Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Bacon-Cheddar-Green Onions Scones : ABC June 2013

Our bake for this month at Avid Baker's Challenge (ABC) is Bacon-Cheddar-Chive Scones, a delicious savoury scones, recipe taken from King Arthur Flour's (KAF) website. We, at ABC is currently baking from KAF recipes until end December. 

When this recipe was chosen for our June bake, I thought that it sounded familiar. Checked from my file of printed recipes, and found it, I actually printed this recipe from KAF' website on 3rd Nov 2011!  It took a little push, and one and half years later, to make this savoury scone, thanks to ABC! And another recipe which I've printed at the same time, is our coming bake in August!


The original recipe uses chives, but I have replaced with green onions. I do have some chives growing in my backyard, but when I made the dough, it was already about 9.30pm, and it was a little too late to go round snipping herbs from my backyard. I do have some green onions in my fridge, so that was what I used. 


I made the dough and placed them in the baking pan, and kept it in the fridge. The next morning, at 4.45 am, (yes, it was that early!) I baked them for the kids' breakfast before school. So it was all nice, moist and tender when they had it for breakfast. 



I made only half a recipe, and got eight small scones, just perfect for breakfast. The only changes I've made was to substitute the chives with green onions, and to add some coarse black pepper powder. The salt was reduced by half, and it still turns out a little salty, next time I will not add any salt, because the cheese, bacon and butter are already salted.



Photo taken at about 5.30am, that explains the different colour lighting from the photo below...


....  taken at about 10.00 am when the sun is up! Haha! There's only one piece left for me! 
These scones are buttery, moist, tender and yummy! A breeze to make! Make the dough the night before, which is very quick to put together, place the dough in the fridge and bake the next morning for breakfast, fresh and delicious!

For the full recipe, you may get it from KAF's website, here.



ABC source in 2013     Avid Baker's Challenge


To view the other members bake, please stop by Avid Baker's Challenge (ABC). We are currently baking from King Arthur Flour website, if you are interested to join in, please contact Hanaa.


25 comments:

  1. Baking even before 530am.. You are an early bird, Joyce :-)
    They look lipsmacking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how lovely! Don't you enjoy savory scones? Such a nice change from the sweet versions. Thank you for sharing my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Joyce they look real good and delicious! you did them just like me and you should try next and put the dried tomatoes it gives them a real nice taste...mmm I can still smell them too yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, those scones must be packed full of flavours! And with bacon whoo hoo! Do we need to bring the refrigerated dough to room temperature or can just put in straight into the oven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong,
      I took out the pan of ready-cut dough and let it sit on the kitchen counter while I preheat the oven. Bake as usual, with a minute or two extra to the baking time.

      Delete
  5. I too baked some scones last night! I believe I have this recipe pinned in my pinterest for future trying:D looks too good to pass up! Will try this soon as I love the cheddar green onions scones that I have baked previously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, it's would be so comforting to wake up in the morning with the whole house full of scones aroma:)
    My first scone was baking with bake along event. I like it very much.
    Your savory scones looks great. It would be a wonderful breakfast with a cup of tea
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce! The 3rd and 4th pics look like thick omelette that we have with porridge at home! Haha... But the savoury scones are certainly perfect for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scone texture looks so nice, one piece for me please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that last photo of the scone, I want to take a large bite of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your scones look so temptingly good!! How to lose weight like this if I want to bake?? Hehehe I need more guinea pigs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm still in bed at 5am! wow, you still keeping those long time printed recipes? i bet you are still using those sticky notes too! btw, that's a nice combination of a savoury scone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for letting us know that the dough can be put in the fridge and baked fresh the next morning! I love the different colors in yours. These were a hit in my house too (I omitted the bacon and reduced the salt and they were OK for us).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totalmente irresistible Joyce que sabroso me encanta,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look great, pinning right now! My husband would absolutely love these, so I might save him a couple. ;) It would be great if you could stop by and link these up to Tasty Tuesdays at my site, Hungry Harps - http://www.hungryharps.com/2013/06/tasty-tuesdays-13-we-want-your-man-food.html Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These would make a tasty breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joyce , I haven't had a scone for more than a year :P .... Your scones look wonderful and delicious ! Lovely flavor and texture as well . You can never go wrong with bacon and cheese combo :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce, these savoury scones sound perfect for breakfast. Love the buttery, moist and tender texture!Delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Joyce, this looks so SO yummy ! I absolutely want to taste a scone, one day ! ANd yours seems very worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is one of my favorite combination, although have to try to make scones...love the texture of this scone Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea for scones! They look so good my mouth is watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. its like your wrote this post for me because although I like sweet scones- I LOVE and adore savory scones! green onions and cheddar are perfect together

    ReplyDelete
  22. Though I always ferment my bread doughs in the fridge I didn't think of doing this with the scones. Good idea. And good looking scones!
    After reading some of the other reviews, I also cut down on the salt. We loved them.

    ReplyDelete