Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Kahlua Mocha Ice Cream : The Picnic Game

I am "going" on a picnic and I'm bringing some yummilicious dessert beginning with the letter K, ....  for Kahlua Mocha Ice Cream. Yup, I'm bringing one more goodie to share with everyone at The Picnic Game. For those of you who are familiar with Louise, the lovely lady from Months of Edible Celebrations, would know about this on-line picnic called, The Picnic Game, that Louise is hosting each June, with the final round-up on 1st July.


And I'm "going" on a picnic with Louise and all the lovely ladies who has joined in the fun.  This is my second submission to The Picnic Game. June 18th is International Picnic Day and Louise has invited us for a picnic game for the month of June. The game is played by selecting a letter and you are supposed to make some food beginning from your chosen letter, to the picnic. The chosen letter will be confirmed and assigned to each person by Louise, like in my case, I chose the letter K, and it is for Kahlua Mocha Ice Cream. And that's not all, each of us must list what the other persons before your letter, are bringing! It is a fun on-line picnic game!





I'm going on a picnic and I'm bringing ............
A - Aloo Gobi
E - Eton Mess
(I will update as we go along into The Picnic Game)

If you are a coffee lover, and you love ice cream, then you got to give this a try. What's not to love? It has Kahlua! The sound of Kahlua already sounds so good! :) 

I've already made this many times. Super easy, yummy, and I like that while it is creamy, it is not so overly creamy, and the flavour from the coffee, cocoa powder and the Kahlua, all comes together in one delicious combination. And the good news is, there are no eggs, so there's no any need to cook the usual custard! Everything just mixed in together, this is so easy! It only takes about 5 minutes of mixing the ingredients.




I use instant coffee powder (Nescafe) for this, 2 level tablespoons and you can definitely taste the  coffee. If you want a milder coffee taste, just reduce the amount of instant coffee powder. The amount of cocoa powder at 2 level tablespoons (I use Van Houten), is just right when mixed with the instant coffee powder to give a nice mocha taste. 




Pour the milk into a 4-cup capacity glass measuring cup, add in sugar, instant coffee powder, sifted cocoa powder and whisk to blend together until sugar melts. Add in the whipping cream, vanilla extract and Kahlua.  I've tried with one tablespoon of Kahlua the first time when I made this, there's just a faint Kahlua scent and flavour, so I tried with 2 tablespoons the second time round, it gives a softer set and a nice Kahlua flavour! Do not be too tempted to use too much of Kahlua, as too much of liquer might result in a too-soft ice cream. Mix everything together, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight until completely chilled. I mixed mine at night and left it in the refrigerator overnight.

Next morning, stir the mixture well and churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. The texture will be very soft and not as thick set as other ice cream, transfer to a container and freeze until set. This ice cream is soft, it can be scoop easily direct from the freezer and melts really fast. It is creamy, but not so overly creamy and is pretty addictive, at least to me! 


I'm bringing a super huge tub of this delicious Kahlua Mocha Ice Cream to The Picnic Game. If you see a lady standing next to a big plate of Crispy Curry Fried Chicken with a big tub of Kahlua Mocha Ice Cream and an ice cream scoop in her hand, with empty cups to be filled, yup, that will be me! Just say hi, and you will be served with Crispy Curry Fried Chicken and a scoop, OK, two scoops of Kahlua Mocha Ice Cream! You better hurry, hahaha!

To see what's in the picnic basket, don't forget to visit Louise from Months of Edible Celebrations on 1st of July, where she will do a round-up of all the delicious food that everyone is bringing to The Picnic Game

Thank you Louise, for organizing a wonderful picnic! I can't wait to feast on what our friends are bringing!  :)


Kahlua Mocha Ice Cream
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoon Kahlua
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract


In a 4-cup capacity measuring glass cup, whisk to combine the milk, granulated sugar, instant coffee powder and sifted cocoa powder until dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream, Kahlua and vanilla. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours until cold, or overnight.
Churn cold mixture in your ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. The ice cream will have a soft creamy texture. Transfer to a container and freeze until firm.

21 comments:

  1. Oh my holy goodness, Joyce! "If YOU see a lady standing next to a big plate of Crispy Curry Fried Chicken with a big tub of Kahlua Mocha Ice Cream and an ice cream scoop in her hand, with empty cups to be filled, yup, that will be ME! It's goodies like this yumminess that really makes the entire day shine, Joyce.

    Thank you so much for toting all these goodies to the Picnic. You will NOT believe how full those picnic baskets are. Wait until you see! It is going to be a grand picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HMmmmmmmm good , Joyce save me two scoops .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and Kahlua have a special bond! It was the first alcoholic drink I drunk the whole bottle and I think I go a bit drunk because I was like 13 but love this stuff! and with ice cream is the perfect combination!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this ice-cream looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Kahlua and chocolate go so well together- I'd love a couple of scoops of this wonderful stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, I will bring a big bowl to the picnic and come for your ice-cream first. Then I'll take the fried chicken hah! hah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this Ice Cream Joyce!!
    (I have other récipe to the picnic too)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce, due to this hot weather, i hope to have a scope of your ice-cream !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your ice cream looks amazing! When I visit Malaysia, I come look for you to try your ice cream and cooking, can? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alcoholic ice cream.. woohoooo! I want some too please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce , I'm gonna steal this recipe sometime :D Okay , let me have a scoop of your delicious boozy ice cream right now !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always wanted to make own ice-cream. Have to wait till own ice-cream maker. Definitely will visit this fabulous ice-cream recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comThursday, June 27, 2013

    Oh Joyce, I am going to love this ice-cream! I must make sure I will be the first to arrive at the picnic with a big empty container! ...
    and your finger licking good chicken too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'll be sitting next to you, joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH my! I soo want to eat this!! My favorite flavour ice-cream & you've even made it with Kahlua . Can I sit next to you & Lena ahh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cool, reserve a scoop for me too. I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lady, you are tempting me, once again. You make the greatest food. It is ice cream season and I have no excuse to make this but if I sit near you, will you share?

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of my favorite flavors--and this will be so refreshing if it's hot for the picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can't stay away , had to come over to do some more drooling ... hurry Picnic Day .

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have any idea how to bring this home with me at the picnic party??? Slurppp....>o<
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yum. This is makes finding our ice cream maker really imperative!!

    ReplyDelete