Monday, August 26, 2013

THB : Morning Glory Breakfast Cake

Time for our bake at The Home Bakers (THB). For this week's bake #23, my baking buddy, Lena from Frozen Wings has chosen this healthy wholesome cake, Morning Glory Breakfast Cake.

Just as the name implies, this cake is most suitable for breakfast, with lots of healthy ingredients like wholewheat flour, rolled oats, wheat bran, nuts, dried fruits, flaked coconuts, grated carrots, grated apples and fresh blueberries! And not a trace of oil or butter at all! 


I like the name of the cake, it sounds very pretty, "Morning Glory Breakfast Cake", the image of the morning glory flowers comes to mind! 

From the recipe, it has a long list of ingredients and to be truthful, I was sceptical about this bake. There are too many ingredients and I am the sort who love simple cakes, and for me, there are just too many ingredients in it. That being said, I decided to bake the cake as closely as possible without omitting anything other than the bran which I have replaced with more rolled oats. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the whole time I'm mixing the ingredients that the cake would turn out one that I would enjoy eating.

Other ingredients used are brown sugar, dark molasses, eggs, and yoghurt. There's not a trace of oil at all, or even butter. The top of the batter are sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar mixture before baking.

It took me longer to bake this cake, the recipe says to bake it about 25 to 30 minutes for a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. I made half a recipe and use a 8" square baking pan. At the end of 30 minutes, the cake is still wobbly and not cooked, and I continue baking it for another 30 minutes, tenting the top with foil when the top gets a little too brown. 


This is one very moist cake! It is dense but with a nice soft texture, not too sweet. You can clearly taste all the ingredients, the dried fruits, oats, coconut, nuts, carrots and the apples. 
My review : A lovely healthy cake, perfect for breakfast, but my family did not care much for this cake, maybe because we are not used to eating cakes like this. The cake is nice, it is just that we prefer eating plain cakes without too much of ingredients in it. Eating this cake reminds me of a fruitcake. But if you love healthy bars and cakes, then you might like this. 


For the full recipe, please visit Lena from Frozen Wings and to view other members' bake, drop by The Home Bakers (THB).



Welcome to The Home Bakers


We are a group of home bakers who are currently baking from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas, until each recipe from this book has been baked. This is our bake no. 23 and we have 37 recipes more to go. If you are interested to be a member and join in our bakes, you may drop me an email at kitchenflavours@yahoo.com.

#83/100

15 comments:

  1. First time visit to your blog.
    This is a fantastic recipe with healthy ingredients and lots of flavor.
    Great post, will be back for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this cake, and enjoyed it. But my photos didn't turn out very well so don't know if I should post them :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tempting and healthy looking cake for breakfast. Pics look amazing.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, Joyce, actually sometimes, I think the name of the recipe will affect the people's judgement too, hehehe! It looks moist & there is no guilt to eat more than one slice of this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a Great while writing in the blogs it is awesome I liked it too much good and informative thanks for the sharing
    Estetik.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healthy breakfast - I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, usually heh..heh...I don't like the healthy cakes. But I won't mind tasting a slice of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is super-duper healthy and energy-packed! Perfect for a morning perk-me-up brealfast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi joyce, actually there's something that i forgot to tell you. When i submitted my choice to you, i actually overlooked that there is more inhgredients on the second page..all the while i thot it was just directions on the 2nd page..only realised that days prior baking the cake! haha..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce! Yes I was quite shocked when I see the list of ingredients! But it turned out to be a really moist cake, and it's the first time I wish I added more sugar! Most of the time it's always been the other way round, reduce the sugar! Will be blogging about them soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joyce,

    Saw your comment... Funny that you think this recipe will relate well with the health freak me! Hey, I like butter too... you know :p - LOL!

    Like you, I'm crossing my fingers too when I was mixing this cake mix... As I said to Lena, I have to be fair to this recipe judging that this cake is ok for healthy eating. Can't compare these to those with heaps of butter and sugar!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't baked this cake
    Seeing the ingredients, I guess I 'll bake not too much cos I'm very sure I'll be the only one eating it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You described the cake beautifully. I like the idea of breakfast cakes filled with the goodies that start off our day bright and cheery. Lovely cake, Joyce.

    I will link mine tomorrow. I have a new recipe up and I like it so I want it to stay for another some hours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm skeptical about this cake actually but yours look great & moist! I'll give this recipe a go as I like the fact that is fat free cake . And the name itself sounds appealing but not that whole lot of ingredients though! LOL

    ReplyDelete