Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Almond Orange Florentines : IHCC

"Nuts and Seeds", our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are currently cooking from our featured chef, Yotam Ottolenghi's recipes until September.  Ever since I've seen this recipe Almond Orange Florentines, I just can't wait to make it. Firstly, I have never made Florentines before, and I love almonds and oranges, so this combination is just perfect.



Almond Orange Florentines
These are very addictive!!!


There are only four ingredients, egg whites, confectioner's sugar, almonds and orange zest. Bittersweet chocolate is optional, it is melted and use to coat the bottom of the florentines, optional, but it is so, so, good with these florentines!

Recipe calls for blanched sliced almonds, but I have used unblanched sliced almonds. I have always prefer unblanched almonds as they are more natural and looks very nice with the skin on. The four ingredients are mixed together gently. Scoop out about a rounded tablespoon of this mixture, place it on the prepared baking sheet, using the back of a spoon or a fork, spread the mixture as thinly as possible without leaving any gap in between the almonds. The florentines I've made  was about 3-1/2" across. I've made half a recipe and got only 7 pieces.

Bake them in the oven at 150C for 20-25 minutes, though mine took about 35 minutes. I used two baking sheets, and rotate the position of the sheets every 10 minutes, until the florentines are brown and crispy.


These are crispy, and deliciously fragrant with the orange zest. So good eaten without the melted chocolate ...


.... even YUMMIER when coated with melted chocolate on the bottom of the florentine! So, so, addictive! Definitely will be baking this again!  Another delicious reason to use up some of the egg whites in my freezer!


Almond Orange Florentines
(source from here, adapted from Ottolenghi)
makes 20-26 cookies
vegetable oil
2 cups sliced almonds (without skins)
zest of 1 orange
2 egg whites, room temperature
2/3 cup confectioner's sugar
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate (optional)

Preheat oven to 300F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment of silicone mats and brush with vegetable oil. Fill a small bowl with cold water and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine almonds, orange zest, egg whites and confectioner's sugar and gently mix to combine. Dip your hands in the water and pick up about 1/4 cup of the almond mixture and place on the prepared baking sheets. Using your hand or the back of a fork, dipped in the water, gently flatten the cookies. You want the cookies to be as thin as possible without having gaps between the nuts. The florentine should be about 3-4 inches across.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the florentines are golden brown all over (cooking time will depend on the size of your cookies). Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheets before removing.

Once cooled, if you'd like to spread chocolate on the bottom of your florentines, melt 7 ounces of bittersweet chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds intervals. Stir until smooth and using a offset spatula or a pastry brush, coat the bottom of each florentine with a thin layer of chocolate. Place on a rack, chocolate side up and allow to set.

Store florentines in an airtight container for up to 5 days.



IHCC Ottolenghi Leek
Badge resized

Please stop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) to view what my friends have made for this week's theme, "Nuts and Seeds", and if you are interested to join us, please find out more details from IHCC.



I'm also linking this post with Little Thumbs Up, where the ingredient for this month is Eggs, hosted by Baby Sumo from Eat Your Heart Out, and organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, together with Doreen from My Little Favourite D.I.Y.

and sharing with :
See Ya In The Gumbo hosted by Ms. enPlace
Meatless Monday hosted by My Sweet and Savory
Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage


32 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! I've never tried these before (which must change). The flavor combo sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so yummy. Your recipe remind me that I still have one and a half bags of florentine mix at home. Have to check the expiry date later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, this is brilliant! I have a few oranges in the fridge and some frozen egg whites in the freezer. I think I will be very busy this weekend LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce , never had these before and they looks so yummy so they gotta be good , will try for the weekend . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these will go really well for my high tea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Florentines but have never made my own. These look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce,
    These are so lovely. I've always wanted to make almond crisps like this but never got round to it. This recipe is even better. Have bookmarked this! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crunchy and wholesome looking preparation.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so pretty, Joyce! Nice choice for the theme this week. I like the idea of the orange and almond combo.
    Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty looking crunchy and addictive florentines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joyce,

    I'm imagining the wonderful crunch of your florentines by the look of your pictures... Hmmm, they must be very nice!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to give you a lot of credit, Joyce. You just jump right in even if it is something you never made before. Kudos to you! They sure look lovely and actually sound pretty easy even for me, lol...I'm slowly acquiring a tast for chocolate and orange so I would absolutely include it if I'mm ever feeling adventurous.

    Thank you so much for sharing, I do wish I had one right now with my tea:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joyce,
    You have fabulous results with these! On my to-do-list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look so delicious and crisp. Love the orange and almond combo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These florentines look so crisp and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too have not tried baking these, looks crispy and delicate...must be good huh with so much almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crispy looking treats! Oh yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Muy rico se ve delicioso estupenda golosina,saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. during the last cny, i have also made these using the premixed florentine..and i love that..some i just put pumpkin seeds ..really like the crunchiness of the florentines!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderfully elegant cookie! I vote for the chocolate coating on the bottom too!
    Positively yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the idea of adding orange in this cookies...look so good Joyce!
    Hope you are having an enjoyable week my dear :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the name of these cookies, florentine, sounds like someone's name. Crunchy crunch crunch, I like the crunchy almond flakes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such pretty cookies and the flavour combination sounds delicious (especially with the chocolate).

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love little crisp treats like this and can't wait to taste these. Thank you so much for sharing your delicious recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Have a great weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your florentines look just perfect--so pretty, especially with the chocolate on them. I love florentines but I have never tried making them myself. I might have to give it a try now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your florentines look wonderful & these are so addictive, especially with the chocolate....a little chocolate always works wonders I find!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Joyce , you've baked these perfectly ! Those pretty crispy florentines sure look yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Have a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete