Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mac and Cheese (Nigella)

What is it about Mac and Cheese that never fails to bring a delight to kids, teenagers included. I made these for lunch on one of the school weekdays, and when my kids came back from school, big grin on their faces!


Very simple and does not take up much time to make. Simply cook the macaroni till al dente. The cheese mixture are just a few ingredients ; grated cheddar cheese, eggs, evaporated milk, grated nutmeg and salt to taste. Mix all the ingredients together. Drain the cooked macaroni and mix with the cheese mixture. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until it is bubbling and macaroni has blistered a little. Before baking, I have divided the macaroni mixture into two baking dish of 7" square. It took about 20 minutes for the sauce to bubble and with some blistered top.


Upon request from the kids, I have scattered some grated Mozzarella cheese over the top of one dish and bake for a further 10 minutes until the cheese melts. 


They love the cheezy one better, obviously!! 




Mac and Cheese
(adapted from "Nigella Express", Nigella Lawson)
serves 4
8 oz macaroni (I use 6 oz)
2 cups coarsely chopped mature Cheddar or red Leicester cheese, or a mixture of both
1 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs
grating of fresh nutmeg
grated mozzarella cheese (for the top)

  1. Preheat the oven to 425F. Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions, drain, and then put back into the hot pot.
  2. While the pasta's cooking, put the cheese, evaporated milk, eggs, and nutmeg in a processor and blitz to mix. Or grate the cheese and mix everything by hand.
  3. Pour over the macaroni, stir well, and season to taste.
  4. Tip into a 10-inch-diameter dish (wide and shallow is best) and bake for 10-15 minutes or until it is bubbling and blistering on top.
#84/100

I'm linking this post to Cook Like A Star, where the featured chef for this month is NIGELLA LAWSON. Cook Like A Star is an event organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, and the co-hosts for this month are Anuja from Simple Baking and me, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours. Cook or bake any of Nigella Lawson's recipes and link your posts to any of the hosts' linky which will stay open for the whole month of August. All submissions to this event must be current posts, published within the current month of this event, any older posts will be deleted. Please mention and link Cook Like A Star somewhere in your post. Do join us, everyone is welcome!



Cook Like A Star featuring Nigella Lawson, from 1st August to 31st August 2013



and Little Thumbs Up, where the ingredient for this month is Eggs, hosted by Baby Sumo from Eat Your Heart Out, and organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, together with Doreen from My Little Favourite D.I.Y.



18 comments:

  1. I have not make mac n cheese before, maybe I should give this a go! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't try this way of cooking Mac n cheese. I'm sure my kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perfect comfort food! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came in for a piece of your pizza but got mac and cheese instead lol! I have always avoided baking this dish because of the huge amount of cheese involved, stingy me:P
    Yours looks really nice and golden and I can understand why the kids preferred the cheesy one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely one of those easy and delicious recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce,

    There is so many versions of mac and cheese that I came across... Seems like every celebrity chef has their own version.

    I thought of cooking this very kid-friendly Nigella's one too but love to try the ultimately cheesy Southern-American Paula Deen's one at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/the-ultimate-ladys-cheesy-mac-and-cheese-recipe/index.html... Wanna cook that next year???

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce
    Oh this look so easy and fast meal. I always had a "headache" what to have for lunch and this should be it for a quick and easy meal. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter's fave! Love the creamy and cheesy taste!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce ... family loves mac & cheese , yours is just so yummy thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. My all time favourite comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son loves mac and cheese. Easy to prepare. Your dish look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joyce, I reckon it's the melted cheese that makes kids love mac and cheese. My kids adore it too! Great and comforting. YUM! Thx for linking this to LTU!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this mac and cheese. Few days ago, i have baked Chocolate Banana Cake from Nigella Lawson, very nice cake but too bad i didn't take a photograph due to my horrible headaches after that. Anyway, I love her recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love macaroni and cheese and so so my kids. I think everyone does!! It is always a welcome and comforting dish and you can do so many delicious variations. Blessings dearest. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. joyce, do you believe that i hv never eaten mac and cheese before? i must really try one day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Macaroni and Cheese is a favorite around here too! I've never made it with eggs before though. Interesting concept. I'll have to try it for Marion one day. She keeps buying those frozen boxes! (There are about 10 in the freezer right now:)

    Thanks for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love pasta and cheese as long as the pasta is not macaroni :P I know it's weird lol I love the use of evaporated milk in this version :D

    ReplyDelete