe but keep putting it off cos' of the deep frying [what to do with the oil, then?]. I believe this is yummy and very aromatic with all the spices added.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce , boy the chicken looks good and the curry will top it off . 'Crispy Curry Chicken' will be on my picnic table the July 4th . See you at the picnic.:-)

    I'm so grateful Louise told me about you .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Notice quite a lot flavours inside the seasoning. Must be very good! Few fried drumsticks for me please :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yums is right, Joyce. I like the sound of the lime zest--fun twist! I also prefer fried chicken wings. My husband thinks I'm crazy since there's not a lot of meat on them, but I still like them best.
    Thank you for sharing @ See Ya in the Gumbo this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This look really delicious Joyce I love Louise pic nic I will make a recipe too!
    hey right now I finish my post to cook your books and I want you see my recipe is Ok, I put the link to your blog and the badge:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to post my letter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comSunday, June 23, 2013

    Hi Joyce, this is indeed finger licking GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joyce, I love your crispy curry fried chicken! So delicious and I agree that chicken wings would be awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These chicken legs look lipsmacking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely want to sit next to you! This sounds amazing, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice looking meal! I will be linking your post up as soon as I have Eton Mess on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joyce,

    I'm still trying to catch up visiting all the curry posts... *sign*

    Your curry fried chicken looks finger-licking good... better than KFC! What a perfect picnic food. Got to checkout your new event!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  19. YUMMY! Looks so good that now I wanted to make some too! Droooling! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmm, the spices look so good. I'm going to have to get to the picnic early to make sure there is still some chicken left!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this chicken. Great photos and step by step, too! What's a picnic without fried chicken? and curry-fried.. well even better! Glad I'm at this picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Joyce,
    I am sure they were finger-licking good. How I wish i have a deep-fryer machine so that I can deep-fry without any fears of oil splattering in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Joyce
    Time is growing near ... watching to see where you spread your blanket ,my blanket will be near .

    ReplyDelete
  24. That sounds fabulous! I may have to try it next time I fry chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Joyce!

    Just dropped by to pick up some Crispy Curry Fried Chicken! It's National Fried Chicken Day and I wanted to share your terrific recipe on Twitter:)

    Thank you again for all the enjoyment and food you brought to the Picnic Game!

    ReplyDelete