Friday, August 9, 2013

Lime Curd

A few days ago, my hubby brought back a bag of limes, given by his boss, from his father's lime tree. I was all smiles, as I was actually thinking of getting some limes just a couple of days before! Now that I have a basketful of fresh limes, the first thing that came to mind was lime curd!



A basketful of fresh limes


Ingredients for the lime curd : egg, lime juice, butter, sugar and lime zest (last three items not in the photo). Half cup of lime juice is required, and I have used about 8 limes of various sizes.


Four egg yolks and two whole eggs are mixed with some sugar and the  juice until well combined. This mixture is then cooked over medium low heat for about 8 minutes until mixture is thick and coats the back of the spoon. Strain into a small bowl, add the butter, a piece at a time until melted and well combined. Stir in the lime zest. Let cool completely.


Store in a jar and keep refrigerated.



Colour is a beautiful sunny yellow due to the egg yolks, looks like lemon curd, but the taste is definitely "lime-y", with the bits of lime zest throughout the curd!  :)


Silky smooth curd, thanks to the addition of butter. This is very yummy! Watch out for my next post when I used it for some bakes.

Lime Curd
(adapted from "Martha Stewart's Pies & Tarts")
4 large egg yolks
2 large whole eggs
3/4 cup sugar
finely grated zest of 2 limes 
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  1. Whisk together egg yolks and whole eggs. Combine with sugar and lime juice in small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes, or until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
  2. Stir to cool slightly. Strain into a small bowl; add butter, a piece at a time, stirring until smooth. Stir in zest, let cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until chilled, 30 minutes or up to to 2 days. (this is to be used in one of Martha's tartlet recipes, I store the cooled curd in a jar and keep refrigerated). 
#73/100


18 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,
    The lime curd look so yummy and silky smooth. I am waiting for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lime curd looks very tangy and tasty. Wonderfully prepared.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce, the lime curd looks amazing! Can't wait to see what you're going to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, your lime curd looks yummy! Like I can eat it by the spoonfuls LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a special affection towards citrus curd. They look pretty in the colour; nice to eat & you can just use it to spread on some crepes, bread, cookies.....love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce, I love curds... Nigella also has recipe for lime curd which I wanted to try for this month's CLAS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i dont hv to make aso i know it's yummy! hahaha! so many limes there..make another jar for me la! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love making lemon curd but I haven't tried with lime yet. What a good idea! Thank you for sharing...now if only someone would bring me a bag of limes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Su cuajada de limón ha quedado muy perfecta me encantó,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful gift, Joyce. Don't you love gifts that just keep on giving, lol...Your Lime Curd looks so beautiful. (can lime curd look beautiful I wonder:) Well, yours sure does. Enjoy every single dollop and, thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love lime more than lemon, so this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you got my attention on this bread.... bookmarked! tks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look delicious I love lemon curd and this sure is amazing Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comSunday, August 11, 2013

    Joyce, thanks for sharing. I like this and I'm going to try this. So smooth and silky and the colour is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess the smell of this lime curd must be so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce , my mouth's puckering ! I just can imagine the taste of this pretty lime curd and cream cheese together :D Love it !

    ReplyDelete